Vote for Our Official Top 20

True, but as a gothic, revenge, horror western, this is true classic piece of cinema. A beatiful score from Carlo Savina, it goes well with Kinski’s haunting looks. The Cinematography is outstanding. It keeps you on the edge of your seat, and since the film takes place in real time, the tension builds up slowly. Finally we get a fantastic ending, and some of the best shots of gothic landscape and setting ever filmed. Peter Carsten did an exellent job as Acombar. His wrongdoing finally catchs up with him. I think the film pushes what we can see in a western and is both original and one of a kind. I also think the film captures Kinski in one of his most haunting and unforgiving roles hes ever played. Kinski is a true master. He can act in anything it and it be over the top and beatiful. Sad hes no longer with us. Thank god we have Kinski to watch on film forever.

The Good , The Bad and The Ugly
The Great Silence
For A Few Dollars More
Django
Vengeance (Joko …)1968
Django Kill
Vamos A Matar Companeros
Death Rides A Horse
If You Meet Sartana , Pray For Your Death
Once Upon A Time In The West
Sartana , Trade Your Guns For A Coffin
Il Mercenario

If you want your list to be part of the big forum’s Top 20 (aka The Eternal One) you must expand it to 20 films and bring them in order.

Someone who has the rights to do it should add “Post only top20 list!” or something to the top post of this topic. It’s distracting now because we first posted top12 lists before the we agreed on the rules we now have.

Thanks for inviting me to this discussion. Before I can participate, I need to see a bunch more films!

1 Like

That was based on watching the French 86 min release, and my French not beeing that good. Now I have seen 109 minutes of it with English audio, and I can assure you next time it will go up at least two places, maybe more.

Positions for the official top 20 are pretty entrenched now, aren’t they?

Is there anything to be said for maybe rebooting it at some stage? It might be more reflective of the current active membership and maybe indicative of re-evaluations of some titles, and if it’s done over a long enough period of time it might prove a half-decent incentive to attract back some lapsed members if Seb mails everybody inviting them to submit their top 20?

Is that an idea worth chewing over? Or is it a pile of old bumhole-spasm? I’m not too sure myself either way now; it seemed bloody revolutionary when I started writing this post, but I went for a fairly uncooperative poo mid-paragraph, and now I’m back it looks like a demented idea… :sweat:

I really didn’t want to be the first one to respond to your idea, being new here. But as it seems it didn’t exactly set the Forum on fire, here is an alternative idea: A poll for the Forum’s top twenty. You can only vote for films which are in either the Essential Top 20 or The Alternative Top 20. It might show if there is a more “modern” top 20 among active Forum members than the one “entrenched” over the years by the SWDB.

Good idea! Would make voting more appealing to us new kids on the block.

So twenty of these forty movies on a desert island…

Well, at present I’d go without any hesitation for 11 Essential Top 20 and 9 Alternative Top 20 films:

ET20
The Good, The Bad and The Ugly, For a Few Dollars More, A Fistful of Dollars, Django, The Big Gundown, Cemetery Without Crosses, Duck, You Sucker, Death Rides a Horse, Run Man Run, The Mercenary, Once Upon a Time in the West

AT20
And God Said to Cain, Blindman, Death Sentence, Vengeance is Mine, El Puro, The Bounty Killer, Light the Fuse… Sartana Is Coming, Navajo Joe, If You Meet Sartana Pray for Your Death

Not so good idea. Why excluding the rest?

We once talked about a top 40 or top 50, and then to see if there is a different result. But I actually doubt that it would be rather different . But this would only make sense if there are enough voters who really have watched at least 200 SWs, better 300.

For the actual top 20, well it does the job, and that is to show which Spags the fans like the most. And I see it as positive that the top 20 won’t change much over the next years.
But in order to keep the list dynamic I will probably eliminate several older lists from short time members which haven’t visited the forum for many years. I did this before, but only once so far.
But I’m sure this won’t change the top 20.

One good reason why you shouldn’t do that, in my opinion.

And I would prefer not to see SWs which got only one vote excluded from the complete list.

Yes, but these old lists will not be changed, and many films were hardly available 10 years ago.

And then these guys are not part of the forum anymore.

I’m not in favor of changing anything with regard neither to The Essential All Time SW Top 20, nor The Alternative Top 20. They are both unique and great lists. But I think a poll once a year, when the two lists have been updated, might be interesting. I can see three reasons why a poll might turn out different from the Essential Top 20. First, back in the Forum’s old days there were maybe some top notch films not so well known, now well known by most Forum members. Second, many film gain from new and better releases. Third, by nominating the 40 films of the two lists, you don’t have to take into consideration random votes submitted by people who maybe has seen only 20 films or a little more than that. But then again, it might not.

I agree.

That’s true of course, but…

I personally think there’s something to be said for that, especially since…

Which was largely what I was thinking about really, along with…

With a soupçon of…

It would be optimal if every contributor would update his list every 2 or 3 years. But most contributors are only for a short span in the forum.
But the list is only really significant if there are enough lists, so many lists that a few extreme lists are outbalanced by the sheer mass.

Actually I was too lazy in the last years to throw some more of the old lists out, even if just erasing them lasts only for a second.
Still, when SDs list is gone one day, PLL films will suffer a massive drop.

To be honest I don’t think I’d like a load of the old, no longer here members’ lists deleted. Some of those old guys hung around for quite a while in their day and were pretty knowledgeable. I’m think Romaine Fielding and Chris Casey as good examples. Even SD, multiple usernames aside, had a valid if somewhat skewed opinion on which films he thought were best, even if he turned out to be something of a troll. I say keep 'em in. The more the merrier.

The lists of the knowledgeable ones I will keep anyway. But there are many lists from users who did not contribute much.

Well, last time I asked before I kicked a few out. Mainly incomplete ones so far.

Fair enough

Almost year passed, I think it’s time for some changes in my TOP …