The Last Western You Watched?

I like it. 8/10

These Val Lewton produced Horror films are all very good. Beautiful atmosphere.

[quote=“Stanton, post:6738, topic:141”]Truth is, I think that The Sand Pebbles is also a bit overblown Hollywood mainstream cinema.

From his 60s and 70s output I only really like his smaller films The Haunting and The Andromeda Strain. But The Hindenburg is also not bad for this kind of films.

Audrey Rose is a mediocre horror film, otherwise all his Horror films are very good.

Compared to other Hollywood directors he was a “realist”, and therefore worked best with smaller budgets and in b/w. But some of his older films have also slightly stiff and pretentious dialogues, like Executive Suite, an all-star film, or even a good one like Odds Against Tomorrow.

Generally an interesting director.[/quote]each to their own Stanton. how borong it would be if we all thought the same, i love the sand pebbles, a bit long but very good in my opinon. i also like Audrey Rose although it isn’t great. at least we agree on the haunting and " The Body Snatcher". cheers.

[quote=“Bad Lieutenant, post:6739, topic:141”]The Body Snatcher is a horrible film. Extremely boring, offering only a tiny bit of excitement in the end. Not much body snatching going on, a whole lot of talking though, and the main plot device is a pathetic little girl that can´t walk. 2,5/10 for the fact it has Karloff and Lugosi, and it’s only 73 minutes long.[/quote]fraid i don’t agree BL, but as i said each to their own, i like this and i think Karloff’s performance is perhaps his best, you may laugh but worthy of an oscar, he is at times, kind,considerate, murderous and evil through the film. A great actor. the film suffers a bit nowadays from when it was made but i, like stanton like Val Lewton’s series of films. Anyway, cheers Bl

I have just seen Broken Arrow (a decent Western which was apparently the first movie to side with the Indians) and 3:10 to Yuma (the original, with nice high-contrast cinematography and with Glen Ford taking the acting honours).

Appaloosa

Got this one at Christmas but only just got around to watching it.
Great little film in my opinion. Sedate in pace but always held my interest and had multi dimensional characters which were very welcome and made the film very thought provoking. Ed Harris directs well I think and he gets great value from his creative team. In particular the cinematographer (Dean Semler) and the art director; the sets, props and costumes look terrific despite the fact that the film obviously did not have a massive budget by today’s Hollywood standards.

The cast are also very good. Harris and Viggo Mortensen interact beautifully together and Jeremy Irons works well as the bad guy ranch boss. As does Timothy Spall as one of the nervous town aldermen. Also nice to see Lance Henriksen in a western again.

Watched this one with the wife and she enjoyed it too which is always a plus, although I think Seraphim Falls is still her favourite western of recent years. I’d recommend either. In fact, the thing that struck me as I was watching this one was, despite the fact that we hardly get any new westerns made these days, the standard of the ones which are made is very high indeed. Maybe the difficulty in getting one green lighted at all ensures that those that make it through will be of the highest calibre.

Just watched Open Range on the box - and as I sort of remembered - pretty slow and melodramatic first half, and a blow you away shoot it up second half. Half of this movie is utterly fantastic - guess which half?! :wink:

I sort of shared your opinion when I first watched it years ago when I was about 11. But I’ve definitley come to really enjoy the films slow build pacing. The finale shootout tying the whole film together. The tension and suspense before that is great. Definitely a well made film.

Yes, maybe when I’ve matured more … :wink:

Very true indeed. I was thinking that there most be one or two Westerns coming out each year, and each one gets praised hugely. Perhaps the critics want to try and get more Westerns made.

“Shoot Up At Medicine Bend”( 1957) A definitely lesser Randolph Scott Starrer that looks like it comes from the 1930,s or 40’s and would have starred Roy Rogers or Gene Autry,as it is full of knockabout and silly, simple comedy, has 3 u.s Calvalry soldiers (scott and a young James Garner, among them) who go after some crooked arms sellers responsile for scott’s brother’s death. They go swimming get their clothes stolen and go round most of the film dressed as quaker like religious members.Silly but harmless and forgettable. not among old leatherface’s best.

3 Bullets for a Long Gun 1970
South African western which at times seems like a weekend do it yourself job. A bit rubbish but has its moments.

“Gunpoint” (1966)
-Audie Murphy

Plot: IMDB
A Colorado sheriff pursues a ruthless gang of train robbers into New Mexico, where he has no official jurisdiction. Accompanying him is a motley posse, including a sharp-shooting gambler whose fiancee the gang has kidnapped.

Fun, but standard western adventure. Plenty of action and a little bit of intrigue and romance. Nothing great or original but it was still entertaining to watch.

Valerii & Leone: My Name is Nobody[url]http://www.spaghetti-western.net/index.php/Mio_nome_è_Nessuno,_Il[/url]
-Can’t remember how many times I watched this, maybe 25-30 times now. Favorite I can watch over and over again.

[quote=“Bill san Antonio, post:6753, topic:141”]Valerii & Leone: My Name is Nobody[url]http://www.spaghetti-western.net/index.php/Mio_nome_è_Nessuno,_Il[/url]
-Can’t remember how many times I watched this, maybe 25-30 times now. Favorite I can watch over and over again.[/quote]

Write a good English language review about it, Bill, we need one
(and I have been writing about Hill a bit too much lately …)

Been rewatching some classics this week:

I’ve already watched Death rides a horse & Once upon a time in the west and I’m planning to watch The big gundown and Day of anger today.

Viewed Journey To Shiloh.

Group of seven men start out on a journey to join the cavalry. Journey is slow going and when the battle finally comes it is a bit lacklustre. Interesting cast though who look so young which includes; Jan Michael Vincent, Don Stroud, Michael Sarrazin and James Caan.

“Cemetary without crosses” and “Ride lonesome” has been re-watched.

I’m watching [glow=red,2,300]The Cry of the Black Wolves [/glow] right now (on German TV).

Well, well, well… What am I gonna say about that one? This little German movie is more or less a poor ‘White Fang’ imitation and far from a good film. It’s fun to watch anyway, lots of German actors (of course) and nice landscapes…

[quote=“Bluntwolf, post:6758, topic:141”]I’m watching [glow=red,2,300]The Cry of the Black Wolves [/glow] right now (on German TV).

Well, well, well… What am I gonna say about that one? This little German movie is more or less a poor ‘White Fang’ imitation and far from a good film. It’s fun to watch anyway, lots of German actors (of course) and nice landscapes…[/quote]

Fuck! I wanted to record this one!

If You Meet Sartana, Pray For Your Death
Been reading the various “Sartana” threads and decided to rewatch this one. I find this film to be rather surreal. Gianni Garko reminds me of a cross between James Bond (another thread) and an anime character called Hellsing. Don’t know if any of you are familiar with this. ???
All in all this film is my fave of the “Sartana” films. He’s smarter, better looking, better dressed and cooler than every one else he comes across, and they should feel privileged to be killed by him. Special mention goes to Klaus Kinski of course. Just wish he was around a little longer.