Vote for Our Official Top 20

I’m wondering if something is correct in the list.
In 2021 Red Sun had 60 points. I released my first list in January 2022 and I had Red Sun on spot #9. In the latest list Red Sun still had 60 points. And I don’t see Red Sun in any other top 20 list of 2021 and 2022, so it seems it hasn’t lost any points.

Yes, I remember that.
Somehow I hadn’t your list counted, but when I realised this mistake I had already done most of the work for the posting of it here and the changes to be done in the database. So I decided that your list will be part of the counting next year. Sorry …

At the moment Red Sun has 72 points on rank 74.

Btw we have now 199 lists.

But even if this now inspires someone to post the 200th, I won’t change it before Oct .
2 weeks Sardinia next week, and the usual stress before and after the trip.

Maybe I’ll turn it in an x-mas list anyway …

4 Likes

Sardinia is awesome

So we hope …

We will be (if Lufthansa does not fuck it up) at Cala Gonone at the east-coast.

OK Amigos and Amigas, after quite a bit of time watching some new stuff and re-watching quite a few established favorites, I’m doing updates on both the Official Top 20 and Alternative Top 20 Lists. This time around I plan on doing lists that honor both the current lists as they stand on their official pages and of my own personal preference, so this way I have a best of both worlds going on.

Hope you all like it.

1. Il Bouno, il Brutto, Il Cattivo (The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly) - Sergio Leone (1966)

2. C’era una Volta il West (Once Upon a Time in the West) - Sergio Leone (1968)

3. Une Corde, Un Colt…(Cimiterio Senza Croce/The Rope and the Colt/Cemetery Without Crosses) - Robert Hossein (1969)

4. La Resa dei Conti (The Big Gundown/The Settling of Accounts) - Sergio Sollima (1966)

5. Django - Sergio Corbucci (1966)

6. I Giorni dell’Ira (Day of Anger) - Tonino Valeri (1967)

7. Il Grande Silenzio (The Great Silence) - Sergio Corbucci (1968)

8. Una Pistola per Ringo (A Pistol for Ringo) - Duccio Tessari (1965)

9. Sono Sartana, il Vostro Becchino (I Am Sartana, Your Angel of Death) - Giuliano Carnimeo (as Antony Ascot) (1969)

10. Il Ritorno di Ringo (The Return of Ringo) - Duccio Tessari (1965)

11. Se Incontri Sartana, Prega per la Tua Morte (If You Meet Sartana, Pray for Your Death) - Gianfranco Parolini (as Frank Kramer) (1968)

12. Le Colt Cantarono la Morte e Fu… Tempo di Massacro (Massacre Time) - Lucio Fulci (1966)

13. Il Mercenario (The Mercenary) - Sergio Cobucci (1969)

14. Corri Uomo Corri (Run Man Run) - Sergio Sollima (1968)

15. Per un Pugno di Dollari (For a Fistful of Dollars) - Sergio Leone (1964)

16. Da Uomo a Uomo (From Man to Man/Death Rides a Horse) - Giulio Petroni (1967)

17. W Django! (Viva Django/A Man Called Django) - Edoardo Mulargia (1971)

18. Indio Black, Sai Che Ti Dico: Sei un Gran Figlio di… (Return of Sabata) - Gianfranco Parolini (as Frank Kramer (1970)

19. Vamos a Matar, Companeros! (Companeros) - Sergio Corbucci (1970)

20. Ehi Amico…C’e Sabata, Hai Chiuso (Sabata) - Gianfranco Parolini (as Frank Kramer) (1969)

3 Likes

Here’s my Top 20:

1. The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly (1966) d: Sergio Leone

2. The Great Silence (1967) d: Sergio Corbucci

3. Django (1966) d: Sergio Corbucci

4. The Big Gundown (1967) d: Sergio Sollima

5. The Mercenary (1968) d: Sergio Corbucci

6. A Bullet for the General (1966) d: Damiano Damiani

7. For a Few Dollars More (1965) d: Sergio Leone

8. Duck You Sucker (1971) d: Sergio Leone

9. Django Kill…If You Live, Shoot (1967) d: Giulio Questi

10. Death Rides a Horse (1967) d: Giulio Petroni

11. A Fistful of Dollars (1964) d: Sergio Leone

12. Keoma (1976) d: Enzo Castellari

13. Navajo Joe (1966) d: Sergio Corbucci

14. Adios, Sabata/Indio Black (1970) d: Gianfranco Parolini

15. The Hellbenders (1967) d: Sergio Corbucci

16. Tepepa (1968) d: Giulio Petroni

17. Return of Ringo (1965) d: Duccio Tessari

18. Bandidos (1967) d: Massimo Dallamano

19. The Price of Power (1969) d: Tonino Valerii

20. And God Said to Cain (1970) d: Antonio Margheriti

3 Likes

No duds there. That’s a pretty solid list

1 Like

Yep, and tataa … it is the 200th list in the actual counting!

Not the 200th of all posted since we started, cause I removed years ago several lists from ex-members whose forum account was deleted. All incomplete and from the first year of voting.

From now on I will remove by and by further old lists when new ones are posted.

2 Likes

Meanwhile, only 68 lists submitted for the Alternative Top 20. Would love to see more.

1 Like

Thanks, Phil!

Interesting list, notably the first one in two years or so to rank The Great Silence ahead of The Big Gundown. The latter film’s campaign to reach the highest non-Leone spot in the list is set back by 4 points.

Thanks! Just by my one vote there was a loss of points of 4 points?

1 Like

Yes. The top 3 gets a small bonus for being the very best (#1 gets 25 p, #2 gets 21 and #3 gets 19). Your list thus gave 4 more points to The Great Silence than it gave The Big Gundown. But both these films have over 2,000 points already, so it’s certainly not a significant change.

I personally prefer Gundown over Silence, which I find, well, slightly overrated. It’s great in many regards - not least the snow landscapes - but I don’t think it handles the political message as well as the former, and sometimes slips over to being shockingly dark for the sake of… being shockingly dark (although this criticism has already been ventilated by me on this forum as much as I’ve needed). So I hoped Gundown would continue to eclipse it as the greatest Non-Leone SW, (an honor which Scherpschutter of this site claims it did enjoy formerly), but this marked the end of the string. That said, the fact that it’s been years since a new top 20 list posted here preferred Silence suggests that the SW Fanbase might be moving in favor of Gundown.

But we all have our loves for and quibbles with different films. Variation is always nice.

3 Likes

Gotcha. For me, both movies are amazing. So, it was a VERY close tie. The reason that Silence slighty came ahead was because it bucked the formulaic trend, with the cold, snowy environment and the ending.

I prefer Gundown and a few others to Silence, but I can totally see why it’s the no. 1 non-Leone spag in most other peoples eyes.

Nice to see somebody else with The Price of Power in their top 20 :blush:

1 Like

Thanks, Bill!

An updated list for the end of the year, as is somewhat of a tradition at this point (though I’m not too sure it will be changing much more in years to come).

1. Once Upon a Time in the West.

2. The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly.

3. For a Few Dollars More.

4. Day of Anger.

5. The Mercenary.

6. My Name is Nobody.

7. A Fistful of Dynamite.

8. The Big Gundown.

9. A Fistful of Dollars.

10. Arizona Colt.

11. Face to Face.

12. A Pistol for Ringo.

13. The Return of Ringo.

14. The Great Silence.

15. Django.

16. Massacre Time.

17. Keoma.

18. Companeros.

19. Death Rides a Horse.

20. Kill Them All and Come Back Alone.

:cowboy_hat_face:

2 Likes

My Top Spaghettis

1. For a few Dollars more - Per qualche dollaro in più - Für ein paar Dollar mehr Sergio Leone 1965
2. Once Upon A Time in the West - C’era una volta il West - Spiel mir das Lied vom Tod Sergio Leone 1968
3. The Good, The Bad and The Ugly - Il buono, il brutto, il cattivo - Zwei glorreiche Halunken S.Leone 1966
4. The Great Silence - Il Grande Silenzio - Leichen pflastern seinen Weg Sergio Corbucci 1968
5. A Fistful of Dollars - Per un pugno di dollari - Für eine Handvoll Dollar Sergio Leone 1964
6. My Name is Nobody - Il mio nome è Nessuno - Mein Name ist Nobody Tonino Valerii & Sergio Leone 1973
7. Run, Man, Run - Corri, Uomo, Corri - Lauf um dein Leben Sergio Sollima 1968
8. Django Kill…If You Live, Shoot! - Se sei vivo spara - Töte, Django Giulio Questi 1967
9. Django Sergio Corbucci 1966
10. Cemetery without crosses - une corde un colt… - Friedhof ohne Kreuze Robert Hossein 1969
11. The Big Gundown - La Reisa De Conti - Der Gehetzte der Sierra Madre Sergio Sollima 1966
12. Tepepa Giulio Petroni 1969
13. Der Tod ritt Dienstags - I Giorni Dell’ira - Day of Anger Tonino Valerii 1967
14. Keoma Enzo G. Castellari 1976
15. A Bullet for the General - Quien Sabe - Töte Amigo Damiano Damiani 1966
16. No Room to die - Una lunga fila di croci - Django und Sartana, die tödlichen Zwei Sergio Garrone 1969
17. Face To Face - Faccia A Faccia - Von Angesicht zu Angesicht Sergio Sollima 1967
18. Death rides a horse - Da uomo a uomo - Von Mann zu Mann Giulio Petroni 1967
19. Mannaja - Das Beil des Todes Sergio Martino 1977

Best Wishes for 2023
Hermann

5 Likes

Good list but what’s number 20

(edited as a reply to Sancho).