Vote for Your Top 20 US Westerns

[quote=“Richard–W, post:153, topic:3170”]Bad Lieutenant, did anyone ever tell you that your facebook page is infantile?
There is not iota of cinematic aptitude or talent on your facebook page.

If you don’t like my list or my reasoning, don’t read it.

If you’re not to lazy to review the thread, you’ll find that some members have posted more than one list, exceeded twenty titles, and bent the rules this way and that way.[/quote]
HAHAHAHA, what a grimy, boorish and unsophisticated twat you are, Richard… :smiley:

It’s good that unlike you, Bad Lieutenant has a sense of humour and is not going to be displeased by your blatant churlishness.

I don’t think it’s about articulating one’s sentiments anymore. Richard overtly insults other members and such lowly demeanour should not be countenanced. Just like last.caress, I apologise for my uncouth comment, but there is no way I can blink at Richard provoking other members. He should get what he has been supplicating for a long time; he should finally get banned.

[quote=“ION BRITTON, post:2, topic:3170”]It’s my list from another thread and I’m reposting it here, it hasn’t changed much

1. LAWMAN
  2. THE WILD BUNCH
  3. DOC
  4. THE HUNTING PARTY
  5. PAT GARRET AND BILLY THE KID
  6. TOMBSTONE
  7. HEAVEN’S GATE
  8. MACHO CALLAHAN
  9. THE CULPEPPER CATTLE COMPANY
  10. PALE RIDER
  11. THE HIRED HAND
  12. UNFORGIVEN
  13. THE SHOOTING
  14. HANG EM HIGH
  15. DAY OF THE OUTLAW
  16. THE DEADLY TRACKERS
  17. HIGH PLAINS DRIFTER
  18. CHATO’S LAND
  19. ULZANA’S RAID
  20. YELLOW SKY[/quote]

LAWMAN (1971) and CHATO’S LAND (1972) are actually British productions, produced by the Michael Winner company on a distribution deal from MGM, the former in Mexico and the latter in Spain. Although the films employ American actors they’re not really American westerns. The Brits made a number of very interesting westerns.

Some of your other choices, MACHO CALLAHAN (1970), THE HUNTING PARTY (1971) and THE DEADLY TRACKERS (1973) are more international than American westerns, emulating the spaghetti western and being in filmed in Spain and Mexico with mixed money and mixed crews.

TO ALL ,what are your favorite westerns? If youll indulge me and my thoughtful top 20 How long does your top ten last? I go…
One Eyed Jacks
Rio Bravo
Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid
Johnny Guitar
True Grit (2010)
Warlock
Outlaw Josey Wales
Ride Lonesome
3:10 to Yuma (1957)
Ravenous
Ride the High Country
The White Buffalo
The Wild Bunch
Dances with Wolves
The Professionals
Buffalo Bill and the Indians
Day of the Outlaw
Dead Man
The Furies
From Noon Till Three

Just missed my 20. I read the book every summer.

It would be a good idea to include the current top20 to first post of this topic. Now it’s kinda hidden somewhere in the middle. @John_Welles?

My Big US 20, as things stand:

1. Unforgiven (Eastwood, 1992)
  2. High Plains Drifter (Eastwood, 1973)
  3. The Wild Bunch (Peckinpah, 1969)
  4. True Grit (Coen Brothers, 2010)
  5. The Revenant (Iñárritu, 2015)
  6. Tombstone (Cosmatos, 1993)
  7. 3:10 to Yuma (Mangold, 2007)
  8. The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford (Dominik, 2007)
  9. The Hateful Eight (Tarantino, 2015)
  10. Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid (Peckinpah, 1973)
  11. The Outlaw Josey Wales (Eastwood, 1976)
  12. Pale Rider (Eastwood, 1985)
  13. True Grit (Hathaway, 1969)
  14. The Quick and the Dead (Raimi, 1995)
  15. The Homesman (Jones, 2014)
  16. Django Unchained (Tarantino, 2012)
  17. Bone Tomahawk (Zahler, 2015)
  18. McCabe & Mrs. Miller (Altman, 1971)
  19. The Searchers (Ford, 1956)
  20. High Noon (Zinnemann, 1952)

