The Music of Ennio Morricone

Today’s press release with details:

Morricone Segreto will be released in a special Collector’s Edition on December 4th.

The box will include

• The double LP in an exclusive transparent yellow printing;

• An alternate cover portraying the Maestro within the walls of his villa in Mentana, while he devotes himself to his greatest passions: music, obviously - and chess;

• A special one-sided 7" single including an extraordinary sound document of the Maestro Morricone and his musicians in studio during their recording sessions, preparing themselves, talking and giggling between takes. A little behind the scenes extract from the original reels of the soundtracks included in the Morricone Segreto preserved for decades into the CAM Sugar archives;

• A 60x90 cm poster with a halftone screen photography of the Maestro and, on the back, a comprehensive in-depth focus on every track included on the album, with stories and anecdotes about the soundtracks and films.

1 Like

Celebrating Ennio Morricone: The Secrets Behind His Genius, a new documentary by Pierpaolo De Sanctis and Ruggero Longoni, with English subtitles –

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nke7uVphBw8

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing this. Really enjoyed it

1 Like

finally finished reading and reviewing this

5 Likes

Excellent review - has convinced me I need to read this. Sounds more interesting and valuable than a biography, with its focus on the art more than the life.

1 Like

https://www.spaghetti-western.net/index.php/Ennio_Morricone,_Original_soundtracks_1964-2015

1 Like

I’d love to have been at this beautiful homage to ‘Il Maestro’ last month…

Did anyone from ‘SWDB’ attend?

3 Likes

I have a random observation to share. Over the past three or four years or so, I can’t count the number of commercials here in the U.S. that uses Morricone’s music. Maybe due to the fact that he regained the rights to several of his scores in court back in 2019?

Regardless, the number of commercials using his music has absolutely exploded. Just now, a commercial came on that I hadn’t seen before with a young lawyer waiting for an interview at a firm. She looks up to see a painting of the four partners on the wall and begins to panic until she uses some app on her phone which tells her how much salary (given her experience, education, etc.) she should be asking for (at least I think that was what was going on). She’s then called in for her interview and a look of confidence spreads across her face as the main title of The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly plays.

While I applaud people being exposed to his music, I also can’t help but observe that someone is making a small fortune. Even in the time it has taken me to write this, another commercial for Modelo beer which has been around for a while now, has come on with “The Ecstasy of Gold” as it’s background music.

Don’t get me wrong, I am not complaining…it is just kind of crazy. :laughing:

2 Likes

Even Leone did an advert in the 80s using ‘The Ecstasy of Gold’, … kinda odd, but you can’t keep a good tune down :wink:

3 Likes

That’s pretty cool! I’d never seen that before. If only Blondie and Tuco had elephants that would have been a much different scene. :wink:

2 Likes

I was wondering today as it is the day that Leone died. He was busy with a new film project about “Leningrad: The 900 Days”. Does anyone know if Morricone was working on the music for this movie as well? Just curious as i could not find anything about this from Morricone’s side.
I can not imagine that he would not be involved. But maybe Leone was still premature with his film plans

1 Like

Morricone could compose some nice pop tunes as well, these two also belong to films btw.

1 Like
1 Like

My father is a huge fan of Ennio Morricone as he showed me up westerns movies when I was 7 years old with his wonderful music… he has many CD from him and near my teenage age I started to buy many of them and especially on iTunes where there are many of his albums I’m still listening to in my player :slight_smile: his music contributed a lot for many spaghetti westerns like Sergio Leone’s but also Sergio Corbucci’s Films and many other directors, my father calls him “Maestro”

3 Likes