The SWDb Top SW soundtrack awards

What should we do with the Top 60 (approx.) we have compiled now then ? :slight_smile:

1 Like

oh iam a bit late. I miss 3-4 songs.

• Ennio Morricone - Bullets Don’t Argue (Le pistole non discutono)
  • Sergio Endrigo - Back Home Someday (Tempo di Massacro (Massacre Time)
  • Francesco De Masi - Ringo the lone rider (RINGO, IL CAVALIERE SOLITARIO)

• Ennio Morricone - The Wild Horde

Dead men dont make shadows.

Only 48 voters so far, who hasn’t cast their votes yet?

Just cast mine.

1 Like

Lallo Gori needs more love. The guy put out stellar music for each film he did, regardless of the film actually deserving it or not. I mean his music is really one of the only reasons I can get through Fidani’s films.
I picked up Con Lui Cavalca La Morte and it’s such a fun and well put together score, especially Sequence 10, which has got this excellent and exciting energy to it. I also gotta give similar praise to Massacre Time, it’s a shame though that Nazionalmusic (who has ownership over the score) has put out zero of the Spaghetti Western scores they have ownership of. Does anybody have any clue why?

2 Likes

Still only 53 votes, what’s up with everyone? ;))

I must admit I tried to avoid doing this and looked up as many soundtracks or suites thereof before voting. In fact I spent so much time doing this I missed nomination entirely and just voted. That said I can’t think of many or in fact any really good soundtracks (as opposed to title tracks) that got missed out. It’s also the reason, as I mentioned before that Morricone tends to dominate.

1 Like

In that case, I think it’s another good reason why we need to do an alternative top 20. Just so we can bring some of these other artists to light.

1 Like

That sounds like an interesting idea, I wouldn’t mind taking that approach since film scores in their entirety are a difficult thing to gauge.

After this vote I wanna do

• alternative top 20 (vote on those that didnt make it plus some others, should be interesting)
  • best theme songs - opening title songs
  • best credits sequences (visually speaking)
1 Like

The Forgotten Pistolero score is great, too.

1 Like

Yea this experiment didn’t quite go as planned, but I think we learned a lot from it. We only have 58 votes, but we had a lot of participation in the nomination process. The results were kind of predictable, but the debate leading up to this illustrated how.

I think it has to do with that film music is sort of second fiddle for a lot of people. The main theme is a little easier to rate, because we hear that most prominently. The rest of the music is usually covered up with action and sound effects. People will appreciate different things in films. For Spaghetti Westerns I think people enjoy watching hordes of baddies do exaggerated flips after they get shot more.

1 Like

For that vote we should find them all on youtube and put them with the poll, to make it easier even

Good idea! It’s a lot easier when people can have something to hear and gauge in high quality, without all of the hiss and distortion, and thankfully we have a large percentage of these soundtracks in great quality!

That’s a great idea, requires knowledge of the subject and we have a couple of excellent topics forming a good starting point.

So after 60 actual votes, but many more nominations, the result ist

1. The Good, The Bad and The Ugly
  2. Once Upon a Time in the West
  3. The Big Gundown
  4. For a Few Dollars more
  5. The Great Silence
  6. A Fistful of Dollars
  7. The Mercenary
  8. Duck, You Sucker!
  9. Companeros
  10. Django
  11. Navajo Joe
  12. Death Rides a Horse
  13. Face to Face
  14. My Name is Nobody
  15. The Return of Ringo
  16. Day of Anger
  17. Forgotten Pistolero
  18. Cemetery without crosses
  19. Run man run
  20. Sabata
4 Likes

Terrific work, Seb. Top man.

It’s a tad underwhelming to see that, three films aside, it’s essentially the Essential Big 20 but, then again, I guess the greats are the greats for many reasons, not least of which are their soundtracks.

Woohoo, Bacalov made it to Top 10! 15 out of 20 for Ennio. Well it could have been even more :blush:

I am bit surprised to see Big G at no.3. It’s one of my faves, but I’ve seen mixed comments about it on this forum.

1 Like