Thoughts on Grjngo Western Movies and what have you watched

What are your thoughts on the you tube channel Grjngo western movies? They have tons of spags and really provided me the ability to watch tons of movies. What movies have you seen on the Grjngo channel that you couldn’t watch anywhere else? What was the last movie you seen on Grjngo?

3 Likes

I have seen several SWs lately from my watch list, as a first check before ordering a CD/Bluray if possible and if good enough (which seldom has been the case).
El Puro was one of the latest and it was a rather nice experience in image quality and the SW itself, especially the music. I watched it twise on Youtube/TV which reduced the frame size compared to a CD/Bluray but otherwise it was more pleasant to watch than on a laptop. The frame is not smaller than on a typical very oldtime TV from the 1960-1970’s.
I would buy an offical release of El Puro if there would be such an occasion.

I’ve seen a couple of early SWs on this and El Puro as well…really enjoying this channel…although mosyly I have quite alot of the films on DVD or Blu Ray. On the flip side I also saw Bad Man’s River on this yesterday…it had it’s moments some good action in there

I’ve watched a few. More than I’d expect but nowadays I almost don’t watch television, YouTube took the place. The latest was: Black Eagle of Santa Fe

I’m glad Grjngo posted Gunfight at Red Sands in great quality as the copy I have included on one of those Mill Creek compilations is absolutely horrid with a brown tint taking away all of the color along with other technical issues.

1 Like

I’ve watched quite a few on Grjngo Westerns YouTube Channel since I don’t Often spend money on DVD or Blu-Rays (Nearly Never)

Last SW I saw on Grjngo was They Call Him Cemetery (AKA Bullet for a Stranger)

Thought it was a decent/good movie but the Comedy bits kept it from being rated higher by me

I’m surprised he hasn’t been taken down. Isn’t he breaking copyright laws?

Here’s what it says on their description page:

1 Like

Since a lot of Spaghetti Westerns are pretty obscure, I’d imagine it’s not too hard to get the rights to distribute them.
I’m mostly amazed at the quality of westerns on there. I watched Trinity and Sartana recently and the version on Amazon Prime was much poorer than the free version on Grjngo.

2 Likes

At the risk of sounding like a shill, I love the channel. I’ve been able to watch a lot of westerns on there I wouldn’t be able to otherwise, and they’re almost all high quality. Probably have seen half my top twenty list on it, though I do like to own physical copies of my all time favorites.

3 Likes

It is part of Amogo Networx, which is run by a German guy, who is an expert on VOD rights. The prints all have his watermark, popping up every now and then. So, in all probability, it’s legit. But I wonder how he got his hands on some of the prints.

3 Likes

because they are obscure and the rights situation fractured, it’s exactly the other way around

Not sure how slapping a watermark on everything is a sign for the legitness of it all :slight_smile: I talked to the guy and so far I remain sceptical. It must be a bitch to secure the rights to all these titles, many of which you’d need a magician to even find out who to talk to about the rights. If it were so easy, Koch and the other real labels would have scooped them all up… not meaning to bash the site, it may well all be legit, but I remain sceptical.

1 Like

I didn’t even think about it like that, but it makes a lot of sense. May also explain why I’ve been unable to find certain westerns like The Man Who Killed Billy the Kid for sale.

Is anyone here seriously try to tell me that if they find a title on youtube that they’re anxious to see, they will hesitate to watch it, just in case it has infringed copyright ???

Well then, I suggest that all you morally significant individuals throw out all those bootleg/grey market DVDs you own ( this includes WildEast releases ) … the copies you’ve made of VHS tapes and everything you’ve downloaded from the internet or recorded on your DVR … mustn’t forget making copies of CD or even the ‘Mix tapes’ we all made on audio cassette … because all of this activity IS infringement of copyright.

Be careful you don’t start sounding like a bunch of virgins in a bordello ! :laughing:

3 Likes

I was in a high morally indisputable position over a year ago, and stated here that I will wait for official releases of the SWs on my want list :slight_smile:

But that was before my urge this year to get more possible SW gems or at least good SWs when there were no official realeases available (execpt for a rather expensive Pistoleros in the USD 150-200 range (though Wild East).)

So my SW Top 85 i.e. the 6/10 or better rated nowadays consists of 1 8/10-rated, 7 7/10 and 21 6/10 that are only DVD-R:s.
The other 56 are official DVDs and Blurays.
So maybe my morals may have reached lower levels than ever before if possible, but my satisfaction level definitely has increased.

Somehow you may be able to argue that the broad capitalistic market still functions to some degree since these alternative market nischs can provide ways of satisfying some of the complementary demand.

Wasn’t there a “black market” in many of the countries behind the iron curtain when their market didn’t function at all (low prices - but no goods) ? - implying that the SW DVD/Bluray market do not function too well either…
The DVD-R:s etc is a symtom of that IMO.

2 Likes

I’ve seen the channel pop up on my YouTube feed every so often, and I did see they have a couple different language variant channels, but besides some of the DDR Westerns in German (pure curiosity watches to be honest), I don’t really check out the Grjngo Westerns channel too much because they don’t include the Italian language versions, and a good chunk of the films they do have I have seen already and/or have in my collection. I much prefer Films&Clips and Kult Movies for my SWs that aren’t available yet. Sometimes the visual quality isn’t always the best, or in HD, but they’re still pretty damn good prints, and Films&Clips especially will offer multiple language options.

This is just my own opinion and I don’t hold it against anyone who finds the channel a good source for the harder to locate material.

I did see a little of El Puro on Grjngo and I do have to admit the picture quality was pretty good, so that’s a plus for them in that they do try to aquire the best possible viewing option.

1 Like

No, not because of the watermark of course, but the fact he wrote a book specifically about this. Just a hunch, nothing more.

He also has a lot of crappy prints, by the way.

1 Like

Just a heads up, I was recently watching Mad Dog Morgan on Pluto and out of curiosity decided to check how the version on Grjngo compared. The YouTube version had some violent shots removed, so something to be aware of when watching a movie on the channel.

1 Like

Over the last few days, Grjngo on Roku is not showing any films. When I choose a film, it starts for a few seconds then returns to the video’s home screen.

Is Grjngo now only available on Youtube and not on Roku?

Thanks!

1 Like