The Mercenary / A Professional Gun / Il mercenario (Sergio Corbucci, 1968)

i used to have it and to be honest itā€™s a horrible print, i now have a Japanese dvd which is 2.35:1 :slight_smile:

The Japanese print is currently the only decent quality english audio available. Avoid all other copies!

Great film but not sure if it quite makes it into my Top 20, I much prefer ā€œCompanerosā€ (donā€™t shoot me itā€™s my Top 20!).

Funny scene where Franco Nero strikes a match on the seƱoritaā€™s breast, personally I didnā€™t think she looked that rough
:stuck_out_tongue:

i donā€™t know what i like best out of Mercenary and Companeros? itā€™s a hard one but iā€™d probably go for Companeros because it is Nero & Milian together, what a great team!

If only Milian had been cast as Paco in Il Mercenario! Tony Musante is OK but with Milian it would have been perfect. 2 great leads, Palance and Fajardo as the baddies, super Morricone score and a great storyline.

Itā€™s about time this one got a decent English audio DVD release. The Japanese release is OK but overpriced.

Yes the art of WHISTLING is taken to extreme heights in this film, totally brilliant but virtually impossible to copy. :slight_smile:

I think Musante is good too and I donā€™t mind that Milian wasnā€™t in the film.

There already are so many films with regular SW actors that I think itā€™s refreshing to see people who only did one or two films in this genre.

You have a point there for sure, I agree. Anyway, this is a great spaghetti with lots of great action, acting and great score. This movie makes me feel good everytime i watch it .
The funny thing: Neroā€™s characters name is Sergei, but thatā€™s a russian name not a polish one :slight_smile:

But Kowalski is polish, right?

Is there a name in polish that equals Sergei? For example in italian itā€™s Sergio if Iā€™m not mistaken.

Kowalski is polish thatā€™s for sure:)
I heard about name Sergiusz once, but itā€™s so rare in Poland that i only saw this one in the calendar :stuck_out_tongue:

Iā€™m pretty sure the title track, ā€œIl Mercenario,ā€ made into Kill Bill, maybe the second one. I think they play it when Black Mamba breaks out of the coffin after her ā€œTexas funeral,ā€ courtesy of Budd.

no itā€™s not the title track, itā€™s ā€œLā€™Arenaā€, when she gets out of the grave

[quote=ā€œSebastian, post:32, topic:177ā€]no itā€™s not the title track, itā€™s ā€œLā€™Arenaā€, when she gets out of the grave[/quote]Thatā€™s one of my favourite whistling tracks.

Well, the music is essentially the same. The whistling, etc. I knew I recognized it; just wasnā€™t sure of all the specifics. iTunes actually lists them as the same song in one place.

And I didnā€™t meant the title track to Kill Bill. I just assumed the song was the title track to the movie of the same name. Guess not.

shit, I just rewatched it (the jap dvd this time)ā€¦ damn, this flick is fucking awesome. the cinematography, the dialogue, the musicā€¦ and it has a showdown, then it continues the plot, then a goodbye, another goodbye and then another goodbye, keeping you on the edge of the seat till ā€œthe endā€ comes upā€¦ GREAT

I could only watch the duel in youtube, and itā€™s terrific good. The blood on the flowerā€¦ ;D

Il Mercenario is without doubt my favourite spaghetti western. It is indeed great!

Yep, one of the 4 best Spaghettis. Essential and highly influential.

Itā€™s not easy for me to accept that some people really prefer Companeros.

Yes, i agree ā€˜the mercenaryā€™ is definitely a better one in my opinion. Donā€™t get me wrong i love ā€˜companerosā€™ too :wink:

[quote=ā€œalk0, post:39, topic:177ā€]Yes, i agree ā€˜the mercenaryā€™ is definitely a better one in my opinion. Donā€™t get me wrong i love ā€˜companerosā€™ too ;)[/quote]I have near enough equal love for both of them and canā€™t make up my mind whatā€™s best.