TV’s Greatest Westerns

Like all of us here, I’m a lifelong western fan and I have seen alot of books and magazine stories written about the great movie westerns, but I’ve seen very little written about the TV western. I believe there have been about 150 since television began So my question is…what are your favorites? Here’s my "Top Ten’ looking forward to seeing yours:

1. The Wild Wild West
    2.The Adventures Of Brisco County Jr.
    3.The Lone Ranger
  2. Wagon Train
  3. The High Chaparral
  4. Maverick
    7.Have Gun, Will Travel
  5. The Westerner
    9.Wanted: Dead Or Alive
  6. Lonesome Dove (the mini-series)
1 Like

THE RIFLEMAN-HAVE GUN WILL TRAVEL-WANTED DEAD OR ALIVE-GUNSMOKE(THE EARLY ONES)- BONANZA-LONE RANGER-RAWHIDE

I can only name few:

The Adventures Of Brisco County Jr.
Bonanza
Virginian
Dr. Quinn the Medicine woman

No mention of Deadwood?

What about the Luky Luke Comic series on TV? :wink:

1 Like

Good news for “Deadwood” Fans:

HBO Saddles Up Deadwood Season Four
Source: Variety
January 6, 2006

HBO is nearing a deal with Deadwood creator-executive producer David Milch to lock up the western for another go-round, several months before the third season hits the air, reports Variety.

Production, in fact, is still under way on season three’s 12-episode batch, which is slated to premiere in June.

The premiere had originally been scheduled for March, but was pushed back to make room for the new dramedy Big Love, about a polygamist, played by Bill Paxton, and his wives.

HBO executives are hoping to give “Love” a boost by pairing it with the network’s strongest lead-in: the hotly anticipated sixth season bow of The Sopranos.

For anybody who has the Starz/Encore cable stations check out the Westerns channel every week night at 7:00PM to see “The Big Valley” one of TV’s best westerns

1.Deadwood.
2.Rifleman.
3.Wanted Dead Or Alive.
4.Have Gun will Travel.
5.The Rebel.
6.Zane Grey Theatre.
7.Cheyenne.
8.Johnny Ringo.
9.The Lawman
10.Death Valley Days.

How come no one mentioned “Firefly” ?? its almost a western [:)]

My favorites when I was a kid were:

Rawhide
Have Gun Will Travel
Maverick
Tombstone Territory
Lawman
Sugarfoot
Shenandoah
Wagon Train
Cheyenne
The Rebel
Branded
The Wild Wild West

Watched also:

Gunsmoke
High Chaparral
The Rifelman

1 Like

paramount is releasing Rawhide:

Let there be joy to the world and singing in the streets…“The Wild Wild West” is finally out on DVD (I,of course mean the classic 1960’s TV series, not that pile of crap Will Smith movie) The complete first season is now in stores. All episodes are completely remastered and look wonderful. There is also audio commentary from star Robert Conrad. This is just plain great!

Best imho was Have Gun will travel, also liked Wanted Dead or Alive,Rifleman,Johnny Ringo,Rawhide and one with Brian Keith which I can’t remember the name of…Wild Wild West was also good. I was always amazed how they wrung out a great story in a half hour episode! I loved the HGWT beginning when he talked esp and the beginning of some of Wanted Dead or Alive with the blazing gunshots in the dark episodes.
I like all the Lonesome Dove mini series esp the The Outlaw years which we get up here in Canada on the Lonestar channel.
I just finally have gotten around to watching my first episode of Deadwood awhile ago and was shocked and impresed with show and the language lol…In fact its on tonite so I wil be glued to the set!

VJ

Here are a few of my favorites

The Rough Riders
Rawhide
The Rebel
Cheyenne
Bronco
The Deputy
Brisco County
Cade’s County

I live for “Bonanza” and “Gunsmoke”.

I watched The Adventures Of Brisco County Jr. when I was a kid, I loved the mixture of sci-fi with the west

The complete series comes out on the 18th, If any of you are interested heres the link

[url]Amazon.com

That was a good show too, that sadly got cut short.

Little house on the prairie was a sympathetic series for children.

my favourite western series of all time has got to be “DEADWOOD”

to me Ian McShane was just an ok actor (Lovejoy etc.) but his performance in Deadwood is nothing short of outstanding.

long live Al Swearengen

“COCKSUCKERS!”

[quote=“Phantom Stranger, post:6, topic:163”]Good news for “Deadwood” Fans:

HBO Saddles Up Deadwood Season Four
Source: Variety
January 6, 2006

HBO is nearing a deal with Deadwood creator-executive producer David Milch to lock up the western for another go-round, several months before the third season hits the air, reports Variety.

Production, in fact, is still under way on season three’s 12-episode batch, which is slated to premiere in June.

The premiere had originally been scheduled for March, but was pushed back to make room for the new dramedy Big Love, about a polygamist, played by Bill Paxton, and his wives.

HBO executives are hoping to give “Love” a boost by pairing it with the network’s strongest lead-in: the hotly anticipated sixth season bow of The Sopranos.[/quote]
HBO make some excellent programmes
my favourites being

1.DEADWOOD
2.THE SOPRANOS
3.OZ