The White, the Yellow, and the Black / Il bianco, il giallo, il nero (Sergio Corbucci, 1975)

[quote=ā€œLindberg, post:40, topic:266ā€]It has a top notch SW cast so it canā€™t be all bad

Eli Wallach, Tomas Milian, and Giuliano Gemma !!

;)[/quote]

Actually, that is exactly why I think it is one of the worst films ever made. It has wonderful, superb actors in itā€¦and none of them can save the damn thing! In fact, most of them (apart from Milian) look as if they woud have rather been somewhere else (make that anywhere else!) than in this film. Completely awful movie. Just my opinion, of course. ;D

But Gemma is ok, he does what he mostly did in these days. Wallach looks unhappy. Milian looks silly, but seems to enjoy it.

Corbucci checked his bank account instead of the screenplay.

2 Likes

This one is indeed a mess.
I avoided seeing it for years as I like all three main actors a lot and feared seeing them in something I suspected would be awful. To be honest though Gemma and Wallach are fine and fit the mood well. It is only Milian who is embarrassing. (Chris Casey will enjoy hearing me say that) Furthermore, although it is a comedy western and I am usually averse to these things there were some genuinely funny lines in it in places. Itā€™s just the blood curdling uneasiness you get from watching and listening to Milianā€™s Japanese caricature that sends the thing beyond the pale. And Milian is far too prominant in it to ignore.

What amazes me is that anyone, let alone the talented people involved, thought this was even remotely acceptable or that it had a hope in hell of flying.

1 Like

:smiley: ;D :wink:

Not viewed this one in years as have bad memories of this one, but who knows one day I may re view.

I would love it if someone could transcribe the opening scene for me when she references all those SWsā€¦

Have gone through many different releases of this film and managed to not watch any of them yetā€¦ Like Phil, Iā€™m afraidā€¦

Wallach is a Sheriff who is just ready to leave in the morning his family for doing his job, and his wife complains with a long monologue about his incompetence as father and head of family. This monologue consists mainly of naming SW titles.

Are these Spaghetti titles in the english version? The only one I noticed was A Bullet in the Head. Or did I miss something more? He does call his wife My Darling Clementine though.

Just the Italian version. If anyone has a copy of the movie with Italian subtitles, they should all be listed. It wouldnā€™t take too long to copy out here, I donā€™t think ::slight_smile: ???

I watched this one (the new ems DVD) last night and will write about it soon. Clued in to the difference in dialogue in the opening scene between the English and Italian versions (and there are NO subtitles) I went back and watched the beginning in Italian. It was possible to pick out more than a dozen SW titles mentioned by the wife-- Per un Pugno di Dollari; Vamos a Matar, Companeros; La Resa dei Conti; Il Mio Nome Eā€™ Nessuno,; Faccia a Faccia; Minnesota Clay; Bounty Killer; Corri, Uomo, Corri; Un Dollaro Bucato; Giuā€™ la Testa; O Cangaceiro, and (probably) Per Qualche Dollaro in Piuā€™. But thatā€™s not all-- she says Leone, Barboni, Bambino, de Masi as well. Eli Wallach responds with ā€œChe Cā€™Entriamo Noi con la Rivoluzione?ā€ :smiley: A member who speaks Italian could probably add another dozen references and put everything together for usā€¦

I think the film is a bit silly, but not as bad as Iā€™d heard. I enjoyed sections of it quite a bit. The ā€œun-PCā€ tone of the film bothers me not one bit, since Iā€™m sick of being ā€œbeaten about the headā€ with PC nonsense on a regular basisā€¦

Probably the worst of Corbucciā€™s SW and not funny at all.

Just watched the first minutes in Italian
Quick, quick, quick

Yes, she mentions Per Qualche Dollaro in piĆ¹
Also Un Dollaro a Testa (Navajo Joe)

Iā€™ll return to the scene and try to pick up some other titles

I just voted and gave it 1 star, what amazes me though is that someone gave this turkey 5 stars.

Well, you know Ion, some queer birds passing by every now and then :-X

Donā€™t look at meā€¦

[size=8pt]It was meā€¦[/size] :ā€™(

An error in memory

Itā€™s really a bad film, maybe if it was done by Fidani or something, but in any case most of the late seventies and 80ā€™s Corbucciā€™s films and career werenā€™t that brilliant, I did watch Rimini Rimini even Laura Antonelli didnā€™t look good (well Serena grandi was Ok).

[url]http://img829.imageshack.us/i/11790697gal1.jpg/[/url]

Okay okay Tomas, itā€™s not a great film, but maybe youā€™ll have some fun with the review:

[quote=ā€œscherpschutter, post:59, topic:266ā€][url]http://img829.imageshack.us/i/11790697gal1.jpg/[/url]

Okay okay Tomas, itā€™s not a great film, but maybe youā€™ll have some fun with the review:

http://www.spaghetti-western.net/index.php/The_White,_the_Yellow,_the_Black_-_Review_(Scherpschutter)[/quote]

One of the kindest reviews Iā€™ve seen for this film Scherps. You are either in a very good mood or just very forgiving by nature. I fear I wouldnā€™t have been so kind to a film which stars three of my favourite actors, is directed by one of the giants of the Spaghetti Western genre and is such a pile of rubbish.