Time of Vultures / Il tempo degli avvoltoi (Nando Cicero, 1967)

True …

one of the best SW ever made!!

a MASTERPIECE of the genre! yea!!!
10/10 a had the fun made dvd
and it’s very good picture and great sound

Viewed the Koch disc… much better than I remembered, sort of disturbing buddy movie, Hilton and Wolff are great together… only the score is pretty weak at times…

english audio?

I saw this one last night and what a great surprise it was! Thankfully I knew nothing about the movie, so the high expectations didn’t ruin it for me (damn those sneaky high expectations, they always ruin stuff).

Form the begging I though it’s going to be some light half-comedy, about Hilton trouble with the ladies and Wolff as another Colonel Mortimer parody, but it turn out to be very unpredictable and enjoyable movie. That Black Tracy is some character. Half Mortimer/Sartana/Sabata, half gestapo style sadist with epilepsy and mother issue. He has some great lines too: “I woke up next morning to the smell of 20 federal agents”. Ending was great without the vultures scene (I think it’s better that way, without it). I only think that Fajardo and his wife got of too easily. Fajardo is shown as a sadist himself at the begging of the movie, and he’s almighty boss who controls the corrupt law, while his wife is backstabbing minx, and the ending tries to reinstall them as decent persons in a way. Only decent, pure-hearted person in the movie was killed because of Kitosch’s greed and that I saw as his greatest sin, his sentence. If everyone got what they’ve deserved at the end, that would make the ending perfect, that would really made all scores settled.

And I like Umilliani’s score. He has become my favorite Italian film composer next to you-know-who. He has very distinguish style that always has funky/jazzy/latin undercurrent and which sets his SW scores apart form Morricone imitations. He also has great talent for melody. That whistle melody form the begging immediately stuck in my brain. I see how some people could think that it doesn’t suits the movie, but to me the score was more wistful than lighthearted, so it suited the mood.

Anyway I highly recommend this gem, it reinstated my faith that there are still great hidden SW gems out there that I haven’t seen yet, and now I better stop thinking about it, it will damage my brain. :wink:

About the name Kitosch: in Croatia (ex-Yugoslavia) Kicoš (it’s pronounced very similar, this is how we write it) is a pejorative term for a womanizer who pays much attention to his clothes and looks. Pretty boy of sorts, so maybe that’s why the Hilton character has that name. I’m guessing it came from the word Kitsch - Kitosch (kicoš) is a gaudy decorated man.

^Yeah, it’s a good one, i really enjoyed it myself. I think it’s time for a re-watch. :slight_smile:

Just re viewed this one. Wolff is outstanding in this one I thought. Hilton is fun to watch. Very entertaining film. And the Koch dvd is just such great quality. Only wish there was a decent widescreen version of Kitosh of The Man from the North that equals the running time of the Australian fullscreen dvd.

the english audio was horrible!! >:(

Last seen in 2008, (and now re-viewed as part of Spagvemberfest2015) I somehow then agreed with Brother Alk0’s “8/10” - (but not quite Sartana1968’s “10/10 … a MASTERPIECE”).
So - it could make my new Top 20? Fuck n0 :stuck_out_tongue: in fact - it’ll be nowhere near it.

Starting out like a spag version of Confessions of a Window Cleaner it has Georgie-boy hanky-pankying his way through the farm-hands and his boss’s wives, with comical fisticuffy-choreography that would normally set the alarm bells ringing on my comedy-spagometer.
The ‘jaunty’ whistlin’ theme tune and the smirkingly “Ok - whip me, brand me, gang beat me - even hang me” twattish-attitude got me a-wondering what I ever saw in this film?! But - as knob-worthy as George’s antics get, it does improve when Tracy arrives - an uncomfortable hybrid of leather-clad paunch-illy homo-erotic, co*l as fuck, silent and deadly, psychopathic-epileptically-deranged madness as I ever saw in spag-dom. But, unfortunately it never made any sense this time around. There are unique elements that thrilled me before, but alas, not this time.

SPOILERS…

Still worth the watch for all that is sadistically unique, (setting fire to a blind ex-girlfriend 8) and nailing a fellah to a door :o)… but all in all this came across as a pretty incoherent film for the most part this time around.

Just got the Koch disc and, indeed, the English audio is crap. A shit job by Koch, as the audio on my tapes sounds way better. Now the only option for me is to watch it in Italian, with German subs, which is really annoying for a Dutch person.

This has to be Frank Wolff’s best western role, he was great here. An entertaining film indeed.

I watched a VHS rip with crystal clear English audio. It’s a damn shame about Koch’s!

1 Like

Certainly not, he was much better in God Forgives, I Don’t and in the first Stranger film. Also in his short OUTW appearance.
Too bad that Corbucci made his Sheriff in The Great Silence a caricature, a clown instead of a real tragic lawman foredoomed by honesty.

1 Like

And just like that, Stanton’s right again. Darn it!

2 Likes

You were ‘foredoomed’, amigo! … still, it’s nice to see these 16th century words get an airing :wink:

1 Like

Just like pissing in the wind :slightly_smiling_face:

Depends on direction. Pissing or spreading someone’s ashes you better have the wind from behind

Is it bad? I have it but don’t really remember.

But it sound great …

I have to admit, I like it. :smile: