Vendetta at Dawn / Quel maledetto giorno della resa dei conti (Sergio Garrone, 1971)

Itā€™s a decent release of a diverting and, I feel, under-rated film.

Itā€™s certainly different from your average revenge Western, but thatā€™s not necessarily a weakness; in many ways it works to the filmā€™s advantage. Itā€™s ugly and rough around the edges, but, you could argue, the subject matter warrants this.

Seek it out if you want something more grubbily realistic than the majority of its peers.

Canā€™t say I agree about the lack of spaghetti style, I thought this film was full of classic spaghetti camera work- lots of zooms, off angles and handheld camera work. Also the soundtrack featuring some weird sounds syncā€™d to something on screen, ala Morricone

Just finished my first viewing of the film and I loved it.

I think this is an accurate way of describing the character of the film, and one of the things I liked most about it

Too bad the English audio track sounds like thereā€™s a helicopter stuck in it :smiley:

Yes !..did notice this :smiley: .

I just watched it and I agree, and with a stronger lead than Eastman it would have been even better.

I really like the films of Garrone but this one was big disapointment. Great cast but very bad story and very boring.

Garroneā€™s worst :stuck_out_tongue:

Canā€™t think of one good thingā€¦ maybe the score.

This was an ok time filler for me. No more.
I like George Eastman and the principal bad guy was played by Bruno Corazzari who I have come to enjoy in such roles. But the whole thing jumps around and is too patchy to get a genuine thumbs up from me. I didnā€™t mind it but could not really recommend it either.

[quote=ā€œPhil H, post:27, topic:1442ā€]This was an ok time filler for me. No more.
I like George Eastman and the principal bad guy was played by Bruno Corazzari who I have come to enjoy in such roles. But the whole thing jumps around and is too patchy to get a genuine thumbs up from me. I didnā€™t mind it but could not really recommend it either.[/quote]

All I can do is echo your take, Phil.
That is exactly how I felt about this film!

I watched this movie the day be4 yesterday. The day be4 the day be4 yesterday I coincidently watched The Moment to Kill (1968, Giuliano Carnimeo), NO YOKE. During the opening credits of Vendetta at dawn I had a DĆ©jĆ -vu. The song made by Francesco de Masi ā€œWalk by my sideā€ was in the opening credits of Vendetta at dawn! They just coppied the song from " The Moment to Kill".

The movie itsself was wondeful, I loved it. This kind of SW is exactly the kind of western I like: Dark, filthy and brutal. During the sex-abuse scenes the picture Quality of the german DVD got worse all of a sudden, maybee these scenes were cut out in previous Tapes. This crazy stuff I also like about SW! The movie is very entertaining and contains a lot of action. I would rank it 4/5

They do this quite often in Spaghs.

I only know the mentioned one and ā€œCementery without Crossesā€ (Django Kill!) but i will keep my ears open.

But for CWC the use of Django Kill music is only in the German dub.

What scene did they use it in?

http://www.spaghetti-western.net/forum/index.php/topic,448.40.html

and in some of the posts on the next page of CWC

Thatā€™s nothing really knew and already known. In that case the whole soundtrack is taken from different De Masi scores:

http://spaghetti-western.net/index.php/Quel_maledetto_giorno_della_resa_dei_conti/DVD_Review

As Silence has already mentioned stealing/recycling soundtracks is quite common, especially in low budget productions.

Oh, I was surprised. Better than expected.
OK, the scenes with the family are very cheesy.
Remember a little bit of Little House on the Prairie and Bonanza.
But the bad guys are really dirty and evil. And ensure a constant threat.
Overall, the film remains at the level of the other Garrone films.
Nothing special, but good entertainment. But the potential was not fully exploited.

Just watched this for the first time. I though it was OK, it had some nasty smelly looking bad guys in it, which is a bit strange because the bad guys spent large amounts of time in the river looking for gold, they should have looked a lot cleaner. Iā€™ll give it a 3/5

Well watching this one couldnā€™t help noticing two things: one was the act that for an already 70ā€™s entry on the genre, it looked strangely very classic looking spaghetti, with obvious classical western influences, the second thing is that this was a ā€œlooks likeā€ kind of film to me, why? Well

George Eastman looked like George Eastman but better
The actress who his fiancƩ Laura Troschel looked like PJ Harvey
Ty Hardin looked like Kris Kristofferson
The main bad guy (Corazzari) looked like Richard Harris
One the other bad guys looked like one of the Baldwin brothers (choose one)
The landscape really looked like an US one, instead of Italian
Pazzafini looked like Pazzafini but somehow better
And so on

Not a bad film, in my view, I really donā€™t know how but everything in the film looked amazing classic or modern US Western, even the secondary actors had a perfectly raw appearance with long beards and everything, the Gordon Mitchell usual town also for an instance looked like a regular Hollywood studio.
In the ways it was possible to do so, the director made the right choices at least in my view he did, setting the right pace for the predictable revenge theme, not starting things from theā€¦start as usual, but waiting for the mid film to set things up. also the characters are well structured, not that thereā€™s a thing called character development no, but thereā€™s the preoccupation of showing several types of persons with different behaviours and attitudes but always with a reason to their actions, best example the whoreā€™s change of heart towards the mean brothers, when she finds out that they will always be losers, and will never get nothing from theme.

Thereā€™s a lot of sub-plots all interconnected, the older brother who doesnā€™t want to leave his land, the salon owner, the townsfolkā€™s leaving town the sheriff and Pazzafini character was a brilliant touch in the film story. The director with more or less difficult made the all thing come together fine, the film does hang in a thin line, but it never really falls. The final showdown or chase as you prefer it is pure classic western.
In the end I can say I liked it, it doesnā€™t have an illustrious or glamorous background like others do (no classic Japanese film or some odd book as main influences), only classic westerns, but in my opinion the director made the right choices most of the time in the film, and the bad guys are really bad guys, and really looked real mean and nasty

It looks like it could go to my top 20, but no not that good, still a solid effort above the 3 stars, 3.5 to be more precise.

Well said, Topo
Always good when a film inspires one

This one is on my list to get, as iā€™ve never seen it. :-[