The Last Western You Watched? ver.2.0

I know the titles but I haven’t seen them. Whenever I hear the name Jesse James I remember seeing the Brad Pitt movie and the bloke in front of me falling asleep! When he started snoring the theatre erupted into laughter!!

How dare he! The Assassination of Jesse James is probably one of the greatest westerns to come out in recent times.

2 Likes

I was OK with it, it was a strong script I’m just not a fan of Pitt. But over the last ten years some great westerns have come out.
I have to tell you this. When the true Grit remake came out there was a near walk out!!

Damn any reason why. I’ve only watched the original True Grit which I enjoyed.

Jeff Bridges accent and that alone. It is funny to me because I come from the North of England where we have very distinct accents Even I struggle to understand folk from the other side of town!!
But Jeff’s southern drawl is a bit too thick. The original is a much better film. The Duke made the role of Cogburn his own. Nobody could best him.

You said that before.
But how possible it is that a US film made in 1966 could be influenced by Spags? And by which?

A genre nobody cared for in the USA before the Leone films were released there, and they were not released there before 1967.

Brooks’ film was very successful, here in Germany much more than the most successful Spags released in these years (FoD, FaFDM, Djangos with Nero), and I’m sure it was in fact The Professionals which had some influence on later SWs.

Yeah, this guy Beaumont he doent’t know what he’s talking about, to me he’s a phoney, more like a troll.

Sorry Stanton you pointed out the glaringly bad typo. It should have said lots of influence on SW.
You are right. After viewing it again I could see your point, my own comments on similarities being coincidental.
The Professionals with its Mexican Civil War setting is used as a counter-culture meaning for the free thinking 60s youth audience. It challenges the tradition of westerns to that point, bringing the civil rights movement to the table, embodied by Woody Strode.
Jack Palace the archetypal western villain here plays a cerebral, heroic figure as Jesus Raza. Raza means People in Spanish. The character being a flawed saviour to the Mexican people.
The Professionals themselves pose the question of the dubious values of the hired guns and the unscrupulous paymaster who cheats and manipulates to get his way.

I can assure you that I don’t live under a bridge waiting for Billy goats.

To be completely honest I had forgotten the USA release dates of Fistful of Dollars and sequel.

The Sisters Brothers - Had some great scenes and excellent cast, unfortunately it fell flat for me. I liked its attempt to do some different things with western characters/story but overall it just didn’t work very well. The movie feels bland and I can’t imagine wanting to revisit it

I also noticed there has been a recentish (2008) comedy western with Terence Hill called Doc Hill. Has anybody seen this thing?

Is The Sisters Brothers the one with Joaquin Phoenix?
The Terence Hill one goes by the titles of Doc West and Trigger Man too so I am having trouble locating a decent copy.

I made topic page about Homage Spaghetti westerns and ManWithaName mentioned Doc Hill/Doc West.

Yes, that’s Sisters Brothers. Along with a few more big name actors. I noticed the credits said with participation of Rutger Hauer, not sure what the deal was with that

Doc West can be watched for free on tubitv.com (legal streaming site). It has ads but if you use adblocker in your browser, it blocks the ads. The downside is you gotta watch it on your computer. You can stream it to your TV using a device like roku or whatever, but ads can’t be blocked there - still, its free and good quality. There are a lot of westerns and other genre movies on that site

Should I pass on SB? Must have been one of Hauer’s last films.
Thanks for the info, I have a Chrome cast so I will try to watch Doc West through that. If I like it I will probably get a copy.:+1:

Lots of people liked Sisters Brothers, lots didn’t

I think its worth one watch to find out.

There are at least a few good shooting scenes

I will give it a shot (no pun intended). I am assembling a long viewing list since signing up to the forum!

Really? Don’t know why he should be a troll?
He seems to be very enthusiastic about the genre, and so far he is not trying to offend other people here.

2 Likes

I and my wife just have suffered through How The West Was Won from 1962.
Nice was the image quality of the Bluray and very nice mountain views etc.
But in spite of John Wayne, Henry Fonda, James Stewart, Gregory Peck, Lee Van Cleef, Eli Wallach, Richard Widmark et al it is a rather tame, not so interesting and slighly boring film. I have more than 40 SWs in my collection that I prefer to view instead of this one.

Have just started Blackthorn and so far am very impressed. I’m only 20 minutes in and thus far its putting all the recent American westerns I’ve watched to shame. Beautiful scenery, which also varies quite a bit by location and it has nailed the proper tone of a western.

1 Like