The Ugly Ones / The Bounty Killer / El precio de un hombre (Eugenio Martín, 1966)

Is that the bit in the barn when the worker is trying to leave the town where it sounds like the audio track switches?

1 Like

Exactly … it’s horrible.

When you say they did their own looping, does that mean they spliced in an audio track from a different source or did the WE guys voice it themselves?

They voiced it themselves … and also did this with some bits in ‘Long Days of Vengeance’ and ‘Johnny Hamlet’, which they boasted, ‘For the first time a complete English version’ … the beginning of the movie with the actors on the beach is in Italian, but they have someone voicing the English version of the Shakespeare speech right over the Italian audio track - WTF!

2 Likes

I was just about to follow up by asking about Johnny Hamlet aha. I remember during the attack on the house in the final act there’s a bit where all the voices change for about a minute and it really confused me.

I didn’t get that far with their version - watched the much better quality German release instead.

1 Like

Whoever redubbed Horst Frank sounded like a total clown and it really took me out of it.

2 Likes

I will post a PDF, this shit is amazing. I didn’t know these existed (I am too young).

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1EmA6I0EGNhsrr3Jk9l0tjWvsUuQmsU9t/view?usp=sharing

4 Likes

Great find there! Alot of SW movie programs and posters from all over the world can be found on ebay at very reasonable prices.

All the more reason to watch ‘Johnny Hamlet’ and the excellent ‘Long Days of Vengeance’ in the Italian dub - and disregard any bogus WE audio tracks. Although it’ll likely be superseded by the upcoming Blu-ray release, the Cecchi Gori DVD of ‘Long Days of Vengeance’ has great picture and audio quality.

damn that one wasn’t even in the database yet. well, let’s assume it’s from CG that they acquired rights and material

I did and still do champion Wild East but I agree entirely there. I haven’t actually watched my Blu of The Ugly Ones yet but I remember it being really distracting in Johnny Hamlet. I’ll have to check that out.

Same. Still grateful for Wild East doing what they did though.

Totally. If I can get the new Blu of Long Days… (it’s another one Amazon won’t let me pre-order) I’m looking forward to finally being able to watch it in Italian.

yeah, same. But I’ve had that issue with previous explosive releases, never been a problem getting them once they are officially released and available to order though. Should be fine.

Cool. Can’t wait to finally be able to get my hands on them. It’s strange though…I’ve never had a problem with any of their releases until now.

This movie’s page in the SWDb has been upgraded to the new “SWDb 3.0” format. Please have a look and let us know if there’s something you can add (information, trivia, links, pictures, etc.).

Added a new poll at the top of the page. :+1:

1 Like

Has anyone read the original novel to this? I found a summary on Google which said that the plot is pretty similar except that the Milian character was a white guy (so they have changed him to a Mexican to add a racial and class frisson to the story). The summary also mentioned a different ending without stating what.

1 Like

Haven’t read the book, but it would be interesting to find it and compare it to the film (SW:s generally aren’t the kind of movies you expect would be based on a book) although I don’t know whether it’s a really well written thriller-like story that’s as interesting and enjoyable as the film or if it’s just another cheap example of mass literature. In the latter case, this might be a rare example of where the film outmatches the novel.

The author wrote quite a lot of western novels. Duel at Diablo (1965) and Rough Night in Jericho (1967) are two American westerns based on his novels. Duel at Diablo follows the book very closely except for the character played by Sidney Poitier who was white in the novel and had a smaller relatively superfluous role. In Rough Night in Jericho most of the changes are done for Dean Martin’s benefit - Martin’s character is a merger of two different people in the novel (the chief villain and the chief villain’s chief gunslinger). They have also made a romantic relationship between Martin and the Jean Simmons character which isn’t in the book (all done to increase Martin’s screen time).
Unfortunately I haven’t read The Bounty Killer. Albert’s stories are generally quite easy to translate to screen without changing the plot much. It’s literature for a popular market but quite easy for a filmmaker to ‘improve’.

3 Likes

Just rewatched this one, and I think I liked it a bit more the 2nd time round. Solid 7/10 for me; can I vote 3.5 in the poll? :stuck_out_tongue: I’d probably rank it in the upper middle of Milian’s canon overall.

I think it could have been better if they leaned more into the ambiguity of his character and had him come across as being more troubled with his choices. Unfortunately he comes across too bloodthirsty too early which gives away the direction of the story.

Like others have said, there are definitely issues with the audio and audio cues in general. Punches and gunshots seem subdued compared to the Italian dub, and in the version I watched the whistling/humming to denote the arrival of Hefner was absent completely! I just assumed Chilsen and Eden could feel the vibrations of his arrival :sweat_smile:

Speaking of Hefner, did anyone else believe he was being setup as Chilsen’s secret partner?

Oh one last thing I noticed: the colour grading is massively different between the 2 versions I’ve watched.
vs

1 Like