Vote for Our Official Top 20

The Mercenary is still similar in the sense that it has that Corbucci surrealism to it, which was a big part of his directing obviously. It’s his twisted take on The Good, The Bad and The Ugly with a splash of Quien Sabe? in it.

1 Like

Well said …

It is the political Spag that would have fitted Leone’s narrative style better than Giu la testa. But with Leone directing The Mercenary would have run twice as long.

2 Likes

For sure, but I wonder however if it would lean more towards a revolution / war drama than a western? Corbucci succeeded 100% with making an Italian Western set during the Mexican Revolution, while Leone ended up making a Revolution/War movie inside of an Italian Western, and that is it’s weakness. Leone obviously wanted to do something else, but was forced to work the western formula. I really like the film but in the end the film never reaches it’s full potential because it’s identity is too weak. It’s neither a rabbit or a hare. I personally would rather have a movie about the life and story of John Mallory…

:rofl: Indeed

Can’t say I agree. I like that Leone made another film that wasn’t a million miles away but wasn’t just another western either. After damn near perfecting the genre in his previous three films I love that he went for another approach in a similar medium. I would agree though that it feels like his heart wasn’t with it 100% though.

He did not want to direct Giu la testa himself, but wanted instead to produce the film with a director who directed it in his style. That failed and he was forced to enter the directing chair, but later tried it again with My Name Is Nobody.
Whatever really happened around Giu la testa, it seems that he was not fully convinced of the film. Before Leone’s SWs were always ahead of all others, but with Giu la testa he was plowing a field that was already well prepared by others. Namely by Quien sabe? and The Mercenary.

No totally I agree. I still think it’s a really good if flawed film though. It’s a long way from The Mercenary, which I think is one of the most underrated films ever, but I think it’s way ahead of Quien Sabe?. Really wish I could like that one but every time I’ve tried to watch it I just can’t.

Has the top20 been updated in the SWDb proper? I may have missed out, haven’t checked this topic in a while

@stanton will have to confirm, but I believe he did update it earlier this year - maybe Jan or Feb.

Might aswell make it a Top 21 with the constant battle between Run Man Run and Sartana :wink:

The last update is from February.

I had done another one if we had reached the 200 lists mark, but that did not happen yet.

The next is planned for Jan next year, or maybe a bit earlier if the 200 happens before.

And at the bottom of the list there is always a note when the latest update happened, with a link to that update in this thread here.

1 Like

I shall do a shout out to get the 200 happening :slight_smile:

I’m wondering if something is correct in the list.
In 2021 Red Sun had 60 points. I released my first list in January 2022 and I had Red Sun on spot #9. In the latest list Red Sun still had 60 points. And I don’t see Red Sun in any other top 20 list of 2021 and 2022, so it seems it hasn’t lost any points.

Yes, I remember that.
Somehow I hadn’t your list counted, but when I realised this mistake I had already done most of the work for the posting of it here and the changes to be done in the database. So I decided that your list will be part of the counting next year. Sorry …

At the moment Red Sun has 72 points on rank 74.

Btw we have now 199 lists.

But even if this now inspires someone to post the 200th, I won’t change it before Oct .
2 weeks Sardinia next week, and the usual stress before and after the trip.

Maybe I’ll turn it in an x-mas list anyway …

4 Likes

Sardinia is awesome

So we hope …

We will be (if Lufthansa does not fuck it up) at Cala Gonone at the east-coast.

OK Amigos and Amigas, after quite a bit of time watching some new stuff and re-watching quite a few established favorites, I’m doing updates on both the Official Top 20 and Alternative Top 20 Lists. This time around I plan on doing lists that honor both the current lists as they stand on their official pages and of my own personal preference, so this way I have a best of both worlds going on.

Hope you all like it.

1. Il Bouno, il Brutto, Il Cattivo (The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly) - Sergio Leone (1966)

2. C’era una Volta il West (Once Upon a Time in the West) - Sergio Leone (1968)

3. Une Corde, Un Colt…(Cimiterio Senza Croce/The Rope and the Colt/Cemetery Without Crosses) - Robert Hossein (1969)

4. La Resa dei Conti (The Big Gundown/The Settling of Accounts) - Sergio Sollima (1966)

5. Django - Sergio Corbucci (1966)

6. I Giorni dell’Ira (Day of Anger) - Tonino Valeri (1967)

7. Il Grande Silenzio (The Great Silence) - Sergio Corbucci (1968)

8. Una Pistola per Ringo (A Pistol for Ringo) - Duccio Tessari (1965)

9. Sono Sartana, il Vostro Becchino (I Am Sartana, Your Angel of Death) - Giuliano Carnimeo (as Antony Ascot) (1969)

10. Il Ritorno di Ringo (The Return of Ringo) - Duccio Tessari (1965)

11. Se Incontri Sartana, Prega per la Tua Morte (If You Meet Sartana, Pray for Your Death) - Gianfranco Parolini (as Frank Kramer) (1968)

12. Le Colt Cantarono la Morte e Fu… Tempo di Massacro (Massacre Time) - Lucio Fulci (1966)

13. Il Mercenario (The Mercenary) - Sergio Cobucci (1969)

14. Corri Uomo Corri (Run Man Run) - Sergio Sollima (1968)

15. Per un Pugno di Dollari (For a Fistful of Dollars) - Sergio Leone (1964)

16. Da Uomo a Uomo (From Man to Man/Death Rides a Horse) - Giulio Petroni (1967)

17. W Django! (Viva Django/A Man Called Django) - Edoardo Mulargia (1971)

18. Indio Black, Sai Che Ti Dico: Sei un Gran Figlio di… (Return of Sabata) - Gianfranco Parolini (as Frank Kramer (1970)

19. Vamos a Matar, Companeros! (Companeros) - Sergio Corbucci (1970)

20. Ehi Amico…C’e Sabata, Hai Chiuso (Sabata) - Gianfranco Parolini (as Frank Kramer) (1969)

3 Likes

Here’s my Top 20:

1. The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly (1966) d: Sergio Leone

2. The Great Silence (1967) d: Sergio Corbucci

3. Django (1966) d: Sergio Corbucci

4. The Big Gundown (1967) d: Sergio Sollima

5. The Mercenary (1968) d: Sergio Corbucci

6. A Bullet for the General (1966) d: Damiano Damiani

7. For a Few Dollars More (1965) d: Sergio Leone

8. Duck You Sucker (1971) d: Sergio Leone

9. Django Kill…If You Live, Shoot (1967) d: Giulio Questi

10. Death Rides a Horse (1967) d: Giulio Petroni