The Last Western You Watched? ver.2.0

Enjoyed a touch of Miles Deem…
Four Came To Kill Sartana, bit better than most of Deem’s fliks for me, no cars visible in shot etc and Jeff Cameron is always “great” fun

2 Likes

Requiem for a Gringo German Colosseo DVD.
Strange atmosphere in the whole film. I want to watch it again.

2 Likes

The old way
Descent revenge western with Nicolas Cage starring.
Reminded me a bit about Unforgiven, maybe because of the “bad guy turns good because of wife”.
Just a nice pasttime, no big one IMHO
Best scene for me was the campfire scene where father and daughter have some discussion.

3 Likes

Two fairly recent excellent Westerns of note…

First, 2016’s ‘Brimstone’. This is as gritty and tough a watch as they come; excellent acted, with Guy Pearce portraying the meanest, nastiest, unscrupulous Reverend ever seen in a no-holds barred tale of Western woe and degradation.

Next, ‘The Homesman’ (2014).

Directed, Produced by, and starring Tommy Lee Jones (who also contributed to the beautiful script),
this is the polar opposite of the self-seeking, antagonistic ‘Brimstone’.
Hilary Swank portrays a frontier-woman who unselfishly agrees to undertake a perilous wagon journey in order to help three wives who have been ‘broken’ by the harsh conditions in the untamed West.
Yet again, a difficult watch at times, but ultimately one about redemption and self-sacrifice against all the odds.

Both Westerns are worth checking out - but be prepared for a rough and brutal double-bill… :cowboy_hat_face:

6 Likes

Really liked Brimstone. Would definitely watch that again!

2 Likes

Hope you didn’t fall into a terrible depression … !!!

Both very well made movies (Homesman would be my preference) but emotionally draining.

3 Likes

Let’s put it this way, amigo…I’m glad I didn’t get round to watching ‘Brimstone’ at Christmas!
As excellent as it is, it is so very, very, very, very, very, very, very bleak…
In fact, the only thing bleaker than this would be a 25th Dec. without ‘Ruby Port’, ‘The Great Escape’, and a good stuffing…

Then again, (looking on the positive side), I had one of those nasty seasonable bugs during the festive period, and felt pretty sick and miserable for two weeks…so the film may have had the adverse effect, and cheered me up! :laughing:

Note: Speaking of which, I actually fell into an unexpected ‘deep, dark depression’ last week…some idiot had left a man-hole uncovered!! :wink:
The good news? The wine bottle in my back-pack was saved… :grin: :wine_glass:

1 Like

Boom, boom! - as Basil Brush used to say :wink:

I was just thinking you could have gone for the triple and included ‘Bone Tomahawk’ , just to end the evening on a cheery note ?

2 Likes

Arrow are releasing The Tin Star in April!

9 Likes

Finally saw Wild Bill. Don’t think I ever saw it before. Very odd but also strangely compelling

1 Like

Hope this is for the UK!

1 Like

Very nice!!! I guess I should start posting titles I want on blu-ray here more often :laughing:

4 Likes

Yes, go ahead and talk about how much we need Hate is my God…

2 Likes

Dean this is Filmart we are talking about… we could all be talking about how much we want it but it could be another decade before they release it.

Nah, have faith, it’s only been about 10 years… and counting :frowning_face:

8 Likes

Going to treat the family to my 4K presentation of Rio Bravo (Hawks, 1959) later this afternoon. I fear it’ll be a bit too old-fashioned for them but, well, sod 'em. I’m watching it. I’m not mad keen on The Duke but this is a good’un, alongside True Grit (Hathaway, 1969) and The Searchers (Ford, 1956). In fact if I see any of them pulling faces or looking at their watches I shall make it a Marion Morrison triple bill. So there.

3 Likes

supposedly coming out this year based on a new 4k scan. never give up hope :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I watched ‘Hostiles’ (2017) for the first time…and what an excellent film!

Great acting from Christian Bale, Wes Studi, Rosamund Pike, Ben Foster, and company.

Beautiful cinematography and scenery that is breath-taking to behold.

A haunting soundtrack.

A magnificent and truly memorable tale of how hate for a particular race can turn to mutual respect…a poetic allegory of the Old West that demands several repeat viewings.

6 Likes

Hope you’re right, Seb, I was thinking of contacting them. I like the film alot!

well it is what they told me in 2022, haha

2 Likes