TV’s Greatest Westerns

Not a fan of T.V westerns.

"not a fan of Tv westerns " ???

That is as SAD as a heavy rocker playing loud banging music to torture old lady next door

:smiley: :o ;D

Oh.

What about The Westerner?

That was a great but short lived show.

Have you seen DEADWOOD though, it’s in a class of it’s own.

I find Ian McShane irritating as an actor.

I needed several episodes before I Came into Deadwood, but now I think it’s also one of the great TV series. Too bad, it was cancelled after the 3rd season.

I used to think that, i think Lovejoy is shit, but his performance in this i second to none, i was well impressed.

I agree that lovejoy , Ian McShane and deadwood are irritations on the eyes and ears.

:’(

He seems to have been going around for to long and has been in so much standard stuff.

The hairstyles (especially the mullet one in Lovejoy), the tone of his voice and his smugness are just not for me.

At least the guy keeps the hair dye industry in business with the amount he must plaster on his head.

THE VIRGINIAN 62-71 JAMES DRURY , Doug McClure, STEWART GRANGER

My number 1 all time greatest WESTERN TV SERIES . Each episode was like a film 75 m.

Yes all amusing asides well said ;D

I have to be honest and say that I find the following “actors” extremely BANAL/BORING :

Michael Caine (he looks and acts like a common east end cockney, NOT for me :’(

Bob Hoskins (as above I dislike his persona, his manner, his rough cockney way

Ian McShane (very downbeat, dull, common “drama” roles in later years, sleepy

Hugh Grant (the modern version of dreadful Cary Grant type stupid “comedy”)

My vote for all the above is 2.5 out of 20 for each one >:(

I totally agree.
I started to watch the first series with high expectations, but was disappointed, even disillusioned. I found the first few episodes tedious, but decided to give the show a chance, but it got worse and worse. It seemed to pick up more or less halfway the first series, but this turned out to be a brief recovery. Still I finished the first series and started to watch the second. After three episodes I gave up.

The thing is that I can’t understand what people see in it. The scripts are muddled, nearly without any discernable structure, the camera work is uninventive, with a camera that is constantly too close on the action, and the acting , well the acting is almost as charming as the actress playing Calamity. And the swearing … using ‘fuck’ in every sentence, preferably twice, in a series set in the Old West? I read at least fifty excuses and explanations for it on IMDb, but they were all invalid. I also discovered that quite a lot of posts on IMDb were negative, so I suppose there was some organised positive voting to push up the average rating. Nearly all the positive reviews I’ve read, were uninformative, calling the series great, supurb, innovative (and so forth) without explaining why.

So, if anybody here on the forum can tell me what is so f***ing great about this series, I’m more than willing to listen.

I am no prude and do not mind swearing, but when there is this much it can actually become less effective than if it was not used as much.

The music, style, actors, widescreen camerawork, plots, violence etc of the Spaghetti western is for me and not this T.V series.

[quote=“SARTANA DJANGO, post:52, topic:163”]I have to be honest and say that I find the following “actors” extremely BANAL/BORING :

Michael Caine (he looks and acts like a common east end cockney, NOT for me :cry:

Bob Hoskins (as above I dislike his persona, his manner, his rough cockney way[/quote]

As a proud East End Cockney myself I have to stand up for two of our very best. The list of great work these 2 have produced over the years (especially Caine) would fill a book of its own. I love them both.

Cary Grant? Stupid? Please!

Cary Grant appeared in some of the very best ‘Screwball’ comedies of the 1940s and had a body of work that included such greats as:

His Girl Friday, Arsenic and Old Lace, North by Northwest, Bringing Up Baby, The Philadelphia Story, Notorious, To Catch a Thief, None But the Lonely Heart…and on and on.

A genuine screen legend.

[quote=“Phil H, post:55, topic:163”]As a proud East End Cockney myself I have to stand up for two of our very best. The list of great work these 2 have produced over the years (especially Caine) would fill a book of its own. I love them both.

Cary Grant? Stupid? Please!

Cary Grant appeared in some of the very best ‘Screwball’ comedies of the 1940s and had a body of work that included such greats as:

His Girl Friday, Arsenic and Old Lace, North by Northwest, Bringing Up Baby, The Philadelphia Story, Notorious, To Catch a Thief, None But the Lonely Heart…and on and on.

A genuine screen legend. [/quote]

:-\ NO NO NEIN NEIN Phil as John McEnroe said ;D " You cannot be serious man"

I am a 100% Enthusiast/supporter/lover of truly GREAT CLASSIC ESCAPIST QUALITY

SWs Euro/USA WESTERNS GIALLOS HORROR THRILLERS SCIFI ADVENTURE

I think most/all people on this forum have SIMILAR TASTES :SWs/Gialllos/Westerns…

The Sick/twisted/despicable , morally corrupt “powerful critics” eg Loser Hell-iwell ???
are everyday INCORRECTLY and STUPIDLY praising/giving 4 or 5 stars out of 5 to

BORING TALKY ODIOUS TEDIOUS WOODEN REPULSIVE SLEEP INDUCING

“true life dramas” " pathetic comedies" “real life dramas” “slapstick comedy” etc

ROTTEN POTATOES like : Annie Hall, Brokeback mountain, Full Monty, Bringing up baby, Kramer v kramer, Some like it hot, Tootsie , Manhattan, Mrs Doubtfire etc ???

While the lunatic critics are brain washing us into “liking” the above CR-A-P they are

95% of the time giving low marks, no praise and hateful comments against the

BEST SWs Westerns Horror Thrillers Giallos Scifi Adventure Tv Series Classics etc.

As a devoted fan of SWs Giallos Westerns Thrillers SciFi Adventure TV Classics

I make it my DUTY MY BUSINESS MY MISSION to FIGHT the Sick twisted Critics :’(

I listed what I know and believe are utterly UNDESERVED “oscars” for dull dramas
and I confirm I detest the likes of Caine/Hoskins/Grant (both of them) as I explained.

Cockneys are Ok , we see them them everywhere but please NOT on screen !!
I cannot understand 1 word Caine or Hoskins are mumbling. Get some elocution mate.

Cary Grant was mildly OK in “to catch a thief” and “north by northwest” but his other
cross dressing, bad taste, unfunny “comedies” are 100 times worse than ED WOOD :o

I hope that makes it clear and I will always FIGHT the Mad, bad,sad critics and

STAND UP for SWs Giallos Westerns Thrillers Scifi Adventure Tv Classics etc :smiley:

I really have to believe you are “not serious” about “liking” those “dramas” &"Comedy
???

Believe it, Amigo.

I would also list your hated Annie Hall, Manhattan and Some Like it Hot as personal favourites.
Not because I am a victim of twisted critics, but because I’ve seen them many times and believe them to be films of the very highest order.

The key point here is that it is possible (I would go so far as to say important) to have varied taste in all things. My love of Spaghetti Westerns is in no way threatened by my equal enjoyment of other styles and genres. In the same way that my love of the music of Frank Sinatra is not threatened or lessened by my equal enjoyment of Led Zeppelin, The Ramones or Miles Davis.

Variety is truly the spice of life SD. You should give it a try. It’s really quite liberating.

Phil, don’t waste your time with answering him.

Ha, ha it’s like pressing a button and getting therefore always the same unreasoned laments and platitudes.

A wise man once said …
“A problem may be that a wise man often doubts his own intelligence. Unfortunately, the stupid do not.”

Yeah ha ha defrocked fake “priest” in that case stop playing the “fool” or “stupid”

and STAND UP for Sws when they are savaged and derided by bad tasteless critics ??? :stuck_out_tongue: