Western TV shows

This looks wild

4 Likes

I’ll have to wait for an Xfinity free week as my cable subscription doesn’t include Showtime. I did a paper on John Brown for one of my college history courses, so I’ll be curious to see how accurate they got him. It looks like they’re making him an eccentric religious man from the trailer. He was eccentric and pious, and but I think they’re overplaying it.

I just assumed it was for laughs :thinking:

Maybe it’ll make more sense when the series arrives.

Hadn’t heard of Good Lord Bird yet, looking forward to it. Not too concerned with how accurate it is personally

One of the best western themed shows and overall shows I’ve seen in recent history is Preacher. I’m sure everyone here is aware of it/already seen it.

I’ve been trying to start back up on Hell On Wheels, but the series really lost my interest midway through season 2. I really liked the first episodes but it takes a direction that I find to be drawn out and boring. But I’m also not a big fan of railroad themes at this point, at least when it becomes the central element.

I still need to start HBO’s Deadwood, which I may do soon… and I meant to watch Branded a while back but never got around to it - mainly curious because I love Larry Cohen’s stuff.

Anyone seen this Gunslingers show on AHC / American Heroes Channel? I’ve never heard of this show or this TV network

I used to read the 2000AD reprints of PREACHER. I have not seen the series yet but I think the MISSIONARY MAN character would make a good series. Missionary_Man_(comics)

For those like me who need to feed their inner Longmire, check this out

1 Like

I assume you arent talkinga bout the animated show about the hilarious spy

My favorite TV Western of all time will always and forever be The Wild, Wild West (1965-69), have so many great childhood memories watching the reruns on TNT with my Dad on Saturday mornings in the 90’s.

I also like The High Chaparral.

1 Like

The High Chapparal was my favorite. I was re-watching the first season not long ago. I was always a fan of the original series Maverick as well - prior to James Garner leaving. I also really liked Wanted: Dead or Alive but that had more to do with Steve McQueen than anything.

Welcome to the site, @Eartpukaem! Justified is definitely a contemporary western in my opinion.

Just noticed that his Mexican production is about to land on Amazon soon

This the closest I could find to where this fit. Though not a typical western, I think anyone that has watched the TV show Justified will agree that it is, to an extent, a modern day western. I know several people on here are fans of the show so, for those that haven’t heard yet, Raylan Givens is back:

The original show holds a special place in my heart as a great deal of the series was set in Harlan County, Kentucky which (as I have shared before) is where the majority of my family comes from. As a matter of fact, the town where Raylan was born, Evarts Kentucky, sits on part of what was once my fourth great grandfather’s massive farm (Stupid Civil War! I could be rich now! :face_with_symbols_over_mouth: [Just kidding. :wink:])

5 Likes

Ah that’s cool. I knew it was in the works but wasn’t sure when it was coming. Raylan Givens! !! as walton goggins would say.

Not sure where it will be available here in the UK. I’ll have to look out.

2 Likes

I loved ‘Justified’ … and I’m no fan of cop shows (as they are today) … it was really an exceptional production, with exciting storylines, great humour, acting, likable interesting characters.

I will miss ‘Ava Crowder’, Joelle Carter, in the new series … as I had a big crush on her :heart_eyes: I think I’m way too old to have ‘crushes’ LOL

4 Likes

I think everyone had a thing for Ava. There was just something about that character.

I’ll pass this along as some might find it interesting…if not, just ignore it. I’m sure that most people that watched the show will remember the season with Mags Bennett, portrayed by Margo Martindale, who made the tasty apple pie moonshine. She was Raylan’s friend/nemesis all throughout season 2. Mags Bennett, according to the writers, was based on the real life Maggie Bailey who happened to be my grandfather’s second cousin. The real life Maggie began moonshining, and therefore bootlegging, around 1920 when she was only about 16 years old. She continued to do so, with the help of her two nephews, up until about 2005 when she passed away at the age of 101. Back in the 1940s she did do a stint of less that two years in prison but that was the only time the authorities bothered her. The reason being is that she was far too popular in the community, not only for her tasty moonshine but for her altruism as she was known to pay hospital bills for locals, send bags of groceries to them when they were down on their luck, and even put several of the local kids through college. I never had the pleasure of meeting the real Maggie but I did get to try some of her apple pie when visiting a cousin of mine once at Evarts back in the 90s. It was as smooth and as tasty as it gets and just the thought of it makes my mouth water to this day. :grin:

5 Likes

Anyone watched the Billy the Kid 2022 TV series?

Just started watching it as it is showing on Rte2 in Ireland - so far it looks good,

1 Like

I caught the first episode … better than expected, but lots of reviews on IMDB about historical inaccuracies … but then, there isn’t that much known about his early life.

2 Likes

Seems badass

1 Like

Bass Reeves has been quite the popular topic in movies and TV shows for the last few years. With Taylor Sheridan doing this one though, it should be top notch.

From what I know about the “real life” (supposedly, as good as we know) Bass Reeves, it’s quite a surprise he wasn’t featured in film and TV more often and earlier, I think.

Unfortunately, I don’t seem to be able to find access to Sheridan’s work. It just doesn’t do it for me. I found Hell or High Water okay at best. Wind River I thought was marginally better. 1883 for me was an extremely frustrating drag, and I really was relieved when it was finally over. So I’m not getting my hopes up.

1 Like