The Last Western You Watched? ver.2.0

Brother Outlaw is indeed his most budget affair, but still there is like two or three very well directed scenes in it in my opinion. May God Forgive You… I Won’t is a better film than Cjamango.

When it comes to Spags and genre movies one most go beyond what the DVD / Blu-Ray market has to offer, because with cases like Cjamango and Mulargia there’s no fair representation really.

The Koch Media release of Cjamango is ok surely?

Ah sorry, what I meant is that Mulargia’s best movies is not available on DVD or Blu.

1 Like

Go to the database page, use the search function. You will get a full filmography there.

I prefer Cjamango.

May God Forgive You… I Won’t is a more mediocre affair.

Thanks. :+1:

W DJANGO is a favourite of mine, I didn’t realise it was directed by Mulgaria though.

What do you think of Pray to God and Dig Your Grave?

I like it, but it is a rather confuse film, and the ending is a big but bad joke.

You should read the film’s thread, there I wrote more, and there are discussions about it being probably directed by Fidani.

1 Like

Yesterday I watched:

-…E per tetto un cielo di stelle (6/10 for me)
-Prega il morto e ammazza il vivo (5/10 for me)
-Perché uccidi ancora (5/10 for me)

The first one is less spaghetti than others but it has a good plot, Petroni did a different SW, more focused on the friendship of the characters than on making a film full of violence. The worst thing is that its narrative is irregular: there are very dramatic secuences mixed with others of silly comedy and both don’t fit well. Still, it’s got some pretty good footage and the music of Morricone is superb. I liked it.

The second one is a low budget film, a differente, slower in tempo, nearly a thriller, with very few locations and a bit of psychological component. Vari uses his lack of resources in his own benefit. Not bad, interesting at some points but definitely not in my alternative top 20.

The last one is a little bit simple, but a good example of SW with a revenge theme. Pretty well directed in the action sequences by Jose Antonio de la Loma (and Edoardo Mulgaria), a Spanish director known here for creating the ‘Quinqui’ saga ‘Perros callejeros’ (this was a very popular sub-genre in Spain in the late 70’s and early 80’s of films about drugs, robberys and outcasts, progatonized by non-professional actors who in some cases, were real thiefs and drug addicts…it was like a mix of italian neorealism and (again) italian poliziotteschi). It’s not a bad movie, but De la Loma shows us his cards very early on, there is a very interesting beggining, but the main character (Steffen) doesn’t get involved in the resolution of the familiar conflict (deux ex machina, here we go) and from then on the villain changes for an unknown one and it makes I lost my interest (I mean, the main character doesn’t have a personal war against this guy like he has with the main villain, he just chases him because he’s kidnapped his sister).

On the first one also known as A Sky Full Of Stars For A Roof I agree, boring/unfitting comedy but fantastic Morricone theme a bit unusual theme for him. On my scale the comedy renders it just a 5/10.

The second one, also known as, His Name Was King I also agree on or found it rather boring 5/10.

The third one, “your” Blood At Sundown (from 1965), I haven’t watched, but “my” Blood At Sundown (from 1966, 1000 dollari sul nero) also with Steffen (and Garko) I have recently upgraded to a 7/10 mainly thanks to the overall mood - a bit comic book feeling such as the although even better Cemetery Without Crosses.

BLOOD AT SUNDOWN is one of the most recent Steffen films I have watched. I am starting to discover the ones where he is isn’t the stoic stereotype everyone makes him out to be. $7 DOLLARS ON THE RED is another film that required him to act.

Eh. The second is Shoot the Living and Pray for the Dead and the third one is best known as Why Go on Killing?

1 Like

Yes sorry, that was the one I really ment, rather boring and I actually rate Shoot the Living and Pray for the Dead 4/10 (and the one I mistakenly mentioned 5/10 not as boring but rather bleak).

Well, it’s not “MY” title, it’s THE title hahaha.

It’s just as Bill_san_Antonio said: Shoot the Living and Pray for the Dead and Why Go on Killing? . Sorry for putting the original tittles, but I am not familiarized with English titles and I think is more “universal” to use the original one, in wich everyone could be familiarized.

Yeah, but I was referring to that Perché uccidi ancora is known (also) as Blood At Sundown (according to IMDb) which “coincidently”) also the other SW with Steffen I mentioned is called (but the latter also is called One Thousand Dollars on the Black :slight_smile: ).

It can be a bit confusing with all these alternative SW titles :slight_smile:

Holy shit!what a mess…but you know that if there is a “dollar”, “coffin” or “blood” in the title, at 90% you can say it’s a spaghetti western. :wink:

2 Likes

Yes, and “Django” :slight_smile:

1 Like

Just watched last night in a theater of the film library (an old analogic 35mm copy):

ONCE UPON A TIME IN THE WEST

I’ve already watched it several times, of course…but never in that way. The best Sergio Leone film. An absolute masterpiece. I was thinking how different it is compared with his other westerns, you can clearly see he wanted to take distance from his previous works.

4 Likes

In a way I think it is a little more American Western (which I nearly only watched as a kid over 50 years ago) influenced than the more typical SW style he was the leader of the years before, but he still created a completely other atmosphere which included many of the SW signs. It is a masterpiece.
I rather watch this film 10+ times on a row than once his 5th effort in the genre.

1 Like