Top films of the decade

I suppose it is still good time for these kinds of lists with 2011 almost here. So what do you think were the best movies of the decade?

1. The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford
  2. Gangs of New York
  3. Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World
  4. Cold Mountain
  5. No Country for Old Men
  6. Inglourious Basterds
  7. True Grit
  8. Pirates of the Caribbean
  9. Lord of the Rings
  10. The Road
  11. Children of Men
  12. Appaloosa
  13. There Will Be Blood
  14. O Brother Where Art Though
  15. Book of Eli
  16. Gladiator
  17. The Aviator
  18. Gran Torino
  19. 3:10 to Yuma
  20. Open Range

My first thought is my list would definitely include The Wrestler and Hurt Locker. Secondly, if you’re including Gladiator then you’re really spanning the last eleven years, not the last ten.

Good picks, korano. Especially Lord of the Rings :slight_smile:

That’s difficult few films of the last decade are great IMO.

Some of them would be:

Rambo
Der Untergang
Equilibrium
Mulholland Drive

I agree. So few films that aren’t going to be considered classics for a while.

I can’t honestly say which were the “best” and I’m not very interested in being a film critic anyway. However, these are the twenty I think I enjoyed the most (in order of preference):

1. [b]The Wrestler /b
  2. [b]City Of God /b
    3.[b] No Country For Old Men /b
  3. Donnie Darko (2001)
  4. [b]Training Day /b
  5. Taken (2008)
  6. [b]The Bourne Identity /b / [b]The Bourne Supremacy /b / [b]The Bourne Ultimatum /b
  7. Shaun Of The Dead (2004)
  8. Pan’s Labyrinth (2006)
  9. Cloverfield (2008)
  10. The Rules Of Attraction (2002)
  11. The Hurt Locker (2008)
    13 Man On Fire (2004)
    14. Batman Begins (2005) / The Dark Knight (2008)
  12. [b]Old Boy /b
  13. Lost In Translation (2003)
    17.[b] Inception /b
  14. Rambo (2008)
  15. The Hangover (2009)
  16. The Prestige (2006)

I’ve stuck to the last decade.

Well, wasn’t Gladiator made in 2000? 2000-2010 is 10 years if I’m not mistaken.

Eleven years.

Cool some mathematics doubts, but Bigsmokedown right, zero doesn’t count, if so 2010 would be already in the next decade
2000- previous decade
2001 -1
2002 -2
2003 -3
2004 -4
2005 -5
2006 -6
2007 -7
2008 -8
2009- 9
2010- 10 :wink:

2000 - 2009 makes a cleaner delineated decade I think. The Noughties if you will. When we look back we always lump decades together in this way. The 60s 70s etc. So, for me, 2010 was the first year of the new decade. In that case all the top ten films of the decade so far will all be from this year. :stuck_out_tongue: Unfortunately I haven’t seen 10 films worth mentioning that were made in 2010.

It’s too hard for me (as usual) to do any kind of list. If I did I’m sure some of the Park Chan-wook films would be in it as well as Gran Torino.

Here are a few masterpieces of the last decade which get better and better with every viewing. Absolutely fascinating stuff:

Oldboy - Park Chan-wook, South Korea 2003
Sympathy for Lady Vengeance - Park Chan-wook, South Korea 2005
Mulholland Drive - David Lynch, U.S. 2001
Elephant - Gus Van Sant, U.S. 2003
Irreversible - Gaspar Noé, France 2002
Lucía y el sexo - Julio Médem, Spain 2001
Quantum of Solace - Marc Foster, GB 2008
In the Mood for Love - Wong Kar Wai, Hong Kong 2000
Inglorious Basterds - Quentin Tarantino, U.S. 2010
Lost in Translation - Sofia Coppola, U.S./Japan 2003
Talk to Her - Pedro Almodóvar, Spain 2002
Los abrazos rotos - Pedro Almodovar, Spain 2009
Gegen die Wand (Head-On) - Fatih Akin, Germany/Turkey 2004

There were a lot more. I have to check my DVD list.

We had a similar thread last year, and I say it again (cause most here will disagree): A great decade of filmmaking

Most people think it’s that way, but technically its incorrect, when we make 1 year old we have already born 1 year before. One year can only belong the one decade, so as we start from 1 it always will be from 1-10, 11-20, etc
Remember that as we started in century 1 not O, zero year does not exist , it will go from century 1 to 100 and so one. Zero it’s a mathematics paradox. Remember also that to measure things its different from to count things, when we measure things we start from 0, but when we count things we start from 1 . So that’s why the decade will always start in 1991, 2001, 2011, 2021 and so one even if we start to party one year before ;D
The things we learn in accounting school

I don’t think it was a particularly good decade, but at least these six movies have impressed me:

• Le Fabuleux Destin d’Amélie Poulain (French, Jean-Pierre Jeunet)
  • La Meglio Gioventù (Italian, Marco Tulio Giordana)
  • Sympathy for Lady Vengeance (Korean, Chan-wook Park)
  • L’Enfant (Belgian, Dardenne Brothers)
  • The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada (American, Tommy Lee Jones)
  • My Life without me (Canadian, Isabel Coixet)

I liked the Lord of the Rings and (most) Harry Potter movies, but they’re not special favourites. Some directors whose movies I usually like (the Coens, Woody Allen, Marty, Ken Loach, Mike Leigh), did some nice things, but never reached their very best form. I don’t like hyped directors like Von Trier, Haneke or Ozon. The French film industry did quite well this decade (even though many critics are complaining); for the Italian film industry, it was one more difficult period; the best movie, La Meglio Gioventù, was originally made for TV, and some of the more prestigious productions were failures, both commercially and artistically. On the other hand the Italians produced a few very nice smaller, more intimate productions, like Dopo Mezzanotte, La Sconosciuta or Pranzo di Ferragosto. It seemed a good decade for the German film industry, but I don’t know how the German themselves think about this. I know very little about Spanish or Portuguese films, so others have to pick the best examples.

