Viva Django / Django, Prepare a Coffin / Preparati la bara! (Ferdinando Baldi, 1968)

Isnā€™t there an interview or something on the german DVD? I have to check thatā€¦

Arrow Films here in the UK have a DVD release of this coming out in the new year.
Iā€™ve been in touch with them and will be posting details of the release soon.

In the mean time hereā€™s a link to their site

The U.K releasing a Spaghetti, I am shocked :smiley: .

Itā€™s got to be good news; hopefully Arrow donā€™t screw it up like they done on some previous releases in the past.

Thereā€™s definitely some Django craze going on on the dvd market. And thanks goes of course to Tarantinoā€™s Django Unchained.

Yeah, itā€™s all thanks to good old Quentin. Not a bad looking cover too.

Cannot remember if there is in any horse falls in the film. If there is the BBFC will cut them out.

Been speaking to Howard Hughes by email re this release and he had this to say about the content of the booklet he has written for them:

Should be a few pages, as I supplied them with five pages of text. Went into a great deal of detail about the background of the film, identified (almost) all the Lazio filming locations, a bit about the cast, the casting of Hill, the ā€˜Djangoā€™ franchise, the score. Iā€™ll know more about the format theyā€™ve opted for when I see what Arrow have done with the ā€˜Commando Leopardā€™ release.

He also tells me the print they sent him to write from was ā€œimpressively clear, with a good English language track, 1.85:1ā€.

So sounds genuinely promising.

But Iā€™m sure it should be 1,66:1

If youā€™re corrrect, then dosenā€™t that means Arrowā€™s release will crop the edges of the picture?

They will mask a little bit on top and bottom. Actually most 1,6:1 pictures are released meanwhile in1,85:1. Cause it fits better the 16:9 TV. Donā€™t know why they donā€™t chose instead 1,78:1.

Actually this cropping doesnā€™t harm the films much imo.

I believe this is completely avoidable.

I currently have the Danish release which according to our DB entry is supposed to be 1.63:1. In reality it looks more like 1.78:1 and looks fine. Nothing discernable lost so maybe the 1.66:1 ratio isnā€™t correct? Either way, a decent Spaghetti release in the UK is worthy of celebration in my book. We really donā€™t get that many.

Koch does it the same way. Massacre at Grand Canyon should also be in 1,66:1, but it isnā€™t.

Clucher shot mostly in 1,66:1. Django is in 1,66:1, but Iā€™m sure the next DVD/Blu will be in 1,85:1.

I have Johnny Oro in both formats. Maybe I check the differences one day.
Actually I think that often in cinemas these films were masked also for 1,85:1

True.
Films shot in open matte are similarly treated. Back to the future being the most well known example probably.

Thank you Tarantino ;D

I watched this film saturday morning. NOW HERE IS THE STRANGE THING. It is not supposed to be released till the 14th January, but I found a copy in sainsburies, friday nght, for Ā£3. YES THREE QUID. It is the original film but not in the packaging to be released on the 14th, it menstions that it influnces Tarrantitoā€™s new film etc, and the quality is excellent. It is also released by Arrow films, like the one to be released on the 14th. Very strange indeed.

Anyway, the film. Well, I knew the story in advance from this website, something I always like to do. Now it should have been a very good film, good spag west story, plenty action etc, good sets, actors,and film quality excellent like I said, but somehow it just didnt quite make it for me. And I donā€™t know why. I expected Terence Hill to be more convincng in the Nero part, but he didnt look quite as good as Nero. And I havnt seen any of the trinity films yet by the way. I will prob give it another viewing in next 12 to 18 months. But I have enjoyed other spag wests with a worse story line, and pic quality.

Itā€™s a decent movie, not a top-notch, but this is always what it is supposed to be - entertaining.

[quote=ā€œHilts, post:77, topic:65ā€]I watched this film saturday morning. NOW HERE IS THE STRANGE THING. It is not supposed to be released till the 14th January, but I found a copy in sainsburies, friday nght, for Ā£3. YES THREE QUID. It is the original film but not in the packaging to be released on the 14th, it menstions that it influnces Tarrantitoā€™s new film etc, and the quality is excellent. It is also released by Arrow films, like the one to be released on the 14th. Very strange indeed.

Anyway, the film. Well, I knew the story in advance from this website, something I always like to do. Now it should have been a very good film, good spag west story, plenty action etc, good sets, actors,and film quality excellent like I said, but somehow it just didnt quite make it for me. And I donā€™t know why. I expected Terence Hill to be more convincng in the Nero part, but he didnt look quite as good as Nero. [/quote]

Watch Hill in the 3 Colizzi westerns. There he is really djangoish. Looks and performance.

In Prepare a coffin he often looks too light, too soft.

[quote=ā€œStanton, post:58, topic:65ā€]According to what Iā€™ve read about the making of this film, this must have been Hillā€™s 1st SW. But God Forgives was released 3 months earlier. And Little Rita (in which Hill had a smaller role) 5 months earlier.

Any informations about this?[/quote]

The same Terence Hill confirmed in an interview* that the films were made in that order (the last was Preparati la bara/Viva Django).

Maybe ashamed of his participation in Little Rita nel West, he says also that the choice of his famous pseudonym was made for God Forgives, I Donā€™t and in the previous film he was credited as Mario Girotti, but this does not result neither from Little Rita opening titles nor by Anica data.

http://books.google.it/books?id=KE8dUCzQE7wC&pg=PA13&lpg=PA13&dq=nascita+pseudonimo+terence+hill&source=bl&ots=puebeXztw7&sig=1AWpoW97I8f3zkepwhUcitg-iWs&hl=it[url]http://www.archiviodelcinemaitaliano.it/index.php/scheda.html?codice=AG2138