The Return of Ringo / Il ritorno di Ringo (Duccio Tessari, 1965)

Definitely a top choice in the genre. I am a big fan of Gemma and this is one of his best.

I liked this one. Who wouldnā€™t. I found the slow pace easy to view and captivating. The situation for our hero does seem absolutely hopeless and I give Tessari the credits for that part. The finale is a lot like the entire film of Pistol for Ringo.

Damn, I probably wouldnā€™t have spent 50 bucks on the SPO version had I known the Koch version would come out a couple years later.

Another great movie. To me, Guiliano Gemma was always gifted with some of the best roles the genre had to offer. It seems a lot of people dislike him because of his look. That never bothered me as the man was brimming with charisma. His few sword & sandal roles are good, too, especially his big role in GOLIATH & THE SINS OF BABYLON (1963). Gemma showed off a lot of athleticism in that movie and what was to come over the next year or two. I havenā€™t seen a truly bad movie by him yet, although I have yet to see TEX, LORD OF THE DEEP and that Bond style movie he did looks a bit dreary.

Gemma really showed that he is more than that ā€œpretty boyā€ charismatic actor - he showed a depth I hadnā€™t seen before, and really conveyed his characterā€™s sense of loss on his return from the war.

Exactly. His ā€œpretty boyā€ look never bothered me as I thought he had enough charisma and athleticism to make up for his lack of the typical SW hero look. He did sport a ā€œdirtyā€ look in one or two other movies. One that comes to mind right now is THE LONG DAYS OF VENGEANCE. At least he did for the first 20 to 30 minutes.

For me one of the true sw greats featuring in a few of the very best of this genre!

Iā€™m just thankful that the likes of Tom Cruise or Leonardo Di Caprio arenā€™t of the same generation. ;D

The mere mention of these names makes me want to view a Spaghetti western.

:smiley:

One of Gemmaā€™s best, more serious SW films and much better than ā€œA Pistol for Ringo.ā€ At times, it seems almost like a horror/thriller (like 1% at times, haha, Iā€™m not saying itā€™s really like a horror/thriller film) because of music and Gemmaā€™s performanceā€¦ they really set a good atmosphere!

Definitely one of the best films of the genre. I canā€™t believe itā€™s still not our databaseā€™s top20.

I imagine Phil must be quite gratified that his film is getting the recognition it deserves all of a sudden! :slight_smile:

Very very well done thoughā€¦a fine example of a SW I would show someone to break their misconceptions of the genre.

Well, itā€™s on the way ā€¦

Not yet, but it seems to be gaining ground.

Hi,

Yes, You are right, the sceen in the bar in the begginning of the film is cut 2-3 sek in the old SPO version, but it`s uncut in the re-release of
the film (SPO)

Tom,

[size=2] [font=arial][size=1]Prefer the film more than the first Ringo as more darker and like the build up. The Gemma character I find is more of a thinker aswell. The Morning Glory character and his gadgets are good to watch, aswell as the lawman who is a bit of a drunk. George Martin looks like he has his hair painted on. Classic score.[/size][/font]
[font=arial][size=1]Viewed the Japan special edition disc this time round.[/size][/font][/size]

[size=7]I agree[/size]

English subtitles at Subtitles Il ritorno di Ringo - subtitles english 1CD srt (eng)

[quote=ā€œkorano, post:23, topic:1509ā€][size=7]I agree[/size][/quote]
Thatā€™s fucking hilarious Korano
! Check the fonts again Ennioo.

As for the movie, I finally got around to viewing this one & what can I say. One of the most dramatic & touching swā€™s ever. Great cast & story (I would not have picked up on the Odyssey angle if it was not mentioned). I did not need the shootouts & duels that are the norm in this great genre. I never found myself saying ā€˜when will the action kick inā€™ & that says a lot about this classic. Even going in with high expectations, I was still more than pleased. Say what some will about Guiliano Gemma but few could pull off this role like him. His innocence makes his character seem so believable 7 the supporting cast does not disappoint. I guess Iā€™ll have to adjust my top 20 list again.

saw this last night and this goes straight into the top 20 at number 3. A fine and gripping spaghetti western one of the best of the genre with a good performance, proberly his best from Giuliano Gemma and another fine musical score from the maestro Ennio Morricone. Film has a serious tone, most of the way, has moments of violence and even manages to be moving at times.Easily Gemmaā€™s best film.