They Call Him Cemetery / Gli fumavano le Colt … lo chiamavano Camposanto (Giuliano Carnimeo, 1971)

I checked this one out also - it’s sharper than the official Italian DVD by a long way … there’s also another upload of the same film, in English with permanent Portuguese subs … but it’s even nicer quality. So they are likely 1080p ok, but uploaded at low bitrate on YouTube … if you download these files, most are around 1GB more or less.

PS: You don’t get all the annoying breaks and pop up adds if you download them :wink:

The other version on youtube was probably recorded from Amazon (or they even bypassed the drm) because the Amazon (com) version was released around that time (the uk amazon already had it for months I believe) and it has portuguese subtitles available. Looks like it except much worse bitrate.

They Call Him Cemetery has also been available on Amazon but isn’t right now. Don’t know which company is behind the release so don’t know if it had better quality audio or not. May God Forgive is by the actual owners (Minerva Pictures).

Does anyone know what type or model is the collapsible metal cup used by Duke during the film? I’m curious as to what type is the one used in the film because it’s not circular, it has a big D in the middle, within the film it’s a memento from his noble father and it’s supposed to be used in the Old West, so I want to know if it was a popular model of the era or just an Italian invention for the film.

2 Likes

It looks suspiciously like a tin of corned beef - Sorry I don’t have any info to help answer your question, but I am a big fan of this movie, especially William Berger’s character … really funny and really cool.

1 Like

They Call Him Cemetery has been updated to the new layout (3.0). Let us know if you can add anything: pictures, posters, trivia, facts, figures, links, etc…

1 Like

There’s a new poll for this one at the top of the page.

The German Blu-ray is literally exactly the same as the web version that has been floating around.

Here are some comparisons I did of the old Koch DVD against the web version (Amazon?) and the German blu-ray. The web and the German blu look literally identical, despite the blu-ray having a bitrate of 24mb/s and the web only being about 5mbps. The DVD screenshots have been upscaled for comparison.

2 Likes

Hell of a lot of noise reduction from DVD to 1080p … colour and contrast look better, but it’s not much sharper, if at all.

Do you think it’s just an upscale rather than a fresh scan?

It’s hard to say but there does look to be maybe a bit extra detail if you look at the final set of screenshots - the text on the sign is a bit clearer. But I don’t know… it might just be an upscale of a different SD scan with a lot of DNR filtering. The other main difference is the Koch DVD is slightly cropped compared to the blu-ray/web - most noticeable on the 2nd set of screens if you look at the framed picture on the wall above the woman. I have noticed that almost always the Koch DVDs are slightly cropped compared to blu-ray releases, and even the Koch blu-rays are slightly cropped compared to other blu-ray releases

Personally, I’d stick with the DVD until a better release comes along

2 Likes

The German DVD from Koch Media is slightly longer than other releases including the web rip - barely noticeable until you try syncing the English audio with this version … it may only be a few seconds off the heads and tails of some scenes, but it adds up and caused me some massive frustration trying to line up the audio.

After around 6 lengthy sessions which required quite a bit of manipulation of the audio track, I was only about half way there … so I got fed up and quit. I think the fandub currently at CG is the English audio from the Youtube upgrade, dropped on to the web rip.

I’ve encountered this phenomena before, were small clips are trimmed to save on film processing, and you can easily cut out 5 or 10 minutes by making almost undetectable cuts.

Yep, you’re exactly right. I’ve encountered that somewhat often as well, and I did notice it while taking my comparison screenshots since it is tricky to find the exact scenes to compare (I usually take the first frame immediately after a scene switch, so it is easy to get the same frame from different versions. But if the different versions are cut slightly differently, it becomes a hassle.) I have seen this with several spaghettis where the difference in runtime consists primarily of insignificant differences in cut points between scene changes.

That fandub is sourced to the youtube English version that is linked here in this thread, and unfortunately whoever did it did not care about trying to preserve the audio quality… The English youtube audio is originally 128 kb/s AAC but the fandub audio is 198 kb/s MP3. Reducing an AAC audio file to a low bitrate mp3 is a noticeable drop in audio quality. Oh well

1 Like

The curse of having a sensitive ear !

:wink:

1 Like

Oh yea! :smile: Also I’ve just grown more cautious of preserving these things after years of watching mixed media elements being passed down through different versions. Audio tracks being taken from VHS, slapped on DVDRs, transcoded to mp3, then used for fandubs and transcoded again, etc… With something as rare as an English track for this movie, it is worth preserving whatever quality exists since it may well be the best we ever get.

And speaking of the English dub for They Call Him Cemetery, I haven’t actually watched the full movie with the English dub yet but it really sounds pretty funny to me. The voice actor for Garko in particular. And wow, that English on the youtube version is so clean, maybe too clean

It was strange hearing the clean audio for the first time after several viewings of the old muffled VHS audio from the ‘Franco Cleef’ dub … but it is the same voice actors and therefore it must be the original dub session … I know that Spain and Germany sometimes redub old films, but it just feels wrong … it needs to be analogue and mono.

1 Like

When I first managed to get this on video, all you could get in English was I think a fan dubbed VHS with terrible audio. I think it was from Rene/CineCity?

The sound was so low you could barely watch it.

Yeah, that was surely the Franco Cleef version mentioned by @aldo which I’m pretty sure was the only English source up until the recent Youtube version. I know I had it but I don’t remember ever watching this in English, strangely. Franco Cleef got a lot of English dubs from South African VHS sources, if I remember correctly - probably same with that one

1 Like

Sounds like it … and that Franco Cleef version seemed to have been bootlegged further by the public domain vultures - His video source was the Spanish DVD, I think, because there’s a short sequence missing of the McIntire brothers with their Mexican servants doing some ‘comic relief’ before bumping into and being ambushed by Federico Boido’s gang, which is in the German version.

Interesting I didn’t realise Franco Cleef did VHS, I only really became aware of him when he did the Sartanas.

When I first saw this movie it was in German when I was on holiday in Portugal!

He didn’t actually release on VHS as far as I know, but his DVDRs used audio sources from VHS.

1 Like

Looked at the blu-ray some more and it does look a bit more detailed in some scenes compared to the DVD.

The English audio from the youtube video does sync up perfectly with the German blu ray as well, after skipping the company’s logo intro on the blu ray. Looks like the youtube version is the exact same source/transfer as the web/blu-ray.

I sync’d the English subtitles from the DVD to the blu-ray, if anyone wants 'em
Download English Subtitle for They Call Him Cemetery [1971]

Also appears the Koch DVD is lacking day for night scenes at the end: