The Pitiless Three / El sabor de la venganza (Joaquín Luis Romero Marchent, 1963)

Couldn’t find a thread of this movie
Maybe I overlooked it, there’s some confusion about the movie’s title. In Italian it’s called I Tre Spietati . Alternative English titles are Gunfight at High Noon (which makes no sense at all), The Three Ruthless Ones, and Sons of Vengeance.

Watched it last night and was pleasantly surprised.
It’s way, way better than that other early SW starring Richard Harrison I reviewed the other day, the immensely successful (but rather poor) $10.000 for Ringo.
It’s - so I found out - generally considered to be one of the best early SWs as well as - more in general - one of the best Spanish westerns.
It has indeed the feel of a Spanish western, but Grimaldi co-produced, and some Italian elements start shining through.
Giusti thinks the next western Marchent and Grimalde did, I Sette del Texas/Antes llega la Muerte, is even better (never seen it)

It won’t make anybody’s Top 20, but it’s remarkably interesting
Recommended for those interested in early SWs
The version on CG is bilingual (English/Spanish) and of fairly good quality (it runs 95 minutes)

Review coming up

For more info visit:
Database page: Sabor de la venganza, El - The Spaghetti Western Database (spaghetti-western.net)

Give Gunfight at High Noon your rating out of five stars!

0 voters

Liked the way all the sons are a bit different. Hundar and Harrison at the other ends of the spectrum, and the other one sort of in the middle most of the time. The mother does the bitter part well, which is her downfall in the end though. Fernando Sancho provides some light touches. Not bad at all if you enjoy the earlier ones.

Nice touch: the mother is five years younger than two of her sons!

Meet the gang coz’ the boys are here …The boys to entertain you:

[size=12pt]https://www.spaghetti-western.net/index.php/The_Pitiless_Three_Review[/size]

One of the best of the pre Leone ‘early ones’ in my opinion. I always think of it as Gunfight at High Noon, which makes no sense as a title of course but is what I’m used to.

Oddly, I’ve just been reading about it in Kevin Grant’s book.

Can anyone please tell from where to download this movie (The Pitiless Three)

This is absolutely one of my favorite pre-Leone films.
In fact, it is one of my favorite Westerns, of any type.
The only weak point in the film, for me, is the “rodeo” song.
Otherwise it is a solid little film.
I also think of it as GUNFIGHT AT HIGH NOON or EL SABOR DE LA VENGANZA (the title by which Aldo Sanbrell used to refer to the film in our discussions).
I still have my fingers crossed that someone will issue a quality DVD of this title!

Sorry, monsur1948, I have no idea where you might be able to download this one.

For an early euro spag. western, this is a good one. I really enjoyed watching it. :smiley:

It seems that you watched the movie. How could you get it. I searched every where with no luck. If some one could help me out.

i got it from a merchant at ioffer.com, hope this helps monsur1948.

i also got my copy from i offer. i quite liked it , interesting early spaghetti western with a plot that of course has been done many times , but it’s done compentley here.Early role for Fernando Sanchez and he is not the bad guy here. With a title like that i was expecting a gunfight between the brothers but surprisingly you don’t get it. There are plenty worse than this. 6/10

Just re viewed this one again. It still holds up for me. Its the way the mother is so bitter, and the different attitudes the sons adopt to the situation that keeps me watching. Harrison in probably his best early western, but he does raise his voice a bit at times in a passionate way though.

Hi everybody !
I read in your review that Raf Baldassare played in this movie. Are you sure ? I didn’t remember of him in this story, and when I go on database like imdb.com, they do not mention him…

I was just thinking the other day what titles were inspiration for Tarantino’s Hateful Eight and I have remembered these:

• Cut-Throats Nine
  • The Ruthless Four
  • The Unholy Four
    (I’ve decided to not count 4 of the apocalypse and similar titles that don’t have number at the end of the title).

I haven’t heard of this movie before.

The Magnificent Seven ?

Even non western titles maybe. Not saying it because I’ve recently seen it but Devil’s Eight sprung into my head.

Yes, definitely that one off-course.

I expect it to be something between Magnificent 7 and Cut-throats 9 ;D

Watched the Wild East-release of this one last night. U. S. style western this one so not up my alley at all. Boring score aswell.

There are two punchable characters in this movie.

One is Richard Harrison who plays a character with maybe just too much respect for the law. He mentions is about a billion times in the movie so must be so (He will have a fair trial, and THEN we’ll hang him… ). He’s got some seriously bad lines.

The other is Fernando Sancho who does play a good character for once, but after a scene where he drags a pig by it’s one foot in a rope and slaps it repeatedly across the head I lost all respect for him and really hoped he would come to a bad end. I have no qualms with blood en masse, but real violence makes me queasy. Yuck. Surprised no one else noticed this.

Recommended if you like the early boring spaghettis with almost no taste of Italy at all.

[quote=“Søren, post:18, topic:2758”]Watched the Wild East-release of this one last night. U. S. style western this one so not up my alley at all. Boring score aswell.

There are two punchable characters in this movie.

One is Richard Harrison who plays a character with maybe just too much respect for the law. He mentions is about a billion times in the movie so must be so (He will have a fair trial, and THEN we’ll hang him… ). He’s got some seriously bad lines.

The other is Fernando Sancho who does play a good character for once, but after a scene where he drags a pig by it’s one foot in a rope and slaps it repeatedly across the head I lost all respect for him and really hoped he would come to a bad end. I have no qualms with blood en masse, but real violence makes me queasy. Yuck. Surprised no one else noticed this.

Recommended if you like the early boring spaghettis with almost no taste of Italy at all.[/quote]

I had completely different ideas when I watched and reviewed the movie.
Don’t remember this scene with Sancho dragging a pig, and I haven’t mentioned it in the review. I must have overlooked it because it’s a thing I strongly dislike

My opinion of course, I respect that others may view it differently. But damn Richard Harrisons character in this one is sub one-dimensional.