[UK/FR/Germany] MGM Fistful of Dynamite SE

Il mercenario takes place in nearly the same time. I mean, it is revolution…

These revolution films are on the edge of the genre. Viva Zapata (Kazan, 54) is imo no western, but most if not all revolution SWs have strong relations to the genre.

DYS like Quien sabe! or Tepepa could also be viewed soley as war films, but they were all made in the SW context, and all include enough typical western moments.

I realise this thread is very old but it seemed to be the best place to post rather than open a new one.
I have just watched the UK Special Edition and I have a few questions.

1. Is James Coburn, Sean or John? Christopher Frayling’s commentary from start to finish refers to him as Sean (“the Irish version of John” in his words when Juan asks him though he seems to me to say both). However one of the featurettes states that his friend back in Ireland was Sean and he is indeed John.

2. Were the deleted scenes, mentioned in the same featurette, of Sean/John being made to walk through the desert and the torture of Villega ever in any release ? Or were these cuts that Leone made? (please say they were! :))

3. I assume the BBFC cut of a falling horse was in the bridge scene but where? There is it least one long distance shot of a falling horse in this version.

4. When Coburn opens the cattle truck door, to let Juan out, my DVD appears to jump slightly. Is this a fault with my DVD, a problem with the source material that could not be fixed or a bad cut originally?

5. Coburn’s smile seems to drop at the end of the final flashback. Does this really mean,as I see has been suggested here, that he shopped his friend out of jealousy who in turn betrays him in the bar. A direct parallel with Villega’s betrayals of course. Once again Christopher Frayling does not mention this and only seems to concentrate on the sadness of Coburn’s character at having to shoot his friend.

Thanks.

To #2:

These scenes were never part of any released cut, and as it seems only some photos have survived over the years. I also had never heard about them before the DVD release.

Whereas imo the desert sequence would have been too much for a film, in which the 1st half is already too long drawn out, the torture seems to me as a great loss, something the film needs to give Villega, as one of the main protagonists, more stature.

#1:

This Sean/John thing is still puzzling me, but the featurette interpretations are pretty far-fetched.

Well, Sean is Irish for John. It’s not uncommon to hear someone called either. Another example is that you’ll often hear James also called Seamus over here in Ireland. Would Leone have known that Irish people switch between the Irish and English versions of their names?

Well Christopher Frayling is convinced that he is Sean isn’t he! And he seems to know what he is talking about and I really enjoyed his commentaries on the first two “dollars” and OUATITW. I understand he interviewed Leone quite a bit in the years before he left us and of course wrote “Something To Do With Death”. Does he do any lecture tours I wonder? Given his passion for spags that would be one great gig to attend. Wouldn’t it be cool to do a film study course with him!!!

Anybody any thoughts about my other questions?

To #5 and also to #1

I don’t think that Coburn was a traitor back in Ireland, didn’t fit with his character, didn’t fit with the scene where he shoots his friend with his friend’s approval.

I think if Leone wanted to say that Coburn was a traitor out of jealousy, he would have made that clearer, he would have shown it in a more obvious way.

As I said, a very far fetched interpretation.

To #4

Are you sure?
It seems so at 1st sight, but what appeared like a jump to me, was only the backjumping door. The same effect btw in the 1st DVD release. Both are german Pal DVDs.

Thanks for your help Amigos. :slight_smile:

I’ve read that US version contains flashback at the end as well as original mono track. Can anyone confirm it?

Yeah the Duck You Sucker version does, it’s a great release

Thanks, i will get it then, as i still haven’t got dvd of this great movie

wait… just so I’m not confused. the RC1 has something the RC2 doesn’t?

I heard it has got the original english mono track. Apparently they were some changes made while preparing the new version of the audio track and i want the original one as well. But i’m not 100% sure.

It said in the Bonus Feature’s “Murphy’s Pub” in Dublin.