The Last Western You Watched? ver.2.0

He is The Commodore, the person who hires the Sisters Brothers. He doens’t have a single line in the movie, of I remember well. I liked the movie. Some European critics mentioned it among their best movies of the year (it got a few raving reviews). I don’t think it was a masterpiece, or even near, but it was a nice, different western, and I liked it better than a couple of other recent westerns that tried to be different

Maybe not, but when someone is not being credible on the subject matter, then he’s in doubt!..So it ends here.

Fair Enough.

Just finished and my opinion did not change. Easily in the top few westerns of the last 20-30 years. I particularly loved how they worked in all the western scenery elements from lush greens to mountains and desert. Great music as well.

I really don’t know why Americans have such a problem making a proper western. You’d think being in America it would be a fairly simple task, but no, none of them ever compare and instead they all have the tone of every other American movie, but set as a western instead. They can’t even help but to use the same kind of musical scores with a slight western theme.

Ah I see… I only remember him being dead in the coffin at the end.

1 Like

Actually many SW fans have imo pretty strange views when they compare Spags and US Westerns. I often wonder which US Westerns they have seen …

