Vote for our official bottom-20

Any Gun Will Play was the first non-Leone Spaghetti Western I ever saw, so I have a certain fondness for it (so much so that I think it was in my first Top 20), that has lessened over time, but as a not-quite-a-spoof, it works very well.

Maybe because it is Edd Byrnes-free? ;D

I find the American actor not at his best here, I definitely prefer him in the much-criticised Professionals for a Massacre.

Maybe, but mainly because it is the best directed scene and it has an idea.

A very pleasant movie, not Castellariā€™s best maybe, but probably his most enjoyable.

Here is my updated Bottom-20 (old list at page 8, Reply #152), considerably ā€œenhancedā€ thanks to the inclusion of the trilogy directed by Zabalza and other remarkable new entries. My objective is to further ā€œimproveā€ the list, and ā€ŽI donā€™t think it will be difficult considering that titles I am not fully convinced by (from 15 to 20) face fierce competition! :smiley:

1. Sette monache a Kansas City/Seven Nuns in Kansas City (1973)
  2. 20.000 dolares por un cadaver/Ehi! Gringoā€¦ scendi dalla croce (1970)
  3. Sei bounty killers per una strage/Six Bounty Killers for a Massacre (1973)
  4. Alleluja e Sartana figli diā€¦ Dio/Alleluja & Sartana Are Sonsā€¦ Sons of God (1972)
  5. Los rebeldes de Arizona/Adios Cjamango (1970)
  6. Tutti per unoā€¦ botte per tutti/Three Musketeers of the West (1973)
  7. Allegri becchiniā€¦ arriva TrinitĆ /They Called Him Trinity: Himself - His Colt - His Revenge (1973)
  8. Carambola, filottoā€¦ tutti in buca/Carambolaā€™s Philosophy: In the Right Pocket (1975)
  9. Ed oraā€¦ raccomanda lā€™anima a Dio!/And Nowā€¦ Make Your Peace with God (1968)
  10. Scansatiā€¦ a TrinitĆ  arriva Eldorado/Run Men, Eldorado is Coming to Trinity (1972)
  11. Dallas/Il mio nome ĆØ Scopone e faccio sempre cappotto (1974)
  12. Cipolla Colt/Cry, Onion! (1975)
  13. Spirito Santo e le 5 magnifiche canaglie/Gunmen and the Holy Ghost (1972)
  14. Corte marziale/Court Martial (1974)
  15. Plomo sobre Dallas/Prendi la Colt e prega il padre tuo (1970)
  16. In nome del padre, del figlio e della Colt/In the Name of the Father, the Son and the Colt (1973)
  17. Il tredicesimo ĆØ sempre Giuda/Thirteenth Is A Judas (1971)
  18. 20.000 dollari sul 7/20.000 Dollars On Number Seven (1967)
  19. I vendicatori dellā€™Ave Maria/Twilight Avengers (1970)
  20. La grande notte di Ringo/Ringoā€™s Big Night (1966)

Good list, I can agree on most of the titles. Fidaniā€™s film is rather entertaining though and I recall liking Twilight Avengers but I donā€™t remember much about it.

But waitā€¦ you donā€™t like Cipolla Colt? :smiley:

ringoā€™s big night, itā€™s always my favourite bottom film

Seriously? Itā€™s boring, but it isnā€™t that bad to my way of thinking.

Iā€™m going to watch it tonightā€¦ ::slight_smile:

Brave man :smiley: .

ā€ŽAnd he kept his word! :smiley:

Nah, it isnā€™t that bad. In some more tedious spots, I must confess I frequently caught myself in the act of flipping through my recently obtained copy of Joyceā€™s Dubliners which happened to be nearby my computer screen. Honestly though, I got what I had expected and I was left in high spiritsā€¦ sort of.

