Waldo de los Rios

Because I am so completely hooked to the Savage Pampas soundtrack, I need to share my love and get talking to y’all. Waldo de Los Rios is said to have re-recorded his composition on his own, after the studio cut his stuff down (and if you watch the movie, there is not much left of his music in the film), and the result is just plainly… majestic. It’s said to be his best work, and without knowing any of his work, I think it is up there with the best music compositions ever made for a film.

This youtube links has the entire thing:

What’s great about it is, that you’ll hear how he thought of it as entire piece, with an overture, a middle part, and a climax. It’s just marvellous!

2 Likes

ScreenArchives still has the combined limited edition soundtrack for A Town Called Hell and Savage Pampas available for $4.95:

http://www4.screenarchives.com/title_detail.cfm/ID/13066/A-TOWN-CALLED-HELL-SAVAGE-PAMPAS-2-CD-1000-EDITION/

Contains 63 minutes of music from Savage Pampas, so the whole deal + a couple of alternative edits and demos.

And the two disk limited collectors edition also has a 28 p booklet in Spanish and English.

Damnit, I need to have all that :slight_smile:

De Rios did some fantastic film scores, but he was most successful with albums feat. symphonic pop versions of classical themes. Those were bestsellers then all over the world. He also arranged this super hit:

He suffered from depression in the late seventies and comitted suicide :frowning:

1 Like

Can someone with good Vinyl-finding-skills help me track down a record of the soundtrack? But the full on Waldo version, not the chopped down OST of course… the whole opera… which is also on Spotify and CD etc. I think there is a Spanish vinyl that is supposedly good but hard to get

So, what you’re asking is: Where’s Waldo?

:grinning:

(sorry)

Discogs is your friend in these situations. I’ve scored some really hard to find pieces with it.

Unfortunately people there know what’s rare and whats not. So you’re gonna get the rare tax for it. 320 Euros for the original Spanish LP, but it’s near mint, so that’s good news.

1 Like

And if you buy a LP for 320 Euros are you then meant to really play it? Sounds like a collector’s item only.

well yea no thanks not gonna spend 320 money on it hahaha :slight_smile:

In these cases I’d just transfer the vinyl to digital. I have a few rare ones that I played once and transfered to my computer and then are never touched by the needle again.

Yeah lol. I figured that. Unfortunately outside of Discogs it looks like it’s near impossible to find.

1 Like

Actually hold up, I’m not sure if this is the cut version or uncut version. But here’s two Spanish Vinyls for considerably less. One for like 80 euros and another for 120 euros. The site is good by the way. I’ve bought some stuff from there before.

https://en.todocoleccion.net/vinyl-records/waldo-rios-bso-pampa-salvaje-savage-pampas-hispavox-1966-ultra-rare~x49928836