Bad Company (Benton, 1972), Two Mules For Sister Sara (Siegel, 1970), Wyatt Earp (Kasdan, 1994), Meek’s Cutoff (Reichardt, 2010) and Seraphim Falls (Von Ancken, 2006) all sit just outside the 20, and I’ve yet to see the (relatively) new pictures Sweetwater aka Sweet Vengeance (Miller, 2013), Echoes of War (Senes, 2015), Diablo (Roeck, 2015) and Forsaken (Cassar, 2015), all of which are sat waiting for me on my pc. I’ve also got half a dozen bona fide classics waiting on my pc which I really should’ve watched by now (The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance, Bend of the River, El Dorado, Jeremiah Johnson, The Man From Laramie and The Missouri Breaks), and I bought Marlon Brando’s One Eyed Jacks (1961) months ago and still haven’t looked at it yet, so I’ve got some western watching to do, and plenty of opportunities for change to my 20.

I still think Rango (Verbinski, 2011) should be allowed in though :smile:

Rango should be let in the Spag list! It is more entertaing and better homage than anytning Tarantino will ever do.

1 Like

I apologize to all. Back on topic. Heres my revised list with notes on top 10.

1. ONE-EYED JACKS
    -Brando shot so much film , just waiting for the perfect shot…in my opinion he pulled it off.
  2. RIO BRAVO
    -The funnest , coolest western ever. My grandma(RIP) introduced me to it.
  3. PAT GARRETT & BILLY THE KID (1988)
    -Bloody Sam’s mindnumbing ulogy to the west.
  4. JOHNNY GUITAR
    -Still criminally underrated. Not enough women westerns. I still have dreams of a world where Ida Lupina directed a western scripted by a young Peckinpah.
  5. TRUE GRIT (2010)
    -Pure magic to me. The care and detail in this is what every upcoming director(western or not)should aspire to.
  6. WARLOCK
    -Ive seen this countless times and I always try to catch Fonda vulnerable or second guess himself…but he never does. Stoic and confident, like Dmytryk’s directing.
  7. The OUTLAW JOSEY WALES
    -The one where Clint came into his own. Still I would have loved to see Philip Kaufman’s take… I will mention Kaufman’s Great Northfield Minnesota Raid, it missed my list just barely (I think its a personal thing against Jesse James). and know it wont be on anyone’s list.
  8. RIDE LONESOME
    -So hard to pick one Ranown, but this ones the one for me. A great revenge flick (the length Scott’s character goes is well… Lonesome but entertaining.
  9. BUFFALO BILL AND THE INDIANS…
    -Better than MaCabe. I had to have a satirical western. Newman is perfect. Altmans flowy overlapping dialouge is so funny. To me the best postmodern western.
  10. RAVENOUS
    -My only calvary picture besides Wolves. This one is dear to me, 1999 was an amazing year for films and this one gets overlooked. Little cult following now but most people wont get it. The music and the horror really stand out to me. I know it was filmed in alps and mexico but dont dare make me take it off.
  11. Ride the High Country
  12. 3:10 to Yuma (1957)
  13. The Wild Bunch
  14. The White Buffalo
  15. The Professionals
  16. Dances with Wolves
  17. Day of the Outlaw
  18. Last Train to Gun Hill
    -little note, this is my 5th! 1959 western, what a great fuckin year! Cheers!
  19. The Furies
  20. From Noon Till Three

Did you read Seydor’s recent book on Pat Garrett & Billy the Kid? There’s a whole chapter in there all about its connection with One Eyed Jacks.

1 Like

Haven’t read that. I have the gifford book on OEJ, called brando rides alone, thats kinda been my bible since I was teenager lol

I know about connection. Does book say anythng about if it was a conscious decision, and by who, to cast Jurado and Pickens? I love that they are cast , it makes PG & BK extra personal for bloody sam fans. Its so beautiful their scenes together.

I prefer Spagheti westerns, but these are some american westerns worth viewing.
1.The Wild Bunch (1969)
2.The Revengers (1972)
3.Magnificent Seven (1960)
4.The Professionals (1966)
5.Lonely Are The Brave (1962)
6.Day of the Outlaw (1959)
7. Escape from fort bravo (1953)
8. The Man from Laramie (1955)
9. Lawman (1971)
10.Winchester 73 (1950)
Also worth a mention
Fury at furnace creek (1948)
The man from Colorado (1948)
From Hell to Texas (1958)

Hello there,

1/ I saw that the last post/reply dates from mars 2016.
2/ After the first counted results list, there are 14 more lists , and below my list, which makes the new added lists up to 15. In the first results there are 16 voters.
3/ Maybe it is time to update the final list/results.

My list

1/ The unforgiven
2/ Silverado
3/ The wild bunch
4/ The quick and the dead
5/ appaloosa
6/ Hang em high
7/ tombstone
8/ the long riders
9/ Little big man
10/ Dances with wolves
11/ A man called horse
12 the last of the mohicans (1992)
13/ Blazing saddles
14/The Alamo (2004)
15/ Bad girls
16/ the horse soldiers
17/ the missing
18/ Glory
19/ Gettysburg
20/ Dodge city (1939)
Ziezo , toch een zeer gevarieerd lijstje, al zeg ik het zelf.
Ik weet dat dit een oude topic is, maar mijns inzien is hij nog niet af voordat er nog een definitieve lijst is gemaakt.
See you caballeros

These ten would do it for me, I’ll work on adding another ten soon.

1. The Wild Bunch (1969)
  2. Broken arrow (1950)
  3. The man who shot liberty valance (1962)
  4. Unforgiven (1992)
  5. Winchester 73 ((1950)
  6. Hateful Eight (2015)
  7. Magnificent seven (1960)
  8. High noon (1952)
  9. The far country (1954)
  10. The rare breed (1966)

I looked at the past two years of posts on this thread and thought of a number of Westerns which might make my list but haven’t been mentioned (or I overlooked them) including “Run of the Arrow,” “Cheyenne Autumn,” “The Last Wagon,” “Major Dundee,” “Run for Cover,” “The Wonderful Country,” “Buchanan Rides Alone,” “The Texas Rangers” (1951), and “The Violent Men.” Maybe some day I’ll make a top 20.

Thought I’d give this a go…

1. Rio Bravo
  2. The Wild Bunch
  3. My Darling Clementine
  4. Shane
  5. Stagecoach
  6. Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid
  7. The Searchers
  8. 3:10 to Yuma (1957)
  9. The Tin Star
  10. Winchester 73
  11. The Ox-bow Incident
  12. One-eyed Jacks
  13. Yellow Sky
  14. High Noon
  15. Wagon Master
  16. The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance
  17. Jeremiah Johnson
  18. Red River
  19. El Dorado
  20. Johnny Guitar
  1. Unforgiven
  2. The Searchers
  3. The Assassination of Jesse James By the Coward Robert Ford
  4. The Wild Bunch
  5. High Noon
  6. Johnny Guitar
  7. Hateful Eight
  8. Pat Garrett and Billy The Kid
  9. Heaven’s Gate
  10. Rio Bravo
  11. The Shootist
  12. The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance
  13. Dances with Wolves
  14. My Darling Clementine
  15. Ride The High Country
  16. 3:10 to Yuma (1957)
  17. True Grit (2010)
  18. Seven Men From Now
  19. Outlaw Josie Wales
  20. Stagecoach
  1. Pat Garrett & Billy the Kid
  2. The Outlaw Josey Wales
  3. Two Mules for Sister Sara
  4. Rio Bravo
  5. The Searchers
  6. Bend of the River
  7. The Professionals
  8. The War Wagon
  9. High Plains Drifter
  10. From Noon Till Three
  11. Hombre
  12. El Dorado
  13. The Man Who Shot Liberty Valence
  14. The Last Hard Men
  15. Support Your Local Sheriff!
  16. Unforgiven
  17. Heaven’s Gate
  18. Shane
  19. The Wild Bunch
  20. Rio Lobo

Love your list. I especially agree with Pat Garrett and Heaven’s Gate both of which are often under appreciated.

1 Like