The Return of Ringo / Il ritorno di Ringo (Duccio Tessari, 1965)

American commentators, by any chance ?

Itā€™s amazing to me that quite a few well known expert commentators on the subject, have not been interested enough to learn the correct pronunciation of key players in the genre.

1 Like

Yeah, funny enough they pronounced ā€˜Corbucciā€™ correctly. So why donā€™t they think ā€˜Duccioā€™ follows the same rule?

Leone as ā€˜Lee-own-eeā€™ like Pony, and ā€˜Lee-ownā€™ (Guess that one comes from the Godfather).

ā€˜Eye-vun Razimovā€™ instead of ā€˜Ee-van Rass-eemovā€™.

U wot m8? :thinking:

1 Like

If you canā€™t pronounce Gemmaā€™s name properly, Iā€™d be suspicious of your expertise on other matters!

2 Likes

This movieā€™s page in the SWDb has been upgraded to the new ā€œSWDb 3.0ā€ format. Please have a look and let us know if thereā€™s something you can add (information, trivia, links, pictures, etc.)

In the box it says * Full credits.
This link leeds to a non-exixting page.

Yes, needs some work :))

Poll added (top of page).

Copied from SWDb General Maintenance:

1 Like

The Return of Ringo I watched last night and it was better even than I expected. Big contrast with wise cracking fun boy Angel-face in the first ā€œinstalmentā€ and beaten down anguished Ringo in the ā€œsequelā€. No drinking milk here as Ringo is putting away serious liquor.
Great to see all the same faces back in different roles. George Martin is super as Paco Fuentes and his smug head. Esteban a measured villian with his weakness for Rosita who plays all sides and makes it to the end to my surprise.
Gemma brings us through all the emotions and gives a super performance with great depth. The soundtrack is magnificent throughout jutting in scenes adding continuity, driving the plot and adding to the emotion.

The scenario with the town being controlled by the Mexican gang and the downtrodden locals is handled very well. The locals are in despair and the scene with the (first) funeral and subsequent shootings is great. I loves the religious imagery popping up everywhere: Ringo in the church with the candles lit beside him; the statues and crosses in the mansion; the ringing church bells; the brilliant shot of the returning Montgomery Brown in the door of the church for the wedding and above all the great sequence where Ringo walks on the street shot through the stained glass window of the church.
Morning Glory, the Native American, the saloon owner and in particular the sheriff all add to the movie. I liked the weak sheriff drinking in his office and with his gun in his hand pours the rest of his drink back into the bottle - it was time for business and redemption for him.
Further great action scenes in the tavern at the start, the saloon, some great fights, the dinner after Ringoā€™s funeral, the shootout after the wedding and the climax is great action although the machine gun was either rubbish or the guys didnā€™t know how to shoot it.

In many spaghettis the heroā€™s motives are either purely monetary or based on revenge but in The Return of Ringo, Gemma shows a vulnerability and emotion in his motiviation to win back all he has lost. Maybe that is why it worked so well for me.
I loved it - 5 stars - Iā€™ll explain afterwards!

4 Likes

Well said. Both Ringo movies are top 10 for me. I love how the second feels like an alternate universe with the same actors returning and, like you said, there is some really nice depth with Ringoā€™s internal conflict with this one. The directing is excellent with beautiful imagery and cinematography. I also like how Return of Ringo is less expository than most movies. This version of Ringo is relatively quiet (the other side of the coin to the bravado exhibited in the first, which provides another nice contrast between the two movies). The lack of dialogue means it is incumbent upon Ringoā€™s actions (and the directing) to tell us what is going on in his mind. For example, the sequence early on with his friend seeking out a special herb; we have no idea what plan is being hatched until Ringo reaches his hand into the cooking pot and cut to a shot of him where he has camouflaged his skin as he rides into town.

A pistol for Ringo perfectly balances humor with action and, to me, is how a spaghetti western comedy should be balanced (no sudden slapstick sequences popping up out of the blue like in My Name is Nobody). Even though Return of Ringo has less overt humor, there are still lighthearted elements that are quite playful and very much amuse me (like the theme song heard repeated in various ways throughout and another repeated catchphrase).

I feel Duccio Tessari knocked it out of the park with these and Iā€™m surprised they arenā€™t ranked higher on some of the lists on the site. I give both 5/5 as a matter of principle.

4 Likes