The Mercenary / A Professional Gun / Il mercenario (Sergio Corbucci, 1968)

Totally agree, and yet she remains underused in the film

How many times has Franco used a variation of this statement in interviews ? I’ve heard him say it at least 4 or 5 times :laughing:

6 Likes

Giovanna Ralli, “the most beautiful and determined of all possible revolutionaries” (Leibniz), turned 86 two days ago, on January 2.

6 Likes

Home movie footage of the filming …

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKffNhB9Z_c

This movie’s page in the SWDb has been upgraded to the new “SWDb 3.0” format. Please have a look and let us know if there’s something you can add (information, trivia, links, pictures, etc.).
In particular, we need an alternative, shorter synopsis.

Poll added (top of page).

Copied from SWDb General Maintenance:

2 Likes

Credit page has been added…

5 Likes

Could 'Curly Henchman 2 … at the circus, be a heavily disguised Marc Mazza ??? Food for thought :wink:

1 Like

Interesting! Certainly a resemblance :thinking:

Hm. Do you have pictures from other angles?

Judging by the screen capture I think it’s the guy also appearing in Any Gun Can Play and The Moment to Kill, see here.

2 Likes

Mercenary was shown in Finnish television friday. It is also in the net, but is probably georestricted.

1 Like

As I was reaching this classic, I noticed something odd in the lower left corner of the picture when Sergei leaves Roman’s hideout early in the film. He looks to be wearing a blue jacket and is clearly not one of Paco’s apostles. He must obviously be a crewman, walking in the frame, completely chill.

3 Likes

I can’t make out what we’re looking at in this pic … what is the precise time in the film? Thank you :wink:

1 Like

Sorry for the late reply. It is what I think is a crew member in the lower left corner of the frame. While I cannot check the time stamp right now, it happens when Sergei is leaving Paco´s hideout early in the morning (after “I don´t want anybody to feel sorry for me” and before Kowalski gets ambushed by Curly). I don´t know how easy it would be able to see on a non-HD picture.

2 Likes

Watched it last week end it an amazing western with Franco Nero, Jack Palance and Tony Musante
Enjoyed it a lot

4 Likes

There are two very similar scenes in this one and in Django (1966). Eduardo Fajardo and his gang are waiting in ambush in both films.

In Django they shoot down General Hugo and the other Mexicans. In The Mercenary however when they are about to shoot Paco, Kowalski intervenes and shoots Fajardo and his men. A bit like Nero shoots Fajardo on the graveyard at the end of Django.

1 Like

A Professional Gun is the films English title, right?

In America it was called The Mercenary?

I read somewhere that it was a success in America at the box office when it was released there in 1970.

But there was some American guy on this forum, who was around at the time, he saw Leone’s films in the theater. But he had never even heard of any of Corbuccis films in America around 1970.

Was The Mercenary a success in the US or was it just some obscure film who ran a short time?

For some reason the remaining (digital) evidence that we have points to mostly The Mercenary, but we have one poster with the other title, but you can’t discern whether that’s de-facto a UK poster

There are also lobby cards, I started adding some: Mercenario, Il/Pictures - The Spaghetti Western Database

2 Likes