The Return of Ringo / Il ritorno di Ringo (Duccio Tessari, 1965)

It took me a few views to ā€˜figureā€™ out the dye thing & the Indian visit. That was weird. What is even more questionable to me is why did he not just come back & get his wife & kick some arse/ass? What did hiding out actually accomplish? I rolled with that missing link because it is a great overall SW & one of the few that I find actually touching.

He had flowers to attend to.

Because this is taken from the Odyssey. He didnā€™t want to go and take back his wife and shit only to find she actually loved her captor. He wanted to see if she was still in love with him. He also wanted to measure the odds against him. This isnā€™t normal spaghetti territory. This is moreā€¦realistic. Hard to say for a Spaghetti

Iā€™m aware of the Homer reference. It still had me asking. Makes sense though. Maybe that realism is what makes it so touching for me.

I finally got round to watching this for the first time today. I didnā€™t like the first Ringo film much, so I was glad to find that this was totally different & much better. I didnā€™t think it was amazing, but I did enjoy it.
Hmm, the herb thingā€¦ wasnā€™t too sure about that either. Also, he spends most of the film getting the snot kicked out of him & then later beats the crap out of a bunch of guys in about 3 seconds flat, what was that about? Anyway, pretty small gripesā€¦ it was a good film.

I also love this flick. It is #5 in my Top 20.

I really like Duccio Tessariā€™s ā€œensembleā€ cast, largely the same one he used in A Pistol for Ringo and itā€™s probably Antonio Casasā€™ best performance.

The photography and direction are top-notch.

In the trailer we see a dead Mexican lying in the street in his white socks, his empty boots upright nearby. There was supposedly a cut scene in which Montgomery Brown actually shoots him out of his boots. I would have liked to have seen that if it was well doneā€¦

I think Gemma did a good job depicting a Spaghetti hero conquering his paralyzing fear and finally moving against the interlopers.

5 stars without question for me.

ā€œBecause we are fearless menā€¦ā€

Probably my favourite spaghetti song.

Saw this yesterday on the big screen at my local cinemateque. It was a good old 35mm print with finnish and swedish subtitles. Great film.

Ditto.

I recently re-watched it and yes it is a solid movie and I do prefer it to the Pistol for Ringo.

Finally view this one, this time in the comfort of home.

Actually Iā€™ve already kind of seen it, but it was a French version of the film a long time ago.
For me in technical and pure cinematographic terms this one is even better than the first Ringo film, with the exception of the end which I didnā€™t like it, but for some reason I still prefer the first one, maybe because I liked Ringo already as Ringo, not as a Union soldier returning home (why not Southern, New Mexico fight with the Confederates, he must have change sides in the middle of the war, like he explained in the first film).
In cinematographic terms its better than A pistol for Ringo, the first church scene is quite good, among the best ones in genre, also liked the way he filmed Gemma (sometimes Gemma looked like Charlton Heston, with that beard) in his solo scenes the one with the several colours pretty good in visual terms.
At the beginning is quite strange to have the same actors from the first film in different parts, but after a while itā€™s just of non importance, also the fact of having this time the Mexicans in a power position was also something I took notice, not so normal. The female characters are not so strong this time, but Nieves Navarro looks more beautiful than ever (a flamenco dance, and her with the Union hat on, pretty cool), pending the more important female role for her, almost in a exclusive way.
Gemma must have been a role model for other SW actors that appeared later (Eastman comes to mind), and his perfect as Ringo, even the Miosotis character played by Manuel MuƱiz isnā€™t too intrusive.
There are the ā€œI donā€™t believe thisā€, normal to SW that only inquisitorial guys like me tent to notice, having Gemma going up on rope only with one hand is spider-man stuff, I wonā€™t bore you with machine guns historical facts, but when the peons turn the machine gun to other side holding it by the barrels, believe me if anyone does that without arm protection would start to scream in pain, that shit is hot and mean hot after a few rounds, also didnā€™t like it all those guys falling from high places, I know the higher positions are the better ones, but seemed too much fallings for one shoot out. About the ending I think it was to abrupt with Navarro going out on the donkey almost Kinski style in Un genioā€¦ and we never get to know what happened for Gemma to became a cynical bounty hunter did he divorce (shit Iā€™m sounding like my wife), maybe an in between sequel might had solved that.
In the overall both Ringo films are quite good SW among the best, this my be even a better film than the first one but for personal taste reasons I liked a little bit more the first one, but both films are quite good. Up to my top 20 thatā€™s for sure.

P.S. Not the best Morricone Soundtrack even with a great main theme

Hi, El Topo!

Enjoyed your comments about this film.
But, just wanted to point out a few historical thingsā€¦just for fun.
New Mexico wasnā€™t an official State in the United States until 1912. Long after the Civil War was over, obviously.
People from New Mexico territory fought for any side they wanted to during the War. The same was true for Arizona territory (which also did not become a State until 1912).
Even in Texas, which was a State and technically considered part of the (Southern) Confederacy, there were people that fought for the North during the Civil War.
Not important information, really; I just wanted to share these facts with you, amigo.

I enjoyed your comment about the machine gun, by the way! ha ha! You are right!

I, too, like both Ringo films very much. But, RETURN OF RINGO wins out as my most favorite of the two.

[quote=ā€œChris_Casey, post:72, topic:1509ā€]Hi, El Topo!

Enjoyed your comments about this film.
But, just wanted to point out a few historical thingsā€¦just for fun.
New Mexico wasnā€™t an official State in the United States until 1912. Long after the Civil War was over, obviously.
People from New Mexico territory fought for any side they wanted to during the War. The same was true for Arizona territory (which also did not become a State until 1912).
Even in Texas, which was a State and technically considered part of the (Southern) Confederacy, there were people that fought for the North during the Civil War.
Not important information, really; I just wanted to share these facts with you, amigo.

I enjoyed your comment about the machine gun, by the way! ha ha! You are right!

I, too, like both Ringo films very much. But, RETURN OF RINGO wins out as my most favorite of the two.[/quote]

Yes Texas and all the western frontier was a secondary front during the civil war with people taking and fighting for both sides, although Texas officially fight for the Confederate side (there where Texas regiments in Gettysburg battle for instance) , but thanks for the correction mate, and I didnā€™t had a clue that New Mexico was officially a state only in 1912, always learning.

After the great impression that the first Ringo made on me I sat to watch this one today and found it also great. I think itā€™s good that it went in the opposite direction, it allows both Ringo movies to be perfect examples of the two more usual directions of Spaghettis: comic book-like over the top action, with tongue firmly in cheek almost bordering parody and atmospheric, dark melodrama. I still donā€™t know which one of both I like more since theyā€™re so different that I think they complement each other rather well and chosing one or the other would have more to do with the particular mood of the moment than any of them being better than the other.
This one had better soundtrack and much more impressive camera work, thatā€™s for sure. Still, itā€™s pretty much a tie for me and both certainly belong in my personal top 20.

[quote=ā€œcochino, post:74, topic:1509ā€]After the great impression that the first Ringo made on me I sat to watch this one today and found it also great. I think itā€™s good that it went in the opposite direction, it allows both Ringo movies to be perfect examples of the two more usual directions of Spaghettis: comic book-like over the top action, with tongue firmly in cheek almost bordering parody and atmospheric, dark melodrama. I still donā€™t know which one of both I like more since theyā€™re so different that I think they complement each other rather well and chosing one or the other would have more to do with the particular mood of the moment than any of them being better than the other.
This one had better soundtrack and much more impressive camera work, thatā€™s for sure. Still, itā€™s pretty much a tie for me and both certainly belong in my personal top 20.[/quote]

Pistol for Ringo is a comedy western that works very well for me, although iĀ“m not very fond of comedy westerns -
they usually settle down somewhere at the bottom of my list - but Ringo is exception
still, i like Return a lot more, although some things are unintentionally laughable

Pistol for Ringo is not a comedy western.

i had a good laugh with Pistol for Ringo, for me it is a comedy western

Itā€™s not all out comedy like the Trinity movies but itā€™s got a lot of funny stuff mixed with some more serious things like the execution of the peasants. Iā€™d agree with Tomas and say is more of a comedy than a drama.

I found it good, but for me something is missing. The atmosphere is great, truly remarkable, but I guess I donā€™t like those spaghettis made before 1966.
The ending wasnā€™t satisfying and there was cheaply-looking machine gun that spoils a bit this exceptional climax. Nevertheless definitely
Iā€™d give 4 stars for a script, very nice soundtrack (the opening theme is particularly impressive) and really good cast, although Iā€™ve got an impression that George Martin should be replaced by someone elseā€¦
Not on my top 20 but this is the must-see movie even for those, who are just a little interested in spaghettis. Highly recommended to all. 8)

next to Mercenario my favorite Non-Leone-Spaghetti-western. great cast, nice story and one of the most awesome soundtracks I know. especially the carriage-scene is wonderful, the power and tragedy of Ringos whole revenge is culminating at this moment =)