The Unholy Four / Ciakmull, l’uomo della vendetta (Enzo Barboni, 1970)

Excellent film by Enzo Barboni.

Story is About four men who escapes from mad house. Leonard Mann is Chuck Mool, amnesiac, who returns to his home to discover his past. It’s very grim story about twisted family ties (which reminded me of Texas Addio, Forgotten Pistolero etc) but there was also some comedic scenes which were later re-used in Barboni’s Trinity films(bean-eating, saloon fights and card games).
Great cast with Woody Strode and George Eastman in supporting roles. Eastman is very cool and almost stealing the show from Mann.

For more info visit:
Database Page: Ciakmull - L'uomo della vendetta - The Spaghetti Western Database

Give The Unholy Four your rating out of five stars!

0 voters

1 Like

‘Django - Die Nacht der langen Messer’ is the German title

• nice little autumn western

I liked it !!!

1 Like

Watched from a VHS ? Is good the image ?
Really don´t that much o fight on SW, but…

thanks

I thought the four(Mann, Strode, Eastman, and Martel) were all good in this flick. Good film.

1 Like

CIAK MULL THE MAN OF REVENGE 1969 LEONARD MANN George Eastman

Excellent Leonard Mann stars in this superb, exciting SW directed by Enzo Barboni.

CIAK MULL 1969

1 Like

Having just watched this one, I wonder what the following textis doing on the movie’s datbase page, as itis ridden with incorrect information:

"The Unholy Four was originally titled Ciak Mull, L’Uomo Della Vendetta. It’s one of those spaghetti westerns in which the heroes and heavies are virtually indistinguishable. Though the outlaw leader (played by George Eastman credited by his birth name Luigi Montefiore) is evil incarnate, he isn’t much worse than the four mercenaries hunting him down. Stalwart John Ford-regular Woody Strode is given plenty of screen time, and he makes the most of it. Director Enzo Barboni was billed as “E. B. Clucher” in the American prints. "

Very good movie by the way.

Yeah, I really liked this one too…got it on the WE double-bill release.

1 Like

another entertaining if uneven spaghetti western,some competent action scenes and the four leads are likeable enough, but the plot meanders and after a pretty good build up, the final scene ( without giving anything away for those who haven’t seen it) in my opinon is disapointing.the music is a little repeatative. ok overall but could have been better.

A good, gritty film…
The only real negative for me is that the main theme is out of place, quite irritating and repeated way too often.

1 Like

I saw it yesterday for 3 Euro (german DVD) in a ‘cheapest stuff’ store. I think I get there today to buy the slightly cut DVD…

Watched this one straight after Forgotten Pistolero, but unlike that film, hadn’t seen this one before.

Four men escape from an asylum when it is set ablaze as a distraction to cover a robbery. One of the men, an amnesiac, is recognised by one of the robbers, but he dies before he can provide any further information. The four former inmates then travel to the town (incidentally the same one as named in Forgotten Pistolero) where it seems the mystery of the amnesiac’s identity can be solved.

Really loved the opening theme tune, though it seemed a little too jaunty for this type of film. Also it was played so damn much that i couldn’t get it out of my head and it got rapidly irritating. Not sure why the English title of this was The Unholy Four… Slightly deranged maybe but hardly unholy, i mean one of them was obsessed with Jesus and singing hymns! Once again Leonard Mann is out acted by his more animated comapnions and once again he plays an amnesiac. Given that blank look of his i guess it’s a good type of role, but that’s a small complaint. He did well enough, and i really enjoyed this one. Again, the twist of who rendered him in that state was not hard to figure out but it didn’t detract from the film. Probably give this one another viewing soon.

This is also one of my favourite b-westerns. I agree with the music. It’s quite a groovy easy listening theme, the really can haunt you for days. But it’s a bit too easy for the movie as it seems to say: As long as you got your buddies (ok, they’re all dead in the end) amnesia and all that tricky family revenge stuff aren’t that bad, keep on riding little fella!

Some time ago I started a thread about it, because I couldn’t get hold of the name of one actor, the one who plays Tom Rucko, the red-haired baddie. Maybe in this thred the mystery will be solved???

[quote=“Dillinger, post:12, topic:215”]This is also one of my favourite b-westerns. I agree with the music. It’s quite a groovy easy listening theme, the really can haunt you for days. But it’s a bit too easy for the movie as it seems to say: As long as you got your buddies (ok, they’re all dead in the end) amnesia and all that tricky family revenge stuff aren’t that bad, keep on riding little fella!

Some time ago I started a thread about it, because I couldn’t get hold of the name of one actor, the one who plays Tom Rucko, the red-haired baddie. Maybe in this thred the mystery will be solved???[/quote]

You’ve hit it on the head there. It does seem to be a theme better suited to some lighthearted, breezy “buddy” movie, rather than whaty the film actually is.

As for this actor…do you mean the one who plays Evelyn Stewart’s brother? I can’t find him actually listed by character anywhere either…

Yep, that’s the one I mean! I looked everywhere to find out his name: the books (Bruckner, Kessler), the movie sites (“normal” movies and SWs). It actually IS a big mystery around this actor!

I guess he must have done something reeeeeeally bad in the Italian movie business, so that his existence on the silver screen was extinct forever. Maybe he knocked di Laurentis’ daughter up, or he had it with Corbucci’s wife or something like that…

Maybe it has something to do with area 51…

Cool. I bought the 3 Euro DVD… Looking forward to it…

[quote=“Dillinger, post:14, topic:215”]Yep, that’s the one I mean! I looked everywhere to find out his name: the books (Bruckner, Kessler), the movie sites (“normal” movies and SWs). It actually IS a big mystery around this actor!

I guess he must have done something reeeeeeally bad in the Italian movie business, so that his existence on the silver screen was extinct forever. Maybe he knocked di Laurentis’ daughter up, or he had it with Corbucci’s wife or something like that…

Maybe it has something to do with area 51…[/quote]

Well…you got me curious…i do like a mystery so i did some investigating. I was sure i’d seen him before…and he plays Hank in Days Of Violence. I believe he was also in Navajo Joe. And the name is…Lucio Rosato :slight_smile:

Hi ho Silver!!!

Yes that’s it! You got it, or him! I just had a brief look at Navajo Joe and it’s Lucio Rosato. That’s good news! :slight_smile:

Ok, bad news for the friends of an alien-adultery Mystery :frowning:

[quote=“Dillinger, post:17, topic:215”]Hi ho Silver!!!

Yes that’s it! You got it, or him! I just had a brief look at Navajo Joe and it’s Lucio Rosato. That’s good news! :slight_smile:

Ok, bad news for the friends of an alien-adultery Mystery :([/quote]

:smiley: Yes, pity he didn’t turn out to be more of a shady character! Btw…i didn’t look, but in Navajo Joe, is he Aldo Sanbrell’s half brother?

Hmmm… I can’t remember exactly, he could be his brother. I just know, he’s one of Aldo’s gang.

I watched this past week - I felt let down by it - I didn’t hate it I just was expecting something a little better given the cast.