Itā€™s a shitty movie, yes, but it is intended to be shitty, hence, in my view, itā€™s no use saying that it is that horrible. Not that Iā€™m going to re-watch it any time soonā€¦ oh no. :stuck_out_tongue:

MATALO
EL CISCO
PATIENCE HAS A LIMIT, WE DONā€™T
WHITE APACHE
RINGOā€™S BIG NIGHT
HIS NAME WAS KING
THEY STILL CALL ME AMEN
DJANGO STRIKES BACK
TWILIGHT AVENGERS
THE BEAST
KID VENGEANCE
FAST HAND IS STILL MY NAME
JESSE AND LESTER
WANTED JOHNNY TEXAS
THE DJANGO STORY
THE LAST GUN
THREE SILVER DOLLARS
REVEREND COLT
ALIVE OR PREFERABLY DEAD
THE RETURN OF CLINT THE STRANGER

[quote=ā€œJonathanCorbett, post:285, topic:1486ā€]Here is my updated Bottom-20 (old list at page 8, Reply #152), considerably ā€œenhancedā€ thanks to the inclusion of the trilogy directed by Zabalza and other remarkable new entries. My objective is to further ā€œimproveā€ the list, and ā€ŽI donā€™t think it will be difficult considering that titles I am not fully convinced by (from 15 to 20) face fierce competition! :smiley:

1. Sette monache a Kansas City/Seven Nuns in Kansas City (1973)
  2. 20.000 dolares por un cadaver/Ehi! Gringoā€¦ scendi dalla croce (1970)
  3. Sei bounty killers per una strage/Six Bounty Killers for a Massacre (1973)
  4. Alleluja e Sartana figli diā€¦ Dio/Alleluja & Sartana Are Sonsā€¦ Sons of God (1972)
  5. Los rebeldes de Arizona/Adios Cjamango (1970)
    (ā€¦)[/quote]

Sette monache a Kansas Cityā€¦ discrowned! It was dethroned by the indescribable Oremus, Alleluia e CosƬ Sia a.k.a. They Still Call Me Amen.

Here are five turkeys that should be on that list. Four pistols for Trinity, Drummer of vengeance, Some dollars for Django,Tedeum,& Kill the poker player

No classics there for sure :slight_smile: I, personally, would not have any of those very close to the bottom 20 with Kill the Poker Player being closest.

Overall these I found the plots to be rehashed, or the acting not notable. Even the scores arenā€™t memorable, the action sequences average at best, and sadly some of the best in the genreā€™s worst moments. I piut them in my bottom twetny for many reasons, weather that be having high expectations, or just because I know the actors and directors have done much better and are capable of doing much better. I donā€™t feel as though they bring anything fresh to the genre. Not all terrible films, but the bottom as far as I am concerned.

1. Little Rita of the West (1967),
  2. I want him dead (1968),
  3. In a Coltā€™s Shadow (1965)
  4. Cry Onion (1975)
  5. Ringo the Lone Rider (1969)
    6.Gunfight at high noon (1963).
  6. Arizona colt returns (1970)
    8.Django Against Sartana (1970)
    9ā€¦Sugar Colt (1966)
    10.Black Killer (1971)
    11.Seven Pistols for the Macgregors (1966)
  7. He who shoots first (1966)
    13.Taste for Killing (1966)
    14.God made themā€¦ I Kill them (1968)
  8. Hate Thy neighbor (1968)
  9. Buffalo Bill (1965)
    17.Bullets donā€™t argue (1964)
    18.Hate for hate (1967)
  10. stranger in sacramento (1965)
  11. seven hours of gunfire (1965)

