Vote for Our Official Top 20

I see! Thank you for the work you put down there :slight_smile:

1 Like

If you are happy with that list ElDavido I will add it to the Alt Top 20 list now.

1 Like

Yes sir! Thanks

Done

2 Likes

Hey all! Just wanted to ask roughly how many SWs you watched before you felt comfortable voting?

I would say about thirty

1 Like

Around 30, but there’s a big posibility that you will want to edit by the time you’ve seen more.

1 Like

I like DRAH mainly because of LVC. JPL is just part of the scenery lol. I also like Day of Anger for this reason although Gemma is fairly good in that one. Let’s face it, The Grand Duel is not a very good film but some people love it just because it has LVC.

1 Like

All true, but ‘The Grand Duel’ is Oscar winning material, in comparison to ‘God’s Gun’ and ‘Kid Vengeance’ ! How did it all go so terribly wrong for LVC - He could make fairly humble productions, like ‘Barquero’ seem watchable and enjoyable, but those last couple of Euro westerns are just utter garbage :unamused:

1 Like

I read a blog post somewhere from someone that had attended a screening by Tarantino of Death rides a Horse (Some other SWs as well that eventually led up to the final, For a few Dollars More) and when he presented DRAH he said something like “Lee van Cleef eats John Philip Law for breakfast!”

2 Likes

I didn’t even want to mention those. Nobody likes those LOL But I think Kino made a blu-ray of God’s Gun or was that a different one…

Hey LTPA! A belated welcome to the SWDB, amigo. I hope you stick around, we’re generally a very friendly bunch. :+1:

I think I’d watched maybe 45-50 before I felt comfortable with submitting a Top 20, simply because I didn’t want the lower numbers in my 20 being made up of pictures I’d found average or, God forbid, I didn’t even like much. I needed to feel that my twenty had been picked from a sufficiently large pool of movies I’d enjoyed, so that their selection felt special to me.

That said, I think it’s different for everyone. Many will feel perfectly happy with their top 20 having only seen 20. As long as it’s an honest list and they enjoyed them all, I reckon that’s fine.

1 Like

As time has gone on I’ve found myself warming to God’s Gun more and more. I mean it’s still crap and LVC’s hairpiece is genuinely disturbing like something out of a f*cking j-horror but, still, it leaves me grinning a big sappy old grin, in the same way that White Comanche does, or Dead Men Don’t Make Shadows (which in fairness to it simply isn’t at the same depth of so-bad-it’s-good shitness as God’s Gun or White Comanche, but still).

And, since the Arrow release, I’ve felt a new appreciation for The Grand Duel. Probably nothing to do with the release per se and probably more to do with the fact that I hadn’t looked at it in a while and so found myself looking at it through fresh eyes. But it’s a good pic, better than I’d given it credit for in a long time, probably since I’d first seen it when I liked it initially but it had been sliding down my spag ratings ever since.

2 Likes

I agree it’s good as far as spaghettis go, I just don’t think it’s up there with LVC’s other spags like The Big Gundown. There is one LVC spag that’s pretty cheesy that I do like and that’s Beyond the Law. That would be in my alternate top 20.

2 Likes

Thanks LC! To date I’ve watched 47 all the way through, and bits of others. Still considering my ranking order…it’s very important to me! :smile:

2 Likes

Just like Last.caress I think that 50 is a good enough number to start with a Top 20, at least if you start with the usual suspects and don’t watch Spags randomly (than 250 might be a good enough number).

My Top20 hasn’t changed much after I had watched those 50, but luckily I still found a few less well know ones in later years to challenge the usual suspects. and of course some of the usual suspects I don’t really like.

And remember, we want your personal favourites, the ones you enjoy the most. Objectivity (whatever that can be in art) is not requested, but only the “fun” factor.

1 Like

I have bought around 38 SW (all except for 4 top SW by Leone only the last 14 months) and watched around 7-8 more on Youtube.
I already feel that very few other SW in the future will be able to enter my Top 20 (last published June 9 above), since I have tried to choose all SW very carefully from this forum’s threads and its reviews and also from other reviews.
I am not so interested in watching more SWs ranked just 6 out of 10 or lower, and my Top 20 only includes 7 out of 10 or better ranked SW according to my opinion, and to find just one other rather strong 7 out of 10 or better probably will be a lot of work :wink:
And I want them in an official DVD or Bluray release with very good image quality, so I would rather wait for a release (with English voices) of possible candidates such as El Topo.

I can’t understand why: there are tons of SWs in the same league as number fifteen in your list Ramon the Mexican, for example!

Well, I haven’t found any more the last month, partly because I have reduced my looking effort, but I do have examined a Top 100 list from this thread etc and maybe it was there some of the late entries in my Top 20 was found months ago after also reading reviews (Johnny Halmet, Requiescant etc).
I need more reviews of candidates before new trials.
But I sincerely doubt that there ARE tons of SWs in the same league as Ramon the Mexican. But maybe there are at least several more, but they have to be chosen from severel hundreds SW - which implies probably there should be no easy picking from now on !
Also there seem to be a somewhat limited number of official DVD/Bluray of good SWs.

Of course there is also the question of individual taste, and in my case several of the essential Top 20 SW on this web site do not appeal to me. Even Leone’s Duck You Sucker I classify as a 4 or 5 out of 10 as opposed to 9 or 10 for his first 4 SW.

Perhaps not TONS. In my ranking it’s 71. That is, in my opinion there are 70 better spaghs than this one. And remember, the top 100 is not the 100 BEST spaghs according to this forum. It’s only the 100 films that people around here the last 12 years or so have thought should be in the top twenty. During those years new films have turned up. Also theorethcally it’s possible that a film everybody here agree is inside top 30, but not inside top 20, would be outside top 100 altogether. I started out watching 150 spaghs. Then I thought I had seen them all. But I’m happy I didn’t adhere to that.