Vendetta at Dawn / Quel maledetto giorno della resa dei conti (Sergio Garrone, 1971)

Database page: Quel maledetto giorno della resa dei conti - The Spaghetti Western Database

Another disappointing effort from Sergio Garrone. Very typical plotwise with non-existant Spaghetti feel. Not an inch above average as far as i am concerned. 1.5/5 stars

Do you dislike Garroneā€™s westerns? Iā€™ve only seen two but they were very good. No Room to Die and Django the Bastard. Havenā€™t seen this one though. But doesnā€™t sound good.

For me it was good enough to earn a solid 3/5

One of those later day spaghettis where nothing is happening. Eastman talks about revenge and getting even and all that stuff but doesnā€™t get on with the job until last 15 minutes or so. 1.5 / 5 sounds fair. At least it has Eastman & Hardin.

Does anyone know about English title ā€œTerrible Day of the Big Gundownā€ that can be found from database? Sounds like a terrbile mistranslation to me. Never seen it used anywhere and books donā€™t know it either. Bootleg title or something?

The Italian title is :
Quel maledetteo giorno della resa dei conti

ā€˜maledettoā€™ means ā€˜damnedā€™, or ā€˜cursedā€™ (rather than terrible, a terrible day can be a rainy day as well)
La resa dei conti is the Italian title of what we call The Big Gundown

@ korano: I only like No Room To Die.

Even the title is generic on this one. Not to mention the ending which is a total failure.

I hope i will like this one. No room to die and django the bastard are two of my favorite SWā€™s.

We might be on the same wavelength here - I like both of the above and although Iā€™m no big fan of Eastman - and despite the above negative comments - I rate this one as well - quite highly ā€¦

So ā€¦I hope you enjoy it ā€¦
and welcome amigo!

I had high hopes for Garrone after seeing No Room to Die and Django the Bastard but his other films havenā€™t been that good, just average stuff or worse.

Iā€™ve got a vid by Garrone under the psuedonym Willy S. Regan - called The Outlaw Rider,
Iā€™ve never watched it - or looked it up ā€¦
It must have another name - any ideas Bill or TH?

[quote=ā€œReverend Danite, post:10, topic:1442ā€]Iā€™ve got a vid by Garrone under the psuedonym Willy S. Regan - called The Outlaw Rider,
Iā€™ve never watched it - or looked it up ā€¦
It must have another name - any ideas Bill or TH?[/quote]
Thatā€™s Se vuoi vivereā€¦ spara! / If You Want to Live, Shoot. Franco Cleef DVD-R project is also available but itā€™s not great - good vhs release might actually be better. Slightly below average effort, still better than Kill, Djangoā€¦ Kill First! or Vendetta at Dawn though. So I agree with Bill, most of Garroneā€™s films are just average or worse.

Thanks - I just looked it up as Iā€™m a bit intrigued now, and I reckon this is worth a watch soon. Iā€™ll get it transferred to dvdr next time Iā€™ve got a mo. Funny - Iā€™ve had this kicking about for ages but itā€™s lanquished pretty much ignored up til now. You never know thoā€™ - Iā€™m hoping itā€™s a goodie despite the views otherwise. :wink:
Weā€™ll see :slight_smile:

The movie features Ivan Rassimov so it cant be that bad i guess. I own the FC dvd myself, but havnt got around to watch it yet.

You must be a Ivan Rassimov fan. I havenā€™t seen any of him myself but we see Taste of Vengeance soon.

I have to agree with the 1th poster. This is a very slow and boring movie, complete without the spaghetti feeling. I have no idea why Sergio Garrone made this crappy movie, 2/5 stars.

I like the gritty low budget feel and that dramatic music everytime a bad guy appears on the screenā€¦ similar to Son of Django. This is my favourite Garrone movie, for some reason I canā€™t get through Django the Bastard, and I didnā€™t enjoy No Room to Die too much.

This is another one of many films that really interest me now. From what I gather about it, 45 minute character intro, late massacre scene, slow vengeance, and killing. Sounds like it goes against the norm which I seem to really appreciate in my spaghetti experience. I also dig slower ones like Shoot the Livingā€¦ And it seems violent. Sounds cool.

Is there a cheap DVD or VHS available? ???

There is a fairly good quality German DVD release around. It has English audio but no mentionable extras. Uncut and in widescreen.

I have an eye on that release. I own too less of those brilliant NEW and Xrated DVDsā€¦