The White, the Yellow, and the Black / Il bianco, il giallo, il nero (Sergio Corbucci, 1975)

Not viewed this in years as had bad memories re this one. Even viewed a decent widescreen version this time round. This is one silly film, and actually did not mind it on the whole. But I have been in a silly mood recently so that may be why :stuck_out_tongue: . Love to know what Tomas Milian thinks of his role in this now. Wallach had aged since his Tuco role, but he was no spring chicken when he made this. And of course he is still with us which is great of course.

Have been reading (or rather poorly guessing my way on the basis of Spanish) through Giusti this holiday period. Just noticed that Giusti actually transcribes this scene in his discussion of the film.

Decided to give this one a watch, I had avoided for years. Well, it was a big mistake and complete waste of time. By far the worst S.W. that iā€™ve seen. I can tolerate some comedy aspects in westerns, but the stupid slapstick antics in this was so bad that i didnā€™t even laugh once. I didnā€™t have any beers at the time :o, but i donā€™t think it would have helped anyways. A big F on this one.

No beers is hard work in this one :slight_smile:

The first two sequences look promising, the instrumental variation on the theme song is beautiful, the empty town with all male citizens behind bars (!) is not a bad idea and the ending is passable.

Thumbs-down for everything else.

That is true.

This is certainly the worst SW with Gemma and in all probability the worst from Corbucci (I still have to watch Che cā€™entriamo noi con la rivoluzione?).

[hr]

Excellent work on The Soliloquy scherp, but you have missed this one :wink:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0071208/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

So the correct translation becomes:
ā€œAnd you, stop behaving like a Beast!ā€

[hr]

Ilona Staller
Il nome Cicciolina, nacque ufficialmente attraverso un programma radiofonico notturno di Radio Luna dal titolo ā€œVoulez-vous coucher avec moi?ā€. Durante le trasmissioni chiamavo tutti gli ascoltatori ā€œciccioliniā€. La prima puntata risale al 30 ottobre 1975.

The red-headed saloon girl does the same with Eli Wallach! The film was completed in December 1974 and released in mid-January, soā€¦

1 Like

Thanks Jonathan

My favourite scene is where Swiss convinces Black Jack to open the booby-trapped treasure chest, but Black Jack is so drunk he canā€™t remember which lock to open. He even tries playing Eenie meenie miney mo with the locks.

Swiss: Wait! Are you sure?
Black Jack: Sure? No.

Swiss then leaves a whimpering Black Jack to curse his own forgetfulness.

1 Like

I think that Wallach and Gemma are the best things about it.

1 Like

Honestly, this movie was how I became a fan of Guido and Maurizio DeAngelisā€™ music.

Copied from the Spagvemberfest 2022 thread:

1 Like

This one has now been updated with A NEW POLL to vote on at the top of the page under the original post. Please find it and share your rating with the community.

As usual, link to forum page has also been added / fixed, poster art added, and broken links removed. The original memberā€™s post is as intended, at the top section.

Any issues, please say.

1 Like

@Admin And this oneā€™s database page is in need of update to 3.0

Bianco, il giallo, il nero, Il - The Spaghetti Western Database (spaghetti-western.net)

1 Like

Now it is. Contributions welcome

This film feels like a chaotic fever dream and is a mess, but I laughed at some of the scenes, so it wasnā€™t all bad. I think Milian looks creepy and is totally politically incorrect though :joy:

Anyway, I wanted to make an appreciation post for the pony. Here it is:

Pony appreciation post. The hero we need but donā€™t deserve

7 Likes

If itā€™s a choice between the acting genius of Tomas Milian, or the absurdity of ā€˜Political Correctnessā€™, Iā€™ll take Milian every timeā€¦ :cowboy_hat_face:

2 Likes

Iā€™m a massive Milian fan but this one is hard to take even for me

3 Likes

Must admit that I do agree with that sentiment, Phil. Itā€™s been years since I last watched it, and I donā€™t recall being particularly impressed with it. I need to dig it out and watch it again soonā€¦

Itā€™s not the finest moment for Milian, Gemma, Wallach, or director, Sergio Corbucciā€¦ :wink:

My original gripe was more against Political Correctness, than anything elseā€¦

1 Like

I watched this yesterday with low expectations and because of that I enjoyed it a lot more than I thought I would. Obviously itā€™s a below average film with a silly story and some ridiculous moments, but I went along with it 4/10. Would be interesting to know how much Gemma, Milian and Wallach got paid for this film :laughing:

2 Likes

Regardless of how much ā€˜bad pressā€™ this film gets here at SWDB, it will be interesting to see how many buy, nay, pre-order the inevitable Blu Ray release ???

:wink:

1 Like

Only if it comes with a poster, postcards and bonus soundtrack :rofl:

1 Like