Vote for Your Top 20 US Westerns

This would be mine at present (this list might not be consistent with either the lists of favourite spags or favourite US westerns I have submitted elsewhere on the board previously; that is because these lists are constantly shifting):

1. The Good, the Bad & the Ugly (1966)
  2. Unforgiven (1992)
  3. High Plains Drifter (1973)
  4. For a Few Dollars More (1965)
  5. The Big Gundown (1966)
  6. The Proposition (2005)
  7. The Wild Bunch (1969)
  8. A Fistful of Dollars (1964)
  9. True Grit (2010)
  10. Day of Anger (1967)
  11. Django Kill… If You Live, Shoot! (1967)
  12. The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford (2007)
  13. Death Rides a Horse (1967)
  14. Once Upon a Time in the West (1968)
  15. Django (1966)
  16. 3:10 to Yuma (2007)
  17. Tombstone (1993)
  18. Keoma (1976)
  19. Cemetery Without Crosses (1969)
  20. A Bullet For the General (1966)
  21. The Mercenary (1968)
  22. Face to Face (1967)
  23. Pat Garrett & Billy the Kid (1973)
  24. Mannaja (1977)
  25. 10,000 Dollars For a Massacre (1967)
  26. The Forgotten Pistolero (1969)
  27. The Dirty Outlaws (1966)
  28. Navajo Joe (1966)
  29. The Great Silence (1968)
  30. The Return of Ringo (1965)
  31. My Name is Nobody (1973)
  32. The Outlaw Josey Wales (1976)
  33. Django Unchained (2012)
  34. Rango (2011)
  35. The Quick & the Dead (1995)
  36. Pale Rider (1985)
  37. Companeros (1970)
  38. God Forgives, I Don’t! (1967)
  39. Django, Prepare a Coffin (1968)
  40. The Good, the Bad, the Weird (2008)
  41. Massacre Time (1966)
  42. The Grand Duel (1972)
  43. If You Meet Sartana, Pray For Your Death (1968)
  44. No Country For Old Men (2007)
  45. Blazing Saddles (1974)
  46. The Bounty Killer (1966)
  47. Light the Fuse… Sartana is Coming (1970)
  48. A Fistful of Dynamite (1971)
  49. Johnny Yuma (1966)
  50. A Pistol For Ringo (1965)

33 Spags, a couple of remakes, a bunch of American revisionists, an Australian “Meat Pie” western, a Korean movie set in Manchuria, a couple of contemporary westerns - one of which is an anthropomorphic animated feature, and a Mel Brooks comedy.

I’ll update the master-list only when I have more new lists - as it is, there have been merely a few posted since I tallied the votes last year and doubt the list would change substantially.

C’mon people, rank your favourites!

Reasonable enough. Just wanted to ask, as there were some new lists, and it will be a year since the last master-list in march, so I thought it might be a good occasion.

@last.caress

Glad you appreciate this idea! 8)

My Top 20 U.S. Westerns :

1. Lonesome Dove (1989) - TV Mini-Series !!! ;D
  2. Dances With Wolves (1990)
  3. Unforgiven (1992)
  4. 3:10 to Yuma (2007)
  5. Shane
  6. The Outlaw Josey Wales
  7. The Wild Bunch
  8. El Dorado
  9. Tombstone
  10. Open Range
  11. Little Big Man
  12. Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
  13. The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance
  14. Winchester 73
  15. True Grit (2010) Coen Brothers
  16. Hang’em High (1968)
  17. High Plains Drifter
  18. The Shootist (Don Seigel)
  19. Hour of the Gun
  20. The Man from Laramie
  21. Ballad of Cable Hogue

Thought I’d update my list. Just stirring the elements really, but there it is:

