Thoughts on Grjngo Western Movies and what have you watched

Just checked on my Roku and can’t even get the movies to play at all.

1 Like

Ditto here!

1 Like

I’m sure the Grjngo channel is limiting views to youtube because they run ads and they want the ad money. That’s the whole point of the channel, no doubt

1 Like

I’ve been watching it on YouTube. I didn’t know there was a place to get it on roku but if it isn’t working I don’t guess that matters. Lol

1 Like

My thoughts on the channel otherwise are, holy crap, this dude? (is it a dude? is it an actual network channel?) is giving my obsessive tendencies a reflex check… I can’t keep up with everything uploaded to this channel.

Its wild to see so many obscure titles put up in HD prints when they haven’t been released properly. But at the same time, I don’t really like the way these prints are handled - always filtered to the point of having that filtered look… and always overcompressed (the 1080 uploads are around 1gb, which is extreme compression). Honeslty, I do not like the way the Grjngo prints look if we are talking proper HD tansfers

They also seem to be sourced to TV network transfers… they are usually always 25fps which indicates it is a European TV print.

Still, many titles that are not available in this quality otherwise

1 Like

Seems like this is now also a channel on Amazon video (Germany at least) >> Prime Video - Video on Demand - Online-Videothek: Filme und Serien online ansehen oder als Einzelabruf online leihen oder kaufen

As far as I can tell the best quality ones are always released on Amazon UK* first by Minerva Pictures (and at least sometimes on Minerva’s own Youtube channel) and a little bit after that they show up on Grjngo.

*Or maybe some other Amazon as the selections vary a lot.

1 Like

I utter loathe that ugly watermark that the Grjngo channel puts on its releases. I think that a lot of them are upscales rather than true HD, but many have been seen in English for the first time e.g. Seven Bounty Killers for a Massacre, Buckaroo, Djuardo etc.

Yes these first time English dubs are great !
In addition, just goes to show you do not need a Fistful Of Cash to view these westerns :slightly_smiling_face:, which does appeal to my good nature.

1 Like

Most of the stuff I pay attention to on the Grjngo channel (and the Films&Clips channel) are not available on Amazon. There are titles uploaded available on Aamzon, but the channel also has stuff that is released on blu ray (like this week Grjngo uploaded Death Rides a Horse)

But there are many titles which have not been put onto Amazon, blu ray or any other format in near the quality present here.

Many are certainly upscales, I’ve verified this myself doing comparisons and on several its obvious just by a glance. The framerates being usually at 25fps are also an indication of some kind of non-strandard HD source… however I have seen 25fps uploads on this channel that are considerably better prints than any other source I’ve seen

1 Like

Well I’m talking specifically about the (arguably) best quality releases the channel has and earlier this year I followed them uploading this stuff on the channel consistently after it was put up at Amazon by Minerva. I haven’t checked through Grjngo’s older uploads though whatever is there.

On Amazon UK there’s at least (And I don’t remember if Grjngo has all of them or not):

A Name that Cried Revenge
A Pistol for Django
Anything for a Friend
Ben and Charlie
Beyond the Frontiers of Hate
Buffalo Bill
Cjamango
Days of Violence
Death Knows No Time
Degueyo
Dynamite Joe
Even Django Has His Price
Execution
For One Thousand Dollars Per Day
Four Came to Kill Sartana
Hands up Dead Man
Hey Amigo! A Toast to Your Death
His Name Was Pot, But They Called Him Allegria
If You Want to Live, Shoot!
Kill the Poker Player
Killer Kid
Last Killer
Life Is Tough, Eh Providence
Lone and Angry Man
May God Forgive You, I Won’t
One by One
Professionals For a Massacre
Rattler Kid
Samurai
Sartana and His Shadow of Death
Scalps
Stay Away From Trinity… When He Comes to Eldorado
The Magnificent Texan
Trusting Is Good, Shooting Is Better
White Apache
Viva! Django
Why Go On Killing

And probably every bigger Amazon has something in their selection not available elsewhere (but obviously not all of them with English audio)

EDIT: Have to add that Grjngo’s selection does seem to change based on your location so I hadn’t actually seen everything they have up there. So there are some newer uploads that I don’t know if they’re available at some Amazon or not.

This YouTube channel played a large part of me understanding and appreciating spaghetti westerns.

I’d say 95 percent of the ones I’ve seen are from here.

I tend to skip the lower quality picture ones that are hard to watch.

Don’t understand any animosity towards the channel.

3 Likes

Great channel in my view. I have watched most westerns several times, so why keep out paying cash for the less quality type westerns…

I know I must sound like a broken record, but unless it’s economically viable for labels (i.e. if releasing more spaghetti westerns on discs doesn’t earn them money), they won’t do it. If we fans only dish out money for Leone, then what we’ll get is re-release after re-release of Leone. But if we also dish out money for… god forbid… Fidani, then some company might pull out a few other lesser knowns as well…

1 Like

I agree with you Sebastian. On the other hand it is a great way to see a movie before release and a way of decision making whether you like a movie enough for investing money in it. I have seen some movies on this and other channels where I am looking for a decent available DVD or Blu. But also movies that are not interested enough, movies that I have forwarded during watching too much to like them.
Also it is a way of getting people interested in the subject. Grjingo also shows American westerns and people who are interested in these movies are also notified by the Spaghetti westerns (cross-fertilization).

YouTube is more or less public domain, with annoying commercials at the strangest times.
What about Netflix then, they are also providing Spaghetti westerns at the moment. I think Colloseo was unhappy surprised when Starblack came to Netflix, pretty short after they set out the BluRay in Europe.

I like comic books next to the SW movies. Sometimes I borrow these from the library to see if it fits in my collection and worthy of a re-read. I see the movies on YouTube the same way. Buy them in good condition with extra’s and language options when you like them.

If the channels / broadcasts are legal is up to YouTube, that is not my knowledge.

2 Likes

All depends on what available cash a person has to spend on discs.

2 Likes

I’ve recently come across a few ways to locate different spaghettis that are streaming in HD on Amazon in Italy only, and it seems like this Grjngo youtube channel is using the exact same prints except they are more heavily compressed than on Amazon. Other stuff on Grjngo appears to be sourced to fandubs and different versions shared online, as well as official releases. But the HD stuff, I now think a lot of it is either taken from Amazon Italy, or possibly whoever runs the channel is putting the HD prints onto Amazon as well

Or they just all license from the same source that provides them with the material :wink:

I’ve got to question Grjngo actually licensing anything though because I can tell you for certain that fan versions that were never official releases are on that channel. So whoever is running is for sure putting stuff up that has not been licensed

1 Like

Yeah there are some doubts as to the legality of all his stuff, that is for sure

1 Like