The Magnificent Bandits / O’Cangaceiro (Giovanni Fago, 1969)

Those are all set in northern Mexico. Which is at least near enough to be called a Western.

But still not set in the west.

But Spain for example isn’t even near :-.

It has a desert. and in MPaV, it has broad brimmed hats, outlaws, and stagecoach robberies.

Yes, but IMO that doesn’t make it a Western.

Understand how you’re thinking though.

If our beloved genre was neat and tidy, it wouldn’t be half as much fun. Zapatas are westerns in my book, 3 Bullets for a Long Gun and …Lucky are spaghetti westerns (in everything but geography) despite being made in South Africa, El Tunco Maclovio and Taste of the Savage, similarly are so, despite being made in Mexico. Dag Kurdu isn’t a western but is spaghetti in feel, and references them. Deadlock isn’t a traditional western - set in more modern times - either, but looks and feels spaghetti. We’ve got the cartoon West and Soda in the mix as well. There’s space for all that feel spaghetti here I reckon, as well as with the Italian ones that don’t.
I haven’t seen O’C yet, but if it feels right, I reckon we should make room for it.

@Silence:
Just as long as you understand. I understand you’re thoughts too.

In my opinion the location is very important for a SW and for it’s status independently from it’s quality as movie, to be made in Spain is like a passport for a SW, comparit whit a wine for instance, if it’s made in the US we got an excelent crop a fantastic year, if it’s made in Spain it’s also a fine wine with all the flavor of a fine strong wine, if it’s made in Israel or other not so usual places (I wont refere names, I don’t wanna accused of countries descrimination for SW location ;)) it’s just a wine from a year that rain a lot in September, or like we say in Portugal Orange from the ground.
I not to strict in SW covarage for me Cangaçeiro it’s SW it was made by a Italian director, it got Milian (one of the iconic actor of the SW, just a diferent type of cowboys and a diferent time, and problaly it would’t have been made if it wasn’t for the sucess of SW at the time (also like Barquero or wild bunch, only possible cause of SW sucess)

For instance a movie like say Nikita Mikhalkov -Svoy sredi chuzhikh, chuzhoy sredi svoikh in English At Home Among Strangers, Stranger at Home, it happens in Russia no cowboys but it got the feeling of a western, civil war horse riding and so on.

Adeus camaradas

If O’ Cangaceiro would have been made in the 80s, I would most likely not call it a SW either.
It’s on the brink of the genre, but for me it belongs definitely to the bunch.

Hossein’s Taste of Death or Malle’s Viva Maria on the other hand are not westerns for me.

You’re right. And I think a film like Long Days of Vengeance could also have been made easily in another genre. Which I suppose it has…

Interesting! This scene is included on the French DVD which apparently is the same length as the Italian DVD.

HI EVERYONE
I FOUND SOME ONE ON EBAY SELLING A DVDR OF THIS FILM IN PORTUGUESE WITH ENGLISH SUBTITLES. IT IS 105 minutes long IS THIS A GOOD VERSION TO GET?

Uncut then I suppose.

[quote=“django live, post:53, topic:223”]HI EVERYONE
I FOUND SOME ONE ON EBAY SELLING A DVDR OF THIS FILM IN PORTUGUESE WITH ENGLISH SUBTITLES. IT IS 105 minutes long IS THIS A GOOD VERSION TO GET?[/quote]

Well, it would be nice to have Italian audio of course, but an uncut version of the film would be great to see. It would be good to know what the cuts are.

I just checked the ebay postig you mentioned. You should definitely check with the seller about this one.

Although they describe it as a 1970 Brazilian/Italian production, the plot synopsis is from the original 1953 Brazilian film and more importantly the running time listed of 105 is exactly that of the original 1953 film.

Reading these posts together makes me think that maybe the French DVD is actually uncut after all ???

The French DVD has beautiful picture quality.
The information in the database are not correct.
Audio is Italian. Subtitles are English and French.

Screenshots:

I have the French DVD. It does indeed have beautiful picture quality and I would wholeheartedly recommend.

However, it does not have English subtitles (unless they’re hidden, in which case I will check again).

The fan dvd r has the english subtitles.

[quote=“Novecento, post:59, topic:223”]I have the French DVD. It does indeed have beautiful picture quality and I would wholeheartedly recommend.

However, it does not have English subtitles (unless they’re hidden, in which case I will check again).[/quote]

I would have to check this again too
As far as I know there are only French subs (English subs are very rare on French discs)