The Ugly Ones / The Bounty Killer / El precio de un hombre (Eugenio Martín, 1966)

Sounds great - and it’s going to be in the original Spanish too!

If you are attending and there is an opportunity for questions, could you possibly ask about the supposed relationship between “El precio de un hombre” and “A Fistful of Dollars” in terms of how they came about? The following quote by Martín is apparently in Aguilar’s book:

“El productor, José G. Maesso, conocía bien a Leone, cuyo guionista de confianza entonces era
Duccio Tessari. Y de hecho fuimos a Roma porque Maesso quería proponer a Tessari
colaborar en el guión de El precio de un hombre . Sin embargo, Tessari rechazó la oferta,
porque estaba empezando a urdir con Leone una película que acabaría siendo La muerte tenía
un precio . Pero leyó nuestro texto, y se interesó extraordinariamente por nuestra idea de un
cazador de recompensas como protagonista, algo que nunca se había hecho en ningún western
europeo. Por eso, me permito suponer que Leone, tras conocer nuestro proyecto por vía de
Tessari, modificó la idea inicial que tuviera para La muerte tenía un precio , a fin de convertir
a Clint Eastwood en un cazador de recompensas. Por lo demás, la película de Leone y la mía
son totalmente distintas”.

Maesso makes a similar comment about the relationship between the films in his biography “José Gutiérrez Maesso: el número uno” by Jesús García de Dueñas on p.349-350. If anyone is interested, I can type that out here when I get the chance.

1 Like

I won’t be attending, unfortunately - I’m sure it will look great on the big screen, and hopefully the print is good.

This is one film which deserves a quality BD release … hope that happens soon.

That`s great. :slight_smile:
Hopefully spanish 35mm were copied on better material than the italian copies.
I have an italian 35mm print with faded colours.
Here are some pictures:

3 Likes

Thanks for the pics, Grinder … I’d be happy to see your copy, over the horrible DVD releases on the market.

Hope to get some feedback on the screening later tonight :grinning:

Due for May 2019, according to SW DVD news page: “The Ugly Ones (France, Artus), BluRay, tbc”.

What are we to expect from this?

@makesthemovie wrote a few lines about the movie, which you can now read here (more to come!)

https://www.spaghetti-western.net/index.php/Precio_de_un_hombre,_El/Opinions

• I NEVER back out from a fight!!!

• Well… You will back out from this one

Am I the only one that thinks Richard Wyler is great in this one? I think he did a great job as a stubborn Bounty hunter willing to take down Milian at any cost.

2 Likes

Check out my little write-up in the opinions section of the film’s Database page, I give Richard Wyler a positive mention.

1 Like

THE UGLY ONES is an eagerly awaited, highly appreciated and top rated BluRay by Wild East that is now available. Get it on the official website:

http://www.wildeast.net/spaghetti-western-collection-c-1/the-ugly-ones-blu-ray-edition-p-321.html?zenid=iv6h7ebk068ij5muv9hbheons7

1 Like

So weird seeing it in good quality. I guess it’s the same print as the French blu ray.

1 Like

You think? LOL :wink:

If they wanna release Shoot the Living, Pray for the Dead, I’ll grant them access to my limited 4K collector’s deluxe restoration with every character dubbed by John Phillip Law.
Ultra Rare OOP SEALED.

1 Like

What why is The Ugly Ones not available on WE’s site? I could have sworn I Pre-ordered it but my account says I didn’t.

1 Like

Loads of stuff was randomly taken off their store yesterday including all their blu ray releases

Just bought this on ebay

https://www.ebay.de/itm/Filmprogrammheft-Sammlung-Atlas-Filmheft-ohne-DOLLAR-keinen-Sarg-/394205957148

i hope it wont disappoint, i dont usually buy these collectibles

1 Like

Just rewatched this one. Still don’t think it’s all that good. Milian and the film’s score are the only things of note in this one for me.

The Wild East blu looks great but the audio is really quite crappy. Couldn’t really hear most of the conversations clearly.

1 Like

damn, wonder if the French Blu is any better…at any rate this one needs a Plaion grade quality release

1 Like

Yeah Arizona Colt had some sub-par audio as well, not sure what was up with some of these WE blu’s and their audio. I don’t have The Ugly Ones and maybe for the better… that sounds worse then Arizona Colt’s audio… at least that was just annoying hissing off and on.

1 Like

This film’s English track has had a bad reputation for years now. The WE DVD had crap audio aswell, so It’s probably the same track.
I do remember the German ‘Marketing’ DVD sounded even worse…

1 Like

That’s almost certainly the audio that Wild East used, and it’s probably from some old VHS recording - Strange that better audio couldn’t be located as this film was released in English speaking countries, so there should be some surviving 35mm or even 16mm prints still in existence.

PS: W.E also did some of their own ‘looping’ on this for one short scene without English audio … and it sounded ridiculous!

2 Likes