They Call Him Cemetery / Gli fumavano le Colt … lo chiamavano Camposanto (Giuliano Carnimeo, 1971)

I thought this was pretty excellent, probably my favourite non Sartana Garko movie… but the scenes with Garko and Berger are so strong the film feels pretty weak when they’re not around, but they’re in it enough for me to really like it. Love the score from Bruno Nicolai as well, it reminded me of For a Few Dollars More at times.

For more info visit:
Database page: Gli fumavano le Colt… lo chiamavano Camposanto - The Spaghetti Western Database (spaghetti-western.net)

Give They Call Him Cemetery your rating out of 5 stars!

0 voters

1 Like

I like this one more than Sartana films, I think Carnimeo was at his best with this and first Halleluja film.
Really entertaining, well made film with great cast. Soundtrack is one of my favorites.

I love this film. Its in my top 10. And I like it even more than the Sartana’s, which is saying alot. The premise about Garko looking over the two boys while having a conflict of interest with berger was great. Not to mention the all time great soundtrack.

Don’t you think it’s another Sartana in all but name?

Berger and Garko are dominating the whole movie. Garko reminds me on Sartana (but with lesser gimmicks). The beginning with the shooting old lady is hilarious. Maybe I missed something but was there a reason mentioned why Camposanto puts the flowers on the grave?

4/5, quite a good little movie. Sartana-like with its own charm. I liked the way the boys went from (apparent) fops to actually having backbones…

Because his wife and kids are buried there.

So not a Sartana in all but name, but still very similar.

This film is near the top of my most wanted list, but itll probably be a while until I get to see it.

is this one out in inglish

My DVD (Koch Media Release) had german and italian Audio with English Subtitels. The Quality was great ! :slight_smile:

It’s part of The Halleluja Italo Western Box Set from Koch Media which is on sale for no money at the moment it seems. Got Italian dub and English subtitles.

If you desperately want the English dub there is a fandubbed-version on dvdr floating around. Get it in a trade or off the net. You shouldn’t miss the Koch Media-release though. Get it before it goes OOP.

Edit: Beat by Paco…

Have rewatched Camposanto last weekend.

Typical Carnimeo, but here starts definitely the since then growing comedy influence on his SWs.
The screenplay was written by E.B. Clucher, but there are no similarities to his Trinity films, nothing parodic or funny in here.

Like most I don’t like the scenes with the brothers very much. Even worse are the scenes with the 2 Mexican sidekicks, which are responsible for the worst moments with a rather flat humour.

Berger is good in this one, which isn’t a matter of course for me.

Entertaining, but could be better. 5/10

I like the credits with the horses riding and the rousing Nicolai main theme

Brilliant :smiley:

[quote=“stanton, post:13, topic:1348”]Typical Carnimeo, but here starts definetely the since then growing comedy influence on his SWs.
The screenplay was written by E.B. Clucher, but there are no similarities to his Trinity films, nothing parodistic or funny in here.

Entertaining, but could be better. 5/10[/quote]

Its “seriousness” was the reason Barboni (Clucher) refused to direct his own script, he was afraid the audience was expecting something else from him after Trinity, so I read in Giusti’s Dizionario.

I don’t understand this remark about the growing comedy influence on SWs since this movie
Weren’t the Trinities or some of Carnimeo’s (or Castellari’s) earlier movies responsible for that?

Only “on his SWs”, on Carnimeo’s. The comedy boom began to take influence on Carnimeo’s SW world, and it grew with every film resulting in the pure comedy of the Tresette films.

Camposanto has a “funny” barroom brawl, and the mexican sidekicks are mainly there for comical aspects. But it’s not funny, not a bit. Only awful.

The more serious parts are damaged by this mix.

Interestingly this works much better in My Name Is Halleluja, in which a general sillyness rules.

What I liked about this film is that it had a bit of everything. Action, drama, even a little comedy. But the comedy thankfully was not too full blown ala Trinity. To me it struck a nice balance. A nice, upbeat film that might seem a bit comedic to fans of Cemetery without crosses and Great silence, two totally serious and humerless westerns.

I thought of it as a western version of Rush Hour, which is an action movie with some comedy, as opposed to naked gun, which is purely comedy.

OK but I prefer The Naked Gun and Trinity

At least I think that most who like Camposanto would prefer this film with the comedy scenes cut out or substituted.
But maybe I’m wrong.

The beginning is funny. A baby with a bullet in his mouth, a shooting granny and the two greenhorns without guns. But as Greenhorn Comedy Man of the East with Terence Hill works just better. The two mexicans are a bit annoying and not very funny. I would have cut out some minutes with the mexicans and would have add some more with the brothers. Some more jokes about their greenhorn behaviour would be funny. With the appearance of William Berger the movie goes in a other direction. But I like the movie and wouldn’t cut out the comedy elements.

Surprisingly the german distributor didn’t changed the title into Sartana. :slight_smile:

[quote=“stanton, post:18, topic:1348”]OK but I prefer The Naked Gun and Trinity

At least I think that most who like Camposanto would prefer this film with the comedy scenes cut out or substituted.
But maybe I’m wrong.[/quote]

Yes I see where you’re going, and I agree. You’re saying that it is better to have either a full blown comedy or no comedy at all, as opposed to a movie with a half element of comedy.

I tend to agree with you for the most part. Movies like W Django for instant seem to be marred by its comedic elements, when it should probably have been a better film had it been fully serious, but I think of Cemetery as the exception to the rule. It just seemed to have the right mixture of everything without going overboard in any one direction. A film of balance.