The Non Spaghetti Western Blu Ray Thread

The Great Northfield Minnesota Raid is out (or coming out) in Denmark. I enjoyed this one when I saw it a while back and in my eyes warrants selling my old DVD and upgrading to the Blu.

What do you guys prefer for the “Grindhouse” features Death Proof and Planet Terror? The individual blu ray releases or the one packaged as “Grindhouse” and features both films with the theatrical cuts, and plays all the trailers and whatnot just like the theatrical release?

I know the individual releases feature the extended cuts of the film, with particularly Death Proof having a lot of extra scenes included. But from what I’ve read (not a lot), Tarantino likes both cuts and did the theatrical cut himself with specific intention.

I realize that the packaging as the Grindhouse feature is basically gimmicky, and usually I’d always prefer the extended cuts, but in this case I do like the idea of watching the films back to back, with all the trailers and everything just like it was in the theatre. Plus sometimes any more I prefer a cut down film if the shorter cut works well. I’m not familiar enough with the different cuts to really know the differences at this point though.

Maybe I’ll end up getting the Grindhouse release and the individual blu rays. Already have the extended versions on DVD.

I guess its better to get the individuals, but see if you can get a good price on it, as the double feature is might be better value, although I haven’t checked the prices yet.

The double feature is $15 on Amazon and the individuals are both $10.65. I’m not so much concerned about the price so long as they aren’t really high (they’re not).

I’ll probably end up getting both, cause I’m a sucker and for some reason really like the idea of watching the full theatrical double feature, although I wonder about the compression quality on the double vs individuals- haven’t checked yet. And honestly, the last time I watched Death Proof it just seemed too long with the additional 40 minutes.

Also just read that the individual release blu rays do not contain the fake trailers shown with the films for the theatrical run, so that alone will probably lead me to get the Grindhouse set. Watching it all together was pretty fun

Just ordered the UK Second Sight steelbook release of The Basket Case Trilogy on blu ray.

All 3 films in new transfers supervised by Henenlotter.

I didn’t even realize there were two sequels to Basket Case, let alone an incredible release like this

Extras:
. Audio commentary with director Frank Henenlotter, producer Edgar Ievins, actress Beverly Bonner, and filmmaker Scooter McRae
. What’s in the Basket? (78:34, HD)
. Introduction by director Frank Henenlotter (2:26, HD)
. In Search of the Hotel Breslin (15:29, HD)
. Grisly Graham Humphries (19:11, HD)
. Gabe’s Tour of Altanic West Effects (6:34, HD)
. Outtakes (6:14, HD)
. Trailers (x2) (1:00 & 1:22, HD)
. Radio Spots (1:43)
. Galleries: Behind the Scenes (1:53) / Promotional Material (2:38) / Stills (2:20)

Oh… I also just realized I maybe mis-read the title of this topic. If its meant for western blu rays that are not spaghettis, sorry about that and my posts can be deleted

Autephx, yeah, it was supposed to be for Westerns that aren’t spaghetti’s. But truth be told it’s my fault for not wording it properly.

Well, that topic is of course more suited to this forum. So feel free to delete my posts so the thread can serve its intended purpose.

[quote=“autephex, post:2, topic:3207”]What do you guys prefer for the “Grindhouse” features Death Proof and Planet Terror? The individual blu ray releases or the one packaged as “Grindhouse” and features both films with the theatrical cuts, and plays all the trailers and whatnot just like the theatrical release?

I know the individual releases feature the extended cuts of the film, with particularly Death Proof having a lot of extra scenes included. But from what I’ve read (not a lot), Tarantino likes both cuts and did the theatrical cut himself with specific intention.

I realize that the packaging as the Grindhouse feature is basically gimmicky, and usually I’d always prefer the extended cuts, but in this case I do like the idea of watching the films back to back, with all the trailers and everything just like it was in the theatre. Plus sometimes any more I prefer a cut down film if the shorter cut works well. I’m not familiar enough with the different cuts to really know the differences at this point though.

Maybe I’ll end up getting the Grindhouse release and the individual blu rays. Already have the extended versions on DVD.[/quote]

I tend generally to prefer extended cuts of movies (although I’m not too bothered if for instance a UK release of something has been subjected to, say, 12 seconds of cuts. I’m not that bothered) but in the very specific case of Grindhouse I prefer to think of it as one movie experience as originally envisioned by the filmmakers: The fake Machete trailer, Planet Terror, the fake trailers for Werewolf Women of the SS, Don’t and Thanksgiving, and the shorter version of Death Proof. I’ve got Grindhouse on blu-ray and that’s how I think of it: As one movie. In fact, although I enjoy the criminally underrated Death Proof in any guise, I somewhat illogically find Planet Terror a bit of a chore to sit through UNLESS it’s as part of the wider Grindhouse experience. Strange (and sad) but true.

