This Man Can’t Die / I lunghi giorni dell’odio (Gianfranco Baldanello, 1968)

Nice simple story with Madison good as the slightlty older gunman. He is not a young hothead style gunman which appeals to me. Forgot Peter Martell was in this one. Not in the top tier of westerns but a very enjoyable outing which kept me watching. Viewed a widescreen print from the Movies for Men channel.

This is one I did not like.

The excellent theme song on this one is the only reason I gave it two stars!
I like Madison a lot, but this one is no FIVE GIANTS FROM TEXAS (a personal favorite!) or even PAYMENT IN BLOOD.

Also rated two stars. I don’t understand how Baldanello managed to make both this one and the excellent Black Jack the same year.

Baldanello is simply not a good director. Black Jack is a good film, but it ain’t the great SW it could have become with a really inspired director.

This Man Can’t Die is ok stuff, another director probably wouldn’t have done much better with the screenplay. Baldanello’s westerns are mostly as good as their stories.

I just watched this one and I thought it was better than its reputation.

3/5 stars.

Just watched this on ‘Movies4Men2’, I found it quite entertaining however it was a PG rated version and had virtually no violence in it, from reading some reviews I think half the film is missing as it certainly didn’t feature any torture/nudity etc. The most violent it got was a below par brawl at the post office in the first few minutes. Even so I’ll be looking to pick up a more complete version of this before passing judgement. Is in uncut in the cheapo multi DVD packs from the US?

This one really bored me. If it wasn’t for the theme song and pretty ladies (hello, Rosalba :-*) I’d be hard-pressed to come up with anything positive to say about it. Never have gunfights felt so tedious. Barely a 2/5.

However, my main purpose in coming here is to ask: who did the English dubbing for Guy Madison? Whoever it is is on almost every English dub for an Italian film I’ve seen (from Cannibal Holocaust to Fulci & Argento to various gialli and SWs), and my curiosity has finally gotten the best of me. Do they ever receive credit for doing that work? (And why was he dubbed by someone else? Unavailable at the time?)

Just trying to think of a euro western I have seen with Madison’s own voice on the english audio track…

I’ve just uploaded to youtube the credits sequence which has the main theme song:

It’s a capture from the Argentinian VHS.

Nice. I know this movie from one of those cheap box sets I own, it’s in black & white!
So this is the first time I see this sequence in color.

Not a bad movie, probably Baldanello’s finest except for the magnificent Black Jack.

I have it also in a cheap box set, but in color, maybe even with much better colors.

On 1 March 1968 authorization for public showing was denied due to “violence inspired by hate and revenge” and two scenes (rape and saloon fight with the prostitutes) “contrary to morality”. So, after two weeks, in order to obtain the legal permission with a VM14 rating the aforementioned sequences were shortened together with two other scenes in which Martin is beaten.

A funny thing: only one member of the Committee for the Theatrical Review was firmly opposed to the cuts, he was a professor and his surname was Sesso (Sex)…

That might be a result of transfers between PAL and NTSC. In addition to speed/pitch issues, things sometimes end up black & white for some reason. As a kid I spent time on both sides of the Atlantic and remember trying to play NTSC tapes in PAL machines and that sometimes happening often combined with strobing.

[quote=“JonathanCorbett, post:93, topic:606”]On 1 March 1968 authorization for public showing was denied due to “violence inspired by hate and revenge” and two scenes (rape and saloon fight with the prostitutes) “contrary to morality”, so after two weeks - in order to obtain the legal permission with a VM14 rating - the sequences were shortened together with two other scenes in which Martin is beaten.

A funny thing: only one member of the Committee for the Theatrical Review was firmly opposed to the cuts, his name was Professor Sesso (Sex)… ;D[/quote]

So I’m assuming the only version the public has ever seen is the shortened one?

That’s ironic about the guy’s name. “Sesso” is not such an uncommon name though right?

Remember watching this one once and seeing some boobs, not sure of the print source though, may have been a Tv print.

The US version called This Man Can’t Die should be complete and uncensored.

‘Sesso’ is a pretty uncommon surname and can be found mainly in the north-east of the country.

3/5 for me. I love the theme song but some scenes drag on a bit. It starts off really good, goes down in the middle and then picks up a bit again at the end. The Mill Creek transfer is good quality.

This Man Can’t die (1968) Director Gianfranco Baldanello brings us a non-stop, fast paced, film with plenty of shoot outs, and hellraising action. Their are a few slow, dull parts but they don’t last for longer then four or five minutes. If you like your westerns violent, grim, and action packed, this is for you. After Martin Benson’s home is invaded, his parents killed, his one sister raped, he and his brother decide seek out those responsible. The film is almost all action, with very few if any slow or dull moments. I could rewatch this over and over again, Graham is nasty villian, even before I found out he’s the ring leader, their were sure signs he wasnt on the sheriff’s side. I think its my favorite spaghetti western with Guy Madison in it. He sure does a good job in the lead role.

One of two Westerns in which Rosalba Neri wears an auburn wig. I like her character’s name, Meline. And the schmaltzy theme song whose vocalist is apparently unknown: “Life is the only precious thing God’s given to you. … Life is too marvelous for you as well as for me.”

Still waiting for a company to release a nice widescreen DVD of this. Such a great flick!