Those Dirty Dogs / Campa carogna … la taglia cresce (Giuseppe Rosati, 1973)

I guess it could be quite safe to say that in 1973, but when the Sabatas and the Sartanas were coming out earlier it was truly refreshing seeing them.

I can understand that. I like some of those too. Probably my favourite it’s the sewing machine used by Hallelujah… unreal stuff but very entertaining!

Good review, Phil.

This is a standard PBK western for me (pow, blam, kablooie), lots of fistfights, explosions, et cetera. Not your thinking man’s SW. Having said that it wasn’t a total loss and although I am tempted to place it at a 2/5 I grant it 3 explosions out of 5.

I just finished watching it and it is more tongue in cheek than I was expecting. The brawl in the barracks was enjoyable a little over the top with the added sound effects. Garko is great in it and I liked the Muslim aspect with his Koran reading done to a nice effect. Stephen Boyd is good too as Chadwell. I was entertained from start to finish and that’s what I look for in a good spaghetti western.

Hear hear!

one of the best spaghetti westerns! lots of action some funny moments good music and gianni garko fires with rifle cannon!!

Well entertaining enough film, but one of those projects in which becomes inevitable to think that it could have been done much better, and the production value of the film seemed they were expecting a great success out of this one

The beginning made think that I was watching some real rough and pure gritty SW, but no just a false alarm, the film suffers of being in that limbo territory of not being a pure brutal SW and not totally a comedy. There’s also too much GBU feeling, bad felling I must say, Garko sometimes look more like Clint Eastwood than Sartana and Boyd in some parts of the film as a LVC syndrome, I think this not to blame so much the actors themselves but the film direction, of course the ending is everything GBU isn’t.
In the end it’s a typical 70’s SW in the bad sense of that I mean, if the director had focus more into a determined and violent path with more developed characters it could had been a superior film.
The muslin factor was a nice touch, but not for an actor like Garko for God sake maybe Eastman or Hilton those two would certainly fill the bill better.
Some scenes were so over the top, and Alfredo Mayo (a great actor) character the General was real wasted (by the way a Austrian general who loved Napoleon man that’s like me wearing a benfica shirt, never of course) , also I couldn’t help noticing some gay feeling come on the film’s main theme sung by Boyd … Woman you’re not a friend…, every woman gets stabbed or shot or… are never raped, perhaps the scrip writers were watching too many SW at the time and became confuse, also Boyd was no lyrist for sure.
The gadgets and other stuff well its Spagoland in the 70’s, they’re forgiven
So many bad things and I watched till the end, it does got one positive factor is entertaining to watch and that’s good and of most importance in any film, and by the way I’ve liked this one better than One reason to Die… yap that’s true.

3 stars

I just have one word for this film: ugh.

I believe Garko himself has the same reaction.

i loved this film, one of my best after garko’s sartana series and cemetery

Must have been the third or fourth time I´ve watched this. Still entertaining, with plenty of action and quirky ideas. 7/10

Watched the Timeless Media Group version, which looks ok, but unfortunately was trimmed from both top and bottom. This flick needs a Koch type dvd release.

the japan dvd has a very good picture and good audio
other titles needs a koch media release like the sartana series…
especialy ‘if you meet sartana pray for your death’

Does anyone know that Argentinian DVD from DSX really has English sound and if the quallity is any good, i.e. $29 good? (someone is selling a bunch on ebay)

I just watched this movie today. I actualy enjoyed it! It was uneven, but still pretty fun. Garko was great, as he always is, and it was nice to see some familiar Euro-Cult faces (Andreu, Ross) in a SW instead of Gialli or horror movies for a change (for me anyway). I could’ve done without the long and drawn out brawl in the barracks, and the pacing coul’ve been alot better, but I still enjoyed it. 3/5 stars.

you have a long road for spaghettis :slight_smile:

I know…and I’m loving every minute of it! :slight_smile:

quite forgettable. nothing special. average, not a lot to say that hasn’t been said already. 5/10

Hi!

I have one question about the Italian title.
Which the title “Campa carogna… la taglia cresce” means in english translation? Online translators give me an incomprehensible jumble of words.

Sorry, my english is poor.
Thanks in advance!

I know a bit Italian and I guess it means:
“Live you swine… the reward is rising” or something like it. Not sure.
Johnathan Corbett or Scherp may translate it in a better way and more accurately.

"Live you swine… the Reward is Rising"
A very cool title ! 8)