Yeah, if I hadn’t seen Grindhouse at the theatre, I may feel differently about it as would never have seen the films any other way. But it really works well as one package that all interplays. It was all made to be shown together and there are cross-references, and its just a more fun viewing experience that way

Gonna buy a blu-ray player tomorrow.

I’m not going to upgrade my dvd collection, but I am looking for some cool, cheap releases in the sleaze/euro trash/exploitation department. Kinda like the spaghettis that Mill Creek released on blu (those 2 I just ordered for $12.50 incl. shipping).

Any recommendations? (Region 0 or 2)

I just bought the Canadian Alliance Blu Ray double feature release of Kill Bill 1 and 2. It was only 10 bucks so quite the bargain. But the problem is that it is both films on a single BD50! I’ve heard online that the there is no drastic drop in PQ despite the compression. But there is also no english subs and no extras. No wonder it was so cheap. I was probably better off getting the individual releases but oh well.

Most of the blu rays I’ve been looking into under those genres aren’t really budget releases… a lot of them are getting some of the best blu ray treatment around really

But many fall within the $7-13 price range, which isn’t too bad.

Lots of stuff from Synapse and Blue Underground

The key I’ve seen on a lot of these is to create a wishlist on Amazon and then monitor the prices regular… I see a lot of these discs increasing & decreasing up to 2x in price on a seemingly random basis. So if you wait a bit, a better deal can be had many times.

I wasn’t planning on upgrading most of my collection until I actually saw the level of difference between a proper blu ray and prior DVDs, which is really substantial, particularly with these more obscure genre titles that receive new transfers with current 4K technology and whatnot

Auto, I do exactly what you do. I have a huge amazon wishlist and I notice prices fluctuate sometimes quite drastically. I also check the prices of amazon marketplace, sometimes you get a good deal from a seller. Amazon canada tends to be on the short end of the stick when it comes to prices though.

The good news is Barnes and Nobles had a criterion sale recently and I got Yojimbo/Sanjuro and Seven Samurai on blu ray for quite a good price, even if I had to pay for shipping and taxes.

Thanks for the tips.

I’m only buying a blu-ray player, because the DVD player quit on me. When looking at the small price difference between DVD and blu-ray players, it makes little sense to buy a DVD player. Only problem is the different region discs I have (mainly region 1), but I’m able to play those on my laptop, which is connected to my tv.

Going with the Sony BDP-S1100 for €58. Looks like a good one, with a bunch of extra options. Reviews are overall positive.

I’m going to need a new bluray player soon because the remote sensor on the one I have stopped working so I have no remote access, which severely limits the functionality.

It was a cheapie player, and like my past cheapie DVD players, would play all regions of discs. Seems like the higher end ones tend to limit region access more for some reason.

If anyone has recommendations for decently priced all region blu ray players, would like to hear them

[quote=“Bad Lieutenant, post:12, topic:3207”]Gonna buy a blu-ray player tomorrow.

I’m not going to upgrade my dvd collection, but I am looking for some cool, cheap releases in the sleaze/euro trash/exploitation department. Kinda like the spaghettis that Mill Creek released on blu (those 2 I just ordered for $12.50 incl. shipping).

Any recommendations? (Region 0 or 2)[/quote]

Massage Parlour Murders probably fits the bill.

Thanks, that indeed looks like my cup of tea. I think I’ll buy Thou Shalt Not Kill…Except too. Had it on VHS once and remember loving it. Looking forward to seeing the blu-ray treatment of that one.

Anyway, I bought the player. For testing purposes I went for a disc in the bargain bin (as the store didn’t have any cool stuff I don’t already have on DVD). Bought Dylan Dog steel case for €5. The main actor is pretty bad, story is all over the place and there’s not much memorable to it 5/10.

I have a question about playing 4:3 dvd’s. My player seems to upscale (?) them to 16:9. I found no way of fixing this, which is pretty damn annoying. It even ‘overrules’ the tv in regards to ar. Anybody know a solution?

Most players I’ve used have a setup screen accessed without any disc in the player, where you can specify the display aspect ratio. Usually a setup button on the remote which will take you do the player settings and then tab through till the video/TV settings. If it doesn’t have an option like this, then I dunno