These films also gave me a good time: Mulholland Drive, El Alamein, Hallam foe, Mystic River, Mesrine, United 93, Babel, 21 Grams, Beowulf & Grendel, The Girl with the Pearl Earring, The Passion of the Christ, A Bittersweet Life, Le Silence de Lorna, A Tale of Two Sisters, La Sconosciuta, Indigènes, The Proposition, 3.10 to Yuma, Appaloosa, The Wind that shakes the Barley, London River, Dossier K., De Indringer, Zwartboek (Black Book), Up, Toy Story I-III, Das Leben der Anderen, Gegen die Wand, Das Wunder von Bern, Der Untergang, The Constant Gardener, Elephant.

I’m sure I’ve forgotten a handful of movies, so the decade wasn’t that bad after all.

(Oh, and for me the decade means 2001-2010)

[quote=“El Topo, post:13, topic:2601”]Most people think it’s that way, but technically its incorrect, when we make 1 year old we have already born 1 year before. One year can only belong the one decade, so as we start from 1 it always will be from 1-10, 11-20, etc
Remember that as we started in century 1 not O, zero year does not exist , it will go from century 1 to 100 and so one. Zero it’s a mathematics paradox. Remember also that to measure things its different from to count things, when we measure things we start from 0, but when we count things we start from 1 . So that’s why the decade will always start in 1991, 2001, 2011, 2021 and so one even if we start to party one year before ;D
The things we learn in accounting school[/quote]

I understand and you are right mathematically but my point was that when we look back we do so in lumps with the same number. 60, 70 etc. Maths doesn’t enter into it in this way. If it did then we would consider something made in 1980 a 70s film. ???
In essence, we are not counting forward, we are counting back and lift off is on the zero.

28 Days Later
3:10 to Yuma
Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford
Brotherhood of the Wolf
Children of Men
Departed
High Fidelity
Inglorious Bastards
Ystic River
Napoleon Dynamite
No Country For Old Men
Old Boy
O Brother Where Art Though
Shaun Of The Dead
There Will Be Blood
Zodiac

[quote=“Phil H, post:15, topic:2601”]I understand and you are right mathematically but my point was that when we look back we do so in lumps with the same number. 60, 70 etc. Maths doesn’t enter into it in this way. If it did then we would consider something made in 1980 a 70s film. ???
In essence, we are not counting forward, we are counting back and lift off is on the zero.[/quote]

Yes, but perception is one thing maths is another ;D.
In any case if it was a question in a test you would have to go with right answer ;). And yes a flick made in 1980 it’s a 70’s flick ;D

Any decade is as good as another there are always great films to be seen, this one wasn’t different, I probable forget some other titles that are now coming to mind, but it’s a list as good as any other

1-Le pacte des loups - Christophe Gans 2001 - France
2- El septimo dia – Carlos Saura 2004 -Spain
3- Swimming Pool – Ozon 2003 - France
4-L’anglaise e le duc – Eric Rohmer 2001 -France
5- In the Electric Mist - Bertrand Tavernier 2009- France/USA
6- La terza madre - Dário Argento 2007 - Italy
7- Une vieille maîtresse - Catherine Breillat 2007 - France
8- Lost in Translation - Sofia Copolla 2004 -USA
9-Oldboy Chan-wook Park 2003 – South Korea
10-Elephant - Gus Van Sant 2003 - USA
11-El laberinto del fauno - Guillermo del Toro 2006 – Spain/Mexico
12- Lebanon - Samuel Maoz 2009 - Israel
13- Letters from Iwo Jima - Clint Eastwood 2006 - USA
14- Cavite - Neill Dela Llana, Ian Gamazon 2005 - Phillippinnes
15-Donnie Darko - Richard Kelly 2001 - USA
16- Dirty Pretty Things - Stephen Frears 2002 - England
17-Cantando dietro i paraventi - Ermanno Olmi 2003 - Italy
18- Das Leben der Anderen aka The Life of Others - Florian Henckel von Donnersmarck 2006 - Germany
19-La stanza del figlio - Nani Moretti 2001 – Italy
20- The Hurt Locker - Kathryn Bigelow 2009- USA

Other films are already coming to mind

1. Mulholland Drive (2001)
  2. Election 2 (2006)
  3. A Bittersweet Life (2005)
  4. Sparrow (2007)
  5. Exiled (2006)
  6. Tell No One (2006)
  7. The Secrets in Their Eyes (2009)
  8. Infernal Affairs 2 (2003)
  9. There Will Be Blood (2007)