1. Unforgiven (Eastwood, 1992)
  2. High Plains Drifter (Eastwood, 1973)
  3. The Wild Bunch (Peckinpah, 1969)
  4. True Grit (Coen/Coen, 2010)
  5. Tombstone (Cosmatos, 1993)
  6. The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford (Dominik, 2007)
  7. 3:10 to Yuma (Mangold, 2007)
  8. Pat Garrett & Billy the Kid (Peckinpah, 1973)
  9. Django Unchained (Tarantino, 2012)
  10. The Outlaw Josey Wales (Eastwood, 1976)
  11. The Quick & the Dead (Raimi, 1995)
  12. Pale Rider (Eastwood, 1985)
  13. Bad Company (Benton, 1972)
  14. Two Mules For Sister Sara (Siegel, 1970)
  15. Wyatt Earp (Costner, 1994)
  16. Seraphim Falls (Von Ancken, 2006)
  17. True Grit (Hathaway, 1969)
  18. High Noon (Zinnemann, 1952)
  19. Open Range (Costner, 2003)
  20. Silverado (Kasdan, 1985)

I really need to see more of those 1930’s-1960’s Hollywood westerns, and probably revisit the few I’ve seen while I’m about it.

Sorry fella, mini-series’ are barred from these lists. Hatfields & McCoys would probably have made it into my own list if they were allowed. :slight_smile:

I still think Rango (Verbinski, 2011) should be allowed in, though.

The parameters of the list are too restrictive. A top 20 list doesn’t begin to tap the well of several thousand American westerns to choose from. Because of the vast scope of the American western, the list should be expanded to the Top 40. Yes, a Top 40 list would not be unreasonable. Even then, the problem is which and how many should be left out when you know they should be included. So many American westerns are among the best films ever made, anywhere, at any time. In contrast, there are only a few hundred spags to choose from, so assembling a list of the Top 20 spags is much easier.

Why are some of you listing European films in a thread about U.S. westerns?

list redacted

ALL lists are “valid”, fella (although, if a list was to be “invalid” it would be yours since you’ve ranked them reverse-chronologically rather than by preference). These lists are entirely subjective. Claiming that everybody’s lists MUST include those thirty-five movies otherwise they don’t count is a little insulting, tbh; I’d like to think that that wasn’t your intention, however.

I don’t understand why there are 2 lists. One which ends in 1967 and one which starts in 1966. Or does Richard think that all the best westerns were made after 1966?

There is only one list. I cut it off at 20 because the rules say 20, but my top list goes on further.

I’m saying for a top 20 or top 40 list these titles would have to be considered because they are among the most exceptional films.

I’m also saying that spaghetti westerns are not valid choices in a list of the top American westerns.

Further, I would add that limiting the list to 20 titles only works if you’ve seen very few American westerns.

Yes, funny lists in set in chronological order. Newer = better?

Not at all.

I’m not someone who can choose a favorite when there are so many to appreciate. So the order is chronological. All my favorites are in there. The best are also in there.

Dude, someone makes a topic.

• You don’t agree with a top 20. Fine.
  • You are not able to compile a list in order of preference. Fine.

Don’t reply. Easy, no?

Bad Lieutenant, did anyone ever tell you that your facebook page is infantile?
There is not iota of cinematic aptitude or talent on your facebook page.

If you don’t like my list or my reasoning, don’t read it.

If you’re not to lazy to review the thread, you’ll find that some members have posted more than one list, exceeded twenty titles, and bent the rules this way and that way.

So what I did fits right in.

Why don’t you post your own list before criticizing others?

[quote=“Richard–W, post:153, topic:3170”]Bad Lieutenant, did anyone ever tell you that your facebook page is infantile?
There is not iota of cinematic aptitude or talent on your facebook page.[/quote]
And the winner of the swdb SD award 2015 is…

Longer lists are no problem, as long as only the first twenty of a list are taken into account for a final Top 20 or whatever.
But if someone wishes his list will be taken into account, he should put the movies in order of preference. After all the idea is: N°1 getting 20 points, N°2 19 points, etc. If the movies are put in random or chronological order, the most logical idea would be to award them one point each, which would harm their chances.

I find lists with American and Italian movies included also very interesting, but we should create another thread for such lists, this thread is called ‘Vote for our Top 20 U.S. westerns’, so only American movies should be included.

Ok, which then means that in your opinion the 20 best westerns were made after 1966.

I'm also saying that spaghetti westerns are not valid choices in a list of the top American westerns.

There are no SWs in the lists. The one on this page by LastCaress is obviously an Off-topic list, and therefore not intended to be counted.

Further, I would add that limiting the list to 20 titles only works if you've seen very few American westerns.

That’s completely unlogical. On the contrary, such a list makes the more sense the more westerns one has watched.
But yes, if one has seen only 20 westerns the list is more easy to compile.

I could also make a top 100 or a top 200, and still some fine westerns wouldn’t make the list.
But limiting the list to 20 forces me to think about the ones I really set above the others.

Hehe, I actually thought of SD even prior to this reaction. But Richard is right, my film wouldn’t make his top 20 (or top 500, which is the same in his book).

Thanks for looking Richard, appreciate it :slight_smile:

Script is almost finished, by the way…

[quote=“Richard–W, post:153, topic:3170”]Bad Lieutenant, did anyone ever tell you that your facebook page is infantile?
There is not iota of cinematic aptitude or talent on your facebook page.

If you don’t like my list or my reasoning, don’t read it.

If you’re not to lazy to review the thread, you’ll find that some members have posted more than one list, exceeded twenty titles, and bent the rules this way and that way.

So what I did fits right in.

Why don’t you post your own list before criticizing others?[/quote]

Richard W, did anyone ever tell you that you’re belligerent and condescending, or that you bring up things that are utterly irrelevant for matters at hand?

Why don’t you read the list I posted, instead of criticising me unjustly for not posting it? But even if I hadn’t made such a list, I still would have made valid points. However, I’m sure you are a legend in your own brain, and therefore anybody else does not make any sense.

Especially for you, I rarely do this, I quote myself:

[quote=“Bad Lieutenant, post:12, topic:3170”]Not a big fan of American westerns, but a list would look something like this:

1. The Wild Bunch
  2. Posse from Hell
  3. High Noon
  4. 3:10 to Yuma
  5. El Dorado
  6. Unforgiven
  7. Gunfight at O.K. Corral
  8. High Plains Drifter
  9. 100 Rifles
  10. Blazing Saddles
  11. The Ox-Bow Incident
  12. Mackenna’s Gold
  13. The Badlanders
  14. Hour of the Gun
  15. Terror in a Texas Town
  16. The Hunting Party
  17. The Man from Laramie
  18. Tombstone
  19. The Quick and the Dead
  20. Zachariah[/quote]

Richard, you’re a bit of a bellend, mate. I’ve had a look through your posts and you’ve definitely got form for talking like a complete weapon. Constantly talking down to people, you. Do you talk in that patronizing manner all the time, out in the real world? Would you do it to my face? Not a chance, fella. Not a chance. So don’t do it here.

Have a try at actually reading the posts before charging in with your “Why are some of you listing European films in a thread about U.S. westerns?”, you lemon. You’re obviously just lightly scanning everyone else’s contributions before wading in with your judgments and declarations, so if you’re showing everyone that little respect why should anyone give a lubricated cockrub for anything you’re chatting on about?

Politeness costs nothing, but it’s worth everything. There’s nothing here but decent people, and a limp salad like you tends to stand out. So you can either wind your fucking neck in and join the community, or take off. Simples. This brilliant, brilliant place isn’t going to be turned into a shithole by the likes of you, sunshine.

(with apologies to Sebastian and the wider SWDB community; but people like this helmet here, are not my sort of people)

Richard - you’ve had warnings from mods previously on this website and you’re essentially being warned again. It’s not you’re opinions that are wrong (they’re subjective and have as much legitimacy as everyone else’s), but the way you express them. Please act in the cordial manner that we’re used to on this forum.

I limited it to 20 as I feel for most people, after that it becomes a more arbitrary and less interesting list to read. I also wanted a US counterpart to the site’s official Spaghetti Western list.