The Last Western You Watched? ver.2.0

I see…

dumb-and-dumber-lloyd

7 Likes

Just had a watch of Bounty Killer in Trinity, enjoyable slice of Fidani-esque Jeff Cameron action, then started Black Killer and saw a lot of the same footage in both fliks… No expense spared or used

2 Likes

Watching a masterpiece…
Corbucci’s Django, the new Cult Film blu-ray print from the recent triple boxset… Nice to see it in such a clear print

4 Likes

Popsjnr, when you watch ‘Django’ in such a gorgeous, restored state, it really is vibrant and beautiful, isn’t it?
I felt the same when I received the recent ‘Cult’ BD box-set.

4 Likes

Die Zeit der Geier / Last of the Badmen - Koch DVD.
Good, but could have been better.

1 Like

Couldn’t they all ?

:wink:

6 Likes

Apache Drums (1951) , Hugo Fregonese

Following the recommendation by a current Spanish film producer on Twitter I checked out this low budget affair. While I’m usually not a fan of westerns about Injun attacks, this one I actually enjoyed. There are several cringeworthy moments with cheesy dialogue (and singing!), but overall this one has a unique, strange atmosphere that made it very much worthwhile. It has quite a bit of sun, dust and desert, and along the way the siege element becomes increasingly prominent. Also, in some key details, I think it does things a bit differently for 1951. Neither the blue-eyed good guy nor the fighting priest are the real heroes of the piece, for example.

The last act is set in a church where the remaining settlers barricade, and there’s a claustrophobic element in the imagery. The church has windows (without glass) up high near the roof, and when occasionally warriors come flying down into the church, their full bodies painted in all sorts of dayglow colours, it all gets almost as surreal as a dark fairytale, or a nightmare.

Considering its age and budget (no stars, small cast, few locations), I thought that was an interesting one.

2 Likes

I continued my Miles Deem journey with Adios Companeros… And my standards must be slipping like crazy coz I thoroughly enjoyed it, might be alongside Four Came to Kill Sartana as my favourite (so far…) of Fidani’s movies… Hunt Powers was a great Butch Cassidy, and Jeff Cameron is creeping up my rankings as a spaghetti star

3 Likes

:rofl:

Enjoyed a double-bill of ‘Young Guns’ 1 & 2…I’ve always loved these films, and Emilio Estevez makes a memorable Billy the Kid.

“Yoo hoo, I’ll make you famous…”

2 Likes

Two Crosses at Danger Pass - French DVD

I met Kiefer Sutherland at a horror con last year, and he was doing duo photo ops with Lou Diamond Phillips, that was really cool.

4 Likes

Good for you, Dean. :+1:

I’d love to have met Kiefer and Lou. Glad that you got to experience that. :grinning:

Of course, Kiefer appeared in another of my all-time fav films, ‘The Lost Boys’ (1987).
And, just like vampires, it never grows old.

1 Like

Yes I’ve seen Kiefer at two Lost Boys reunions now. This time I actually got to meet him, since he was there for the the full weekend. In 2019 he just popped in for a couple of hours during his UK music tour. Busy guy!

1 Like

Sat down with a couple of beers last night and watched the restored ‘Django’, as part of the ‘Cult SW Boxset’.
Oh boy! That was the right choice after a hard day…

Beautiful picture and sound quality (the Italian track, because I can’t abide the atrocious English dub)…
It’s the first time that I’ve really beheld the film’s beauty in all its glory.

Gorgeous, influential, audacious, and a total bloody delight from start to finish. :cowboy_hat_face:

9 Likes

May God Forgive You… But I Won’t Explosive Blu-Ray
300px-Kehle

5 Likes

One of the few I don’t have and have never seen

Seb , If you are referring to ‘May God Forgive You, But I Wont’ , then it is certainly, IMHO, worth seeking out…

A so-so, but eminently entertaining revenge SW…with a stand-out performance from George Ardisson.

There’s some great music in this one as well; even if, occasionally, the score from ‘Goldfinger’ is used for the chase scenes.

2 Likes

Yeah. For some reason I missed out on a review copy of it, and it is still quite pricey… I have it on a few eBay watch lists so I will buy it if I find a cheap used copy or so. I am not in a habit of spending 18+ euros on so-so flix…

1 Like

Adios Gringo Again lol… man I love this movie…all Gemma’s films really though. I know there are rights issues with some of Gemma’s films but I hope they can be cleared up at least in some territory so we can get some blu-ray releases. One day!

4 Likes