The Unholy Four / Ciakmull, l’uomo della vendetta (Enzo Barboni, 1970)

Here is an external review

The last time I viewed this one was way back in the 80’s via VHS. Had forgotten most of the film, but that is not a bad thing in this case. Engrossing story with some real nice scenes. Especially liked the scene in the woods and the scene where the bad guys were pretending to be Mann’s family. Oh and what a cast !

1 Like

Done a third run, I think, on this one. I’m pretty sure now that it would be a memorable flick if Barboni decided to use a different kind of soundtrack. The one used is definitely not fit to the action.

1 Like

Watched this for the first time the other night and wanted to like it because of the director and cast but I can’t say I did all that much :slightly_frowning_face:

Although the Italian title - Ciakmull - may appear a bit odd, the retitle in English - The Unholy Four- isn’t accurate for all of the main protagonists. I’m referring to Woody Strode, who had some definite “holy” beliefs as he prayed and played the church organ. Unlike Hondo, he was not so interested in the money either, but valued Silver’s friendship more than monetary gain. My cynical girlfriend said that she thought Silver and Woody were gay, the multiple rifle shots in Woody’s chest would have stopped him sooner, and that the way the two “lovers” did a final death stare into each other’s eyes was laughable. I prefer to think Silver and Woody were real buddies like Butch and Sundance dying together, and that Woody was strong and determined to avenge his friend’s killer before death took him. Not unlike in The Wild Bunch when a bullet ridden Dutch calls and crawls to his dying friend Pike before they both expire. All these three films were released in 1969.

1 Like

Haven’t seen this in a whie and don’t remember it much. Have noted direction, acting an ending as its strong points, Have taken it on board fro a review during the Spagvemberfest.

I like the action and the movie is entertaining but when it comes to these Dirty Dozen- kind of spags - Today we kill, tomorrow we die is my favourite.

1 Like

I watched this film some months ago and then I wrote a few lines that I want to share with you now just to discuss a little:

I think that maybe it’s a not a “good” movie from an objective point of view and from the eyes of the non familiarized with Italian Western, but as Spaghetti is one of the most clichéd and typical cases that can be seen, a clear example that breathes genre cinema from all four sides and should be valued for what it is.

I have to say that it has a good technical aspect, a variety of scenarios and multiple situations that give it a lot of dynamism, but what makes this film so fun for me is, on one hand, the action and its sense of rhythm (the final shot is surprisingly well recorded and edited, one of the best I remember in a spaghetti western); and on the other hand, the moments of involuntary comedy, supported by a script full of clichés that makes me blushing at some times (a guy who loses his memory and keeps a dark secret, two families facing each other…it’s like a soap opera and nearly from the beggining you can guess what comming next), with a few lines of delirious dialogue (I have seen the Spanish edit, in wich the main character repeats several times in a dumb way “I’m very confused”…in other case, there is a stupid line that justifies the title given to the film in Spain -“Ciakmull, open gate to hell”-, etc.), all accompanied by a very flat main character with the acting skills of a potato.

The worst thing of all is the music, more typical of a (voluntary) comedy of the time, which does not fit into the film.

I don’t know if it the intention of Enzo Barboni was to make a Spaghetti Western that doesn’t take himself seriously before laughing at the genre in a wide open way with his “Trinity” films, but I think he made a very enjoyable film.

2 Likes

I agree the main music theme is awful, however this SW still since long time is 7/10-rated by me but now at the last position of a big group of SWs with so high rating. Maybe it only deserves a 6/10. Anyhow it is only ranked 36 on my SW top 50.

Soundtrack is indeed off, and the same goes for Today We Kill… Tomorrow we Die.

A Decent SW but nothing to write home about (maybe slightly disappointing - with what it could of been)

Like everyone else said the Theme Song just didn’t fit (sorta felt like a 60’s Hippie Bus Tune)

Also 3 of the main characters dying off just didn’t sit well with me
I mean all them IMO should have lived and Chuck Mool Should of been the one to die :joy::thinking::grin:

Principal, supporting and background actors in this nice video. As correctly written in the database Dell’Acqua is Arnaldo and not the late Roberto.

I prefer the latter parts of the film as opposed to the escape scene in the beginning. I still find the original story entertaining, and the directing, acting, cast, mood are good enough, but the main music theme by Ortolani is a bit irritating. It could have been more dramatic. Some guitar playing similar to in Resquiecant sounds good though.

Due to more competition after having watched many more SWs my ranking now on my SW Top list is 60 but with a rather strong 6/10 rating.

58 Yankee (Tinto Brass) 1966
59 Tequila Joe/Time And Place For Killing (Enzo Dell’Aquila) music Francesco De Masi 1968
60 The Unholy Four/Chuck Moll (Enzo Barboni) 1970
61 Pecos Cleans Up (Maurizio Lucidi) music Coriolano Gori 1967
62 May God Forgive You … But I Won’t (Vincenzo Musolino) music Felice Di Stefano 1968

1 Like

A bit disappointed with this one. The music, as most of you have pointed out, is widely inappropriate especially at the end (was this composed for a different movie but then just used to save time?). Thought little was made of the asylum - none of the characters were ‘mad’ so might as well have been a normal prison (never explained why Chuck was in there or how he got out of the burning shack). Poor old Evelyn Stewart; Mann tells her to go inside the house for safety for the final gunfight and she is never seen again! (I wondered if she had been shot during the final shoot-out but they had cut this ). There was also no real linkage of the opening robbery to the subsequent narrative. Having watched Killer Adios, in which the hero is immediately recognised by several townsfolk when he returns after a few year absence, I found it odd that no-one recognised Chuck Moll and were even fearful to speak of him (even though dead and apparently a good guy).

Chuck Moll has been updated to the new layout (3.0). Let us know if you can add anything: pictures, posters, trivia, facts, figures, links, etc…

1 Like

I just watched this one again.
If someone could update the main page: Ciakmull - L’uomo della vendetta

At least some of the “filming location” was set at Elios Film Studios

Thanks,

2 Likes

As requested by Rayo the Filming locations section has been updated.

I like this film. I got really emotionally attached to the characters so the ending, where Silver, Woody and Hondo died really got me; especially Woody and Silver’s deaths. The connection between those two was so beautiful

But yeah, I agree, the music wasn’t fitting. It was too happy for the movie.

And what the hell was this scene?:
Alan: You’re a bastard Chuck!
Chuck: No… NOOOO *dramatic zoom in to Leonard Mann’s face, flashback begins

1 Like

New poll for The Unholy Four at the top of the page on the original post! :grinning: :arrow_up:

1 Like

The best sound track of any western movie I’ve ever watched: The Unholy Four [link to full movie removed]

1 Like