The Spaghetti Westerns of Lucio Fulci

HAHA :smiley:

I just read from the Anchor Bay Django/Django Strikes Again booklet that Franco & Ciccio film ā€œ2 Sons of Ringoā€ is actually directed by Fulci. Film is credited to Giorgio Simonelli who died at the beginning of the production though.

I wonder if this info should be added to database or can we trust this source?

[quote=ā€œBill san Antonio, post:22, topic:1329ā€]I just read from the Anchor Bay Django/Django Strikes Again booklet that Franco & Ciccio film ā€œ2 Sons of Ringoā€ is actually directed by Fulci. Film is credited to Giorgio Simonelli who died at the beginning of the production though.

I wonder if this info should be added to database or can we trust this source?[/quote]

There seems to be doubt over this. Giusti records Carnimeo as the one who completed the film but says that some claim Fulci did it. At least thatā€™s as far as my lack of italian leads me to understand from the entry in his Dizionario. Perhaps Scherps could check it for us and add some clarity? :-\

Itā€™s really hard to say, which one is the ā€œbestā€ of them. None of them is really a fave of mine. Maybe Silver Sadlle is the best. I would be a great one, but in the end it left me quite annoyed: The title song killed me after hearing it like 30 times throughout the movie, and the end with the kid is amongst the worst i ever saw in a western.

I do have them, but I have yet to watch Silver Saddle or the White Fang films. I did enjoy Massacre Time, more than FotA.

FotA just didnā€™t work for me, which is odd- just in thinking about the film, it seems like one I would really like. Parts of it I did, and it started out promising, but just continued to lose my interest as the film progressed. A lot of it seemed like it was trying too hard to take itself seriously. Maybe I need to give this one another shot, its been quite a while

I remember reading some very ā€˜snootyā€™ reviews of Fulciā€™s horror films back in the 80s. I think most reviewers found it hard to take anything seriously from the director of a film called Zombie Flesh Eaters. However, I was very impressed by the moody, surreal quality that he brought to his best films, especially the Beyond and City of the Living Dead, and have always considered him a very interesting director.
Four of the Apocalypse is my favourite Fulci Western because tonally it feels more like one of his horror films.

Fulci is sadly underated in my opinion. Three of his films ( Silver Saddle, Massacre Time, Four Of the Apocalypse) are action packed, full of great casts, scores, and plots. Fulci had some of the genreā€™s biggest stars, including Tomas Milan, Guilano Gemma, Franco Nero,George Hilton, and Ettore Manni,playing pretty big roles in each film which is probably I enjoy them so much. Itā€™s a no wonder Fulci is not mentioned among names lke (Colizzi, Corbucci, Leone, Solima, who are regarded as the best in the genre. ) Two of of these were made in the 1970ā€™s, Silver Saddle being the one of the last if not the last spaghetti westerns ever made, and if anything, Fulci was proof the genre had a future, and I for one would have looked at him for inspiration.

I have tried to watch it three or four times, never managed to finish it. I have it hidden (separated) from my other Spaghies for the time being. As a matter of fact, Massacre Time is the only Fulci spagh that i likeā€¦so:disappointed:

The first forty five minutes move pretty fast, until you get to the mining scene though is kinda slow, its very important, and after it the film picks up real quick. I donā€™t want to give any spoilers away, but the final ten minutes feaures some of favorite moments in any Fulci film, as well as display a fine performance by Tomas Milan. Made in the mid 1970ā€™s Four of the Apocalypse came around when the genre was in its very last days. I recommend it.

Rate ;em,discuss 'em.

I think you should drop Bullet for Sandoval out cause it isnā€™t really Fulciā€™s film. Canā€™t really say which one i prefer. Massacre Time is classic, Silver Saddle is also very good late-era spaghetti western. Four of the Apocalypse has itā€™s charm too even if itā€™s little uncoherent.

Not counting Sandoval, only 4 For the apocalypse have been released on an official disc, right?

Thereā€™s at least two official dvdā€™s of Massacre Time. SPO disc from Japan and one from Eagle Pictures Italy.

I thought sandoval was a fulci film,please explainā€¦

He only co-directed some parts of it. I donā€™t know exactly how much he was involved but it was Julio Buchs who directed most of this.

I must admit that I havenā€™t seen Man in the Silver Saddle but Iā€™ve seen the others. Massacre Time is clearly the best (in my opinion, of course). I like portions of Four of the Apocalypse but think that it should have made better use of Milianā€™s characters (truly a sick and scary individualā€¦)

Flynn

Iā€™ve only seen Massacre Time but I liked it!

I think my fav is now Four of the Apocalypse since it is the most entertaining Iā€™ve seen from him. Havenā€™t seen Silver Saddle and Sandoval is not Fulciā€™s film. Not even half. According to George Hilton and he should know. He was there.

Massacre Time for me.

I would rate them in this order.

1. Silver saddle
  2. Four of the apocalypse
  3. Massacre time