The Last Western You Watched?

Watched L’Ultimo Pistolero. 8 minute b/w short with Franco Nero. Pretty crappy movie, about an old guy who walks around in an abandoned factory. I won’t spoil the ending, but I didn’t give a rat’s ass. Even for a movie that short it’s utterly boring. What’s even worse is that some beautiful Morricone music gets recycled and raped by a bunch of idiots who call themseves musicians. 3,5/10

Pretty fair description of the film. While I grant that it’s cool to see Nero in a Western costume again, I agree with your assessment…

Well watched Viva django with my girlfriend, she liked it at least she liked terence hill.
The music is great but i remember that i enjoyed it more the first time. But it has some django spirit and they even crush his hands too.

Also finished sabata, right now. Cool movie, because of Van Cleef, banjo and the alley cat. The fat guy is annoying and stengel looks a bit well, ahh gay :-X But i never had the feeling sabata is in danger and most of the stuff was pretty predictable. And the strange arrow sound(dont know how to describe it, when something that sabata planned works out ???) is stupid, besides the music is okay. The duells could be better. Maybe i had too heigh expectations, but it wont make it into my top 20. and what do the lyrics of the main title mean, anybody knows that?

[quote=“valenciano, post:1263, topic:141”]Well watched Viva django with my girlfriend, she liked it at least she liked terence hill.
The music is great but i remember that i enjoyed it more the first time. But it has some django spirit and they even crush his hands too.

Also finished sabata, right now. Cool movie, because of Van Cleef, banjo and the alley cat. The fat guy is annoying and stengel looks a bit well, ahh gay :-X But i never had the feeling sabata is in danger and most of the stuff was pretty predictable. And the strange arrow sound(dont know how to describe it, when something that sabata planned works out ???) is stupid, besides the music is okay. The duells could be better. Maybe i had too heigh expectations, but it wont make it into my top 20. and what do the lyrics of the main title mean, anybody knows that?[/quote]

Can’t help you with the lyrics, my friend, but I recommend a viewing of Adios, Sabata. It’s awesome.

“Hey buddy … it’s Sabata, it’s over now!”

Banjo is a great character…and the score to this movie is very enjoyable. I really enjoyed Sabata…

[quote=“Pacificador, post:1265, topic:141”]“Hey buddy … it’s Sabata, it’s over now!”

Banjo is a great character…and the score to this movie is very enjoyable. I really enjoyed Sabata…[/quote]
allright, that is alike to what the big guy allways says. It seems that alot of people enjoy sabata in this forum, what i have read so far.
But i just dont get how they had the ideas for the circus stuff, with alley cat and the beginning. very strange

I have always thought that Sabata is little overrated as well as first Sartana film. There’s something in Parolini’s films that I just don’t get. And of course, all that circus stuff… It looks like Italians were obsessed with circus in the early 70’s since so many sw’s from that period have something to do with it.

yes that is what i ment with the enthusiasm for sabata in this forum, its okay, but not more for me.
And i am confused with Sartana??? i think i have seen a Sartana film with klaus kinski being in prison most of the time. Sartana(i dont know the name of the actor, sorry) is dressed like sabata(with this cape like black thing that also everybody in viva django seems to be wearing)and has also strange pistols. So is Sartana inspired by Sabata, and who is the original Sartana???

Think your thinking about Price of Death with Garko and Kinski, but that aint a Sartana movie:
http://www.spaghetti-western.net/index.php/Venditore_di_morte%2C_Il

Kinski spends most of the time in prison in this one which doesn’t make his mood any better.

The original Sartana film was released in 1968, one year before Sabata and both films were directed by the same guy (Gianfranco Parolini) so it is pretty safe to say Sabata is based on Sartana to a certain degree. Especially as Parolini got the Sabata job based on his success with the original Sartana movie as I understand.

As for who was the first Sartana…Gianni Garko. The first and best.

[quote=“AvatarDK, post:1269, topic:141”]Think your thinking about Price of Death with Garko and Kinski, but that aint a Sartana movie:

Kinski spends most of the time in prison in this one which doesn’t make his mood any better.[/quote]
yes you are right, you see i am confused by all the guys wearing this strange cape-like thing. i think in this one it is worn by garko too. i liked this one a lot.
Thanks for the help guys

‘Uno di più all’inferno’

‘One More to Hell | To Hell and Back | Django - Melodie in Blei (Germany) | Full House for the Devil | O inferno para mais um (Portugal)’

Entertaining solid average stuff featuring George Hilton !!!

Jaime Jesús Balcázar: Four Dollars of Revenge[url]http://www.spaghetti-western.net/index.php/Cuatro_dólares_de_venganza[/url] (dvd-r)
-Good, above average film with Robert Woods. Plot had some similarities with Return of Ringo and even Robert Woods looks at times like clone of Gemma.

I saw James Mangold’s 3:10 TO YUMA with Russell Crowe and Christian Bale, yesterday. I really, really enjoyed it!!
It isn’t a perfect movie—but, I thought it was incredibly well done. This is, in my humble opinion, vastly better than most recent Westerns they’ve made. And, also in my humble opinion, this is vastly better than most recent Hollywood movies…PERIOD!!

I think I might go see it again…

I watched THE LAST SUNSET with Kirk Douglas, Rock Hudson and Dorothy Malone. Filmed in Mexico which gave it a SW feel. The story was pure American Western but it did have a surprise ending which you could figure out, about the same time as it was revealed. Great color print, good action and performances by the main actors, this one was new to me so it was worth the viewing time on Encore Westerns channel.

I saw 3:10 to Yuma last night, as well. It’s flawed, but enjoyable. In my opinion, not as good as Open Range, but still a fine film and one where you can see some spaghetti influences. Camera angles, lack of dialog in some scenes. In some scenes, there’s too much dialog.

The casting was wonderfully done, although I didn’t fee like Peter Fonda was too convincing in his role. The prancing peacock that played Charlie Prince nailed it, however. He was convincingly menacing and stole the last scene from Bale and Crowe. I could see him playing a lot of similar roles in the future. Maybe only Gary Oldman could have equaled his performance.

The writers did a good job of making you pull for Ben Wade, even though he was supposedly a heartless criminal. Of course, he turns out to not be quite so heartless, and you get the feeling early on (when he’s with the girl at the saloon) that maybe he’s not so keen on the outlaw life any longer. There’s plenty of foreshadowing on what’s to come.

Bale did a good job. His character is so pitifully weak at the beginning of the film I wanted to shoot him, which is exactly how they want you to feel about him.

I really like this one, Tom. Did you notice the editing in that near duel sequence between Hudson and Douglas by the arches? Pretty Leone like, eh? Just like the face off between Cooper and Lancaster at the end of another Aldrich Western, VERA CRUZ. We see the eyes, the hands above the guns…etc.
The more I watch…the more I believe that Robert Aldrich had quite an impact on his one-time 2nd unit director.

Also the town on the American side of the river was actually out over the water. That’s something you see in SWs. Bizzare buildings and towns not seen in most American westerns. That strange house (?) at the beginning of The Genius is an example.

Chris also the Douglas not having his gun loaded ala LVC in Death Rides a Horse. Douglas really has you pulling for him at the end but the surprise ending means it will only end one way.

“Posse” (1993)

A group of mostly black infantrymen return from the Spanish-American War with a cache of gold. They travel to the West where their leader searches for the men who lynched his father.

Entertaining action movie. Good story and cast

Watched: “Cat ballou” (nothing special), “All the pretty horses” (an ok modern western). Rewatched “Run man run” (in my top20 without doubt) and “The wild bunch” (liked it even better then the last time, a masterpiece).