The Music of Ennio Morricone

I’m going to Morricone concert day after tomorrow. I’m so happy about it, one of my dreams comes true :slight_smile:

Have a nice time, i’m envious, he came to England a couple of years ago but i found out too late.

Thanks, i certainly will. I have to travel about 500 kilometers to see the concert but what the hell, it’s Morricone :slight_smile:

Got back from the concert today and i have to say that there were some unfortunate things that made me enjoy that one a little bit less enjoyable that it should be. First of all it was a free concerts so there was a lot of people making noise and it was difficult to concentrate on music. Also it would be better if they would use some better amplifing system cuz it was sometimes difficult to hear everything clearly. However, the first part of the concert included a new composition dedicated to pope John Paul II and some pieces from the movies about it. They were ok but the 2nd part included some more widly known compositions and that’s the part i was waiting for. No spaghetti songs unfotunately, but he played some great stuff like themes from ‘once upon a time in america’, ‘casualities of war’ or ‘the mission’. I can post some photos my friend took if you like me to :slight_smile:

Just to add one thing. Although Morricone is probably the most original movie composer there ever was, I can’t help but notice that his opening credits score for “A Fistful of Dollars” is very similar in tune to “(Ghost) Riders in the Sky: A Cowboy Legend”, written by Stan Jones in 1949. The Ramrods 1960 version sounds very Spaghetti like. Anybody else notice this?

Someone made a youtube video of the ramrods version. Its very SW like, and it came out in 1960:

Compare the melody to the opening theme of Fistful of Dollars:

Maybe its just me, but I notice a very strong resemblance between the two songs

hehe, here’s another version of Ghostriders by Impaled Nazarene.

[quote=“mrchallenge, post:26, topic:286”]Someone made a youtube video of the ramrods version. Its very SW like, and it came out in 1960:

Compare the melody to the opening theme of Fistful of Dollars:

Maybe its just me, but I notice a very strong resemblance between the two songs[/quote]

Yeah, there is a little resemblance. Both songs are in the key of Dminor, and both share melodic phrasing…without any duplication, though. “Ghost Riders (in the Sky)” was definitely an inspiration for Morricone’s “Titoli” from “Fistful of Dollars”.

Most of you may already be aware of this, so forgive me if I am repeating old news. But, Morricone was heavily influenced by some late 50’s and early 60’s instrumental groups (and individuals) such as The Ventures, Duane Eddy, and so forth. He was influenced by such performers so much so that he was a member of an instrumental combo called The Electronic Men (can’t recall the precise Italian name of this group, at the moment…but, that is what the name translates to). This group also featured Luis Bacalov, Alessandro Alessandroni, and others who later found work scoring Spaghetti Westerns.

In addition to The Ramrods version of “Ghost Riders…”, you should check out the Lively Ones’ version of the “Theme from Exodus”! That really sounds like a theme from a Spaghetti Western!

I also heard he was a member of ensemble called Gruppo di Improvvisazione Nuovo Consonanza, anyone heard their music?

Correct! I have not heard any of their music, though. I have been looking for ages.

That’s the one you’ve been talking about? Sounds great! Ennio Morricone, Luis Bacalov and Alessandro Alessandroni in one band! For me it sounds like the best band ever!

No, Gruppo di Improvvisazione Nuovo Consonanza is a seperate musical group from The Electronic Men. The Electronic Men is the group with Alessandroni, Bacalov, Morricone, and so forth. I was just saying that you were correct about Morricone belonging to Gruppo di Improvvisazione Nuovo Consonanza (which was apparently a sort of jazz group).

I’ve heard the music by The Electronic Men (thanks to Jim Wynorski) and it is very much like the music of The Ventures or The Shadows (they did a cover of the Ventures’ tune “Walk Don’t Run” on their only album).

Oh, and speaking of The Shadows…their influence on Ennio Morricone is quite obvious. Compare Morricone’s main title theme for “The Sicilian Clan” with the Shadows’ song “Man of Mystery”. Very much alike!

As for Gruppo di Improvvisazione Nuovo Consonanza----I have no clue as to what their music was like.

I would love to hear some of it, though!

Just picked up the 21 track GDM release to the score to THE GOOD, THE BAD AND THE UGLY which of course is great.

The GDM release has the same amount of tracks as the Capitol extended issue, but there are a few variants, which is explained here:

There is still more music in the film that has never been offically issued, and whether more complete master tapes exist I do not know ?
There is of cousre more music available in illegal bootleg editions, which depending on source material I hope gets an official release in the future.

Going to pick that up soon to to replace my old 11-track cd. Where did you pick up yours and at what price?

Am also looking for the best (cheapest!) place to pick the other Morricone soundtracks to Leone’s westerns in particularly the 2cd soundtrack to Giu la testa

[quote=“AvatarDK, post:34, topic:286”]Going to pick that up soon to to replace my old 11-track cd. Where did you pick up yours and at what price?

Am also looking for the best (cheapest!) place to pick the other Morricone soundtracks to Leone’s westerns in particularly the 2cd soundtrack to Giu la testa[/quote]

I traded this item with a friend for a Sonny and Jed poster he wanted from me.

Too bad.

By the way you shouldn’t trade away your spaghetti stuff unless you got spares.

[quote=“AvatarDK, post:36, topic:286”]Too bad.

By the way you shouldn’t trade away your spaghetti stuff unless you got spares.[/quote]

Yes I agree, and this was a duplicate I had, as I had upgraded to a better condition poster.

I am going to get the extended Japan issue of the Vamos A Mater Companeros next though.

This edition:

This is the most complete version of the score so far.

OK, you are excused then :slight_smile:

Uh, that’s the version I want too then when I finally get around to it. Thanks for the info.

Just curious what people think about Hugo Montenegro’s arrangements to the ’ Dollar’ tracks … ?

His arrangement of the main theme from The Good, the Bad and the Ugly, was a No.1 Hit here in the U.K. in the 60’s.

Yes I have heard Montenegro’s version of GBU, it’s a nice version, more like a pop-song!