1.Rita of the west just dosenā€™t work, I wouldnt have viewed it at all had it not had Terrence Hill in it. The plot has been told a 100 times. Baldiā€™s worst.
2.I Want him Dead is boring, and Craig Hill isnā€™t memorable in the lead role. Bianchini doesenā€™t do anything memorable here.
3.In a coltā€™s shadow suffers from being too american, slow, and downright dull in every aspect, shame though Grimaldi does a decent job in the directorā€™s chair.
4.Cry onion is Neroā€™s low point, and its really not entertaining.
5. Ringo the lone rider isnt all that bad, but Martell ruins it for me. Hard to believe this is directed by Rafael Romero Marchent
6. Gunfight at high noon suffers from a terrible plot that bored me to death, I only watched this because it of its director.
7. arizona colt returns would have been excellent had Gemma been in. Period. Nothing special here.
8.Django against sartana should never have been made.
9. sugar colt is too predictable.
10. black killer isnt awful considering Im a big Kinski fan but tries to be and it suffers from a poor supporting cast.
11.Seven Guns for the Macgregors shows us that Sancho and West donā€™t pair up real well, and I expected a lot better from a director who worked under Sergio Leone.
12. He who shoots first I really wanted to like this, but the avenging your father theme has been done a million times.
13.Taste for Killing is by my least favorite film Tonino Valerii has ever directed.
14.God made themā€¦ I Kill them (1968) this is another film by Paolo Bianchini i tried to like but didnā€™t because of its ending,dialogue and the unmemorable Deen Reed who dosenā€™t fit in this at all.
15. Hate Thy neighbor is Ferdinando Baldiā€™s lowest point net to little rita of the west. This film isnt wort watching more then a few times.
16. Buffalo Bill should be good since it was directed by Mario Costa, but it is a flop from start to finish.
17.Bullets donā€™t argue is Mario Caianoā€™s lowpoint, probably because of Rod Cameron whom I donā€™t care for, but the rest of the cast is pretty good.
18.Hate for hate is directed by Domenico Paolella, and sadly this isnā€™t worth viewing. Paolella should have stuck with adventure films.
19. stranger in sacramento directed by Sergio Bergonzelli goes nowhere fast.
20. seven hours of gunfire is both short and dull. not much else goes on.

I enjoyed Fort Yuma Gold and A sky full of stars for a roof.

On my official bottom top 20 Iā€™d like to take off Taste for Killing (1966). I got the wild east version off Ebay ( the other day) and find the film much more enjoyable then previously thought. Maybe Valerii had something important to say after all with this. Here would be my updated list.

1.Little Rita of the West (1967)
2.I want him dead (1968),
3.In a Coltā€™s Shadow (1965)
4.Cry Onion (1975)
5.Ringo the Lone Rider (1969)
7.Django Against Sartana (1970)
8.Black Killer (1971)
9.Seven Pistols for the Macgregors (1966)
10. He who shoots first (1966)
11.God made themā€¦ I Kill them (1968)
12. Hate Thy neighbor (1968)
13. Buffalo Bill (1965)
14.Bullets donā€™t argue (1964)
15.Hate for hate (1967)
16. stranger in sacramento (1965)
17. seven hours of gunfire (1965)
18. Ringo the Lone Rider (1969)
19.Gunfight at high noon (1963)
20. Lola Colt (1967)

You had Taste of Killing in bottom 20 and now you give it 8/10 rating? :joy:

Yes, I must have been tired at the time of the viewing, but I could clearly recall Taste of Killing as an early Corbucci/ Leone rip off with below average acting, a rehashed plot, sloppy editing, fair music score, and little if no good action sceneā€™s. Worst part about it (upon first viewing) was that the film felt rushed, inspired only to be a quick cash grab, and offered little else to the genre. It was somewhat of a disappoint, to learn that Hill was in the lead role ( someone I never thought he made a fantastic spaghetti western, and someone I probably would not have casted, as his personality just doesnā€™t work for a lead role) Rather then build on the work of Leone, and shot a violent, action packed film, filled with revenge, a gritty antihero, a deceiving villain, a wonderful, memorable score, and a memorable ending, we get a second rate, rushed, unoriginal, film, with an on the job training so to speak director, second rate acting, and poor editing. For someone who worked under Leone, Valerii certainly should have learned a thing or two more about editing. However upon viewing the Wild East version, Iā€™m safe to say that opinion has been altered. Of course Valerii is still NO Leone, but the film grew on me. I also learned that it was Valeriiā€™s director debut, so I watched with a different set of lenses. Not all spaghetti westerns impressed me the first time I saw them. ( Including the Trinity Films, Day of Anger, Django, Run man Run, 10,000 Blood money, Johnny Hamlet, and even The Good the Bad and the Ugly). all left a bit of a bad taste in my mouth.