Westerns Unchained

No doubt the quality is going to be hit and miss but I couldn’t resist pre-ordering it.

A Collection of 25 Classic Spaghetti Westerns - all appearing for the first time on Blu-ray! Memorable films such as Kill Django, Lola Colt and Face to Face and featuring Richard Harrison, Robert Woods, Antonio Sabato, Klaus Kinski, Rory Calhoun, Guiliano Gemma and Lola Folana.

Cool, haven’t heard of this release before. I’m very curious about the other films on it and the quality! Guess we’ll find out in a few days.

Edit : So it’s all on one disc apparently, no expert on these things, but I gather the quality won’t be too good.

Its really funny that they advertise “all appearing for the first time on Blu-ray!”

Could someone please give a full breakdown of which films actually appear on the Blu-ray set?

[quote=“I love you M.E. Kay, post:2, topic:3107”]Cool, haven’t heard of this release before. I’m very curious about the other films on it and the quality! Guess we’ll find out in a few days.

Edit : So it’s all on one disc apparently, no expert on these things, but I gather the quality won’t be too good.[/quote]

I think they’re just substituting the multidisk boxset with a single blu ray disc, so each movie should be bargain dvd quality.

I don’t think anybody knows yet!

Depending on the type of bluray disc, it can either hold 27gb or 54gb, so either about 1 or 2gigs per movie, which is not great.

A budget DVD will generally be about 3-4gigs for a movie.

But a movie can still look pretty good at 1-2gigs if its encoded correctly… certainly below DVD or Bluray quality though

Here is a pic of the back of the box stating the titles in the collection.

1 Like

Wow, lotta these I haven’t seen. Either that, or the names have been changed. Pity there’s no DVD release for this.

[quote=“autephex, post:6, topic:3107”]Depending on the type of bluray disc, it can either hold 27gb or 54gb, so either about 1 or 2gigs per movie, which is not great.

A budget DVD will generally be about 3-4gigs for a movie.

But a movie can still look pretty good at 1-2gigs if its encoded correctly… certainly below DVD or Bluray quality though[/quote]

So the films in this collection (that have had decent DVD releases) will probably look worse than they previously did? Suddenly, the way I think about blu-rays has changed.

It depends on a lot of different factors really… would be a case by case basis. Depends on how good the transfer on previous DVD releases look.

A video can look great with a smaller filesize, as long as it is handled correctly… but if the video is from the same source, it will always look better the larger the filesize, as less compression is required and also a higher resolution is possible

So its not as simple as saying it will be bad quality because each movie will be shrunk to a small size, but its nowhere near what bluray quality is considered to be. In this case, the bluray is just a storage medium which has a higher capacity than a DVD

The way I see it is that if some of the obscurer titles on there are at least watchable it’s worth it.

[quote=“autephex, post:10, topic:3107”]It depends on a lot of different factors really… would be a case by case basis. Depends on how good the transfer on previous DVD releases look.

A video can look great with a smaller filesize, as long as it is handled correctly… but if the video is from the same source, it will always look better the larger the filesize, as less compression is required and also a higher resolution is possible

So its not as simple as saying it will be bad quality because each movie will be shrunk to a small size, but its nowhere near what bluray quality is considered to be. In this case, the bluray is just a storage medium which has a higher capacity than a DVD[/quote]

Ah, ok! Thanks for the explanations, autephex! I’m a complete noob when it comes to that stuff.

True that!

Thanks. Some interesting titles there for sure - let us know what the quality is like when you get it!

Yeah I am also interested in some of these titles

… and price is very acceptable - i hope price on amazon.co.uk will be acceptable too (when it’ll show up)

Seems I’ll have to beg my parents for a Blu-Ray player… ;D

[quote=“tomas, post:15, topic:3107”]… and price is very acceptable - i hope price on amazon.co.uk will be acceptable too (when it’ll show up)[/quote]Just order it from .com, not sure if you know but it uses your existing details. And they convert the currency to £’s so you don’t end up with a conversion bank charge fee. Just remember not to buy more than £15 of stuff in one go as you will always get stung from customs with amazon packages.

Item(s) Subtotal: GBP 8.43
Shipping & Handling: GBP 4.20
-----
Total before tax: GBP 12.63
Estimated tax to be collected: GBP 0.00
-----
Grand Total: GBP 12.63

Just cancelled my amazon order.

It’s cheaper at dvdempire.

[quote=“Yodlaf Peterson, post:17, topic:3107”]Just order it from .com, not sure if you know but it uses your existing details. And they convert the currency to £’s so you don’t end up with a conversion bank charge fee. Just remember not to buy more than £15 of stuff in one go as you will always get stung from customs with amazon packages.

Item(s) Subtotal: GBP 8.43
Shipping & Handling: GBP 4.20
-----
Total before tax: GBP 12.63
Estimated tax to be collected: GBP 0.00
-----
Grand Total: GBP 12.63[/quote]

okay thanks for info, Yod

That’s why I pre-ordered it :smiley: . I know the quality of the films will be hit or miss, but there are a lot of films on there that I really would like to see.