The Stranger Returns / Un uomo, un cavallo, una pistola (Luigi Vanzi, 1967)

Rewatched this from the great Colosseo disc. When I saw this for the first time I thought it was as good as the first one if not better but now I definitely prefer the first one. Mainly because of the villain. Frank Wolff was so crazy in the first one, but Dan Vadis doenā€™t stand out. Tony Anthony tells in a interview (extra feature on the disc) that the Dan Vadis actually replaced Klaus Kinski who broke his back during the first day of shooting. What a shame!

Just saw this one finally, the last of the Tony Anthony westerns for me to watch (Except Cominā€™ At ya). While I do enjoy the others just a tad bit more, the scene in this one where Tony is eating across from one of the baddies and then blasts him with his ginormous Shotgun, is one of the greatest death scenes in a SW Iā€™ve ever seen.

a million times better than the first and the best soundtrack ever!

somehow i like van davis character, fits very well in this one

Consider me a fan of the STRANGER films, too. But Iā€™m a BIG Tony Anthony fan, so that goes without saying. :slight_smile:

Me too. Heā€™s probably my most favourite non-Leone SW actor. Seems to me I heard Tony say in an interview years ago that they were going to do a good box set of all of his Stranger films. I guess that still hasnā€™t been done. I gave this a 5. Itā€™s in my top 5 SW.

The English version credits are very sparse with only 6 cast members. The German DVD has 11 with the last being Lucky Foxado u.a.m. I suppose this could be Fortunato Arena as he was credited as I remember as Lucky Ares somewhere. There are 21 listed on ANICA, are these the Italian credits? We have Silvana Fiorini as Mrs Stanley, but isnā€™t this Rossella Bergamonti?

Very similar, but Anica omits two performers and thereā€™s no ā€œFred Copemā€ :slight_smile:

Tony Anthony, Daniele Vargas, Ettore Manni, Jill Banner, Raf Baldassarre, Marina Berti, Anthony Freeman, Renato Mambor, Franco Scala, Mario Dionisi, Arnaldo Mangolini, Roberto Chiappa, Fred Coplan, Filippo Antonelli, Luciana Antonelli, Silvana Bacci, Sonko (in both Tempo di massacro and Joko invoca Dio e muori Runachagua plays a character with this name), Antonio Danesi, Giuseppe Addobbati, Mario Castrichella, Fortunato Arena
with Marco Guglielmi
and with Dan Vadis

Yes itā€™s Rossella, whose real name is Rosetta.

1 Like

Looks like Ennio Pagliani isnā€™t credited

1 Like

Didnā€™t end too well for his character in this one! :relaxed:

Luciana Antonelli is only credited in a couple of other films, one being La battaglia del deserto (1969). Like The Stranger Returns there are very few female roles, here confined to flashbacks. In Rik Battagliaā€™s we have 2 women, a hard to see blonde and this darker haired party girl who is a probable match for the surprised lady intruded on by the Stranger.

1 Like

I love the ā€˜Strangerā€™ filmsā€¦

I received the third film, ā€˜The Silent Strangerā€™, on dvd, though the post, yesterday. I would have watched it last night, but was caught up with watching Robert Woods in ā€˜A Colt in the Hands of The Devilā€™, on the Movies-4-Men channel

Regarding ā€˜Coltā€™, a load of crap

Awful dubbing, not a lot of action, and a sub-plot that that would be meaningfulā€¦if it were not meaninglessā€¦

One I need to see in the english dub.

Hopefully you enjoy The Silent Stranger. I personally hold it as one of my favorite movies. Even in itā€™s current altered form I still enjoy it as a fun romp that has some enjoyable scenes. Also, I know I might get some flak for this, but I think it has a little more care put into it than the first two stranger movies, both in the story and the acting.

Just to update what my initial thoughts were, regarding ā€˜A Colt in the Hand of the Devilā€™ā€¦

It could be that the plot appeared to make no sense to me, simply because - I strongly suspect - so much was cut out of the version I watched, on the ā€˜Movies-4-Menā€™ channel. The film did appear to be ā€˜all over the placeā€™ with the editingā€¦

I wouldnā€™t mind seeing a longer version of ā€˜Coltā€™, if there is one availableā€¦I check it out.

Cheers for thatā€¦Iā€™m sure I will, even though the version Iā€™ve just bought, on DVD, from Germany, doesnā€™t appear to have the greatest picture quality in the Worldā€¦ Iā€™m just grateful that I now have a copy! Iā€™ll let you know how I get on with watching itā€¦
I strongly suspect that, I am going to get to the end of the film, having thoroughly enjoyed it, and wonder why ā€˜Colosseoā€™ doesnā€™t release a good, cleaned-up version, as it did with the first two ā€˜Strangerā€™ filmsā€¦?

Chiappa is also credited in Arrivano Django e Sartanaā€¦ ĆØ la fine. Can you share a picture? :slight_smile:

Sure, here is Roberto Chiappa on the right in Occhio alla vedova (a.k.a. Inquietudine, 1975) from the director of Chrysanthemums for a Bunch of Swine Sergio Pastore

and as Gibbo (Anica) in Squadra Antiscippo (1976)

So, one of the many En Plein henchmen in this one. I havenā€™t checked Django and Sartana Are Comingā€¦ Itā€™s the End yet.

1 Like

It must be noted that Custer Gail is always credited as Castrichella and not Castrighella. The first surname is not that uncommon in Lazio, the second extremely rare: so maybe his real name was Mario Castrichella as credited in this one and Amerigo another screen name just as in the case of director Tanio Boccia a.k.a. Amerigo Anton.

Havenā€™t seen this one yet. I didnā€™t like the first (but i love Blindman) so is it worth skipping or is it an improvement with itā€™s seemingly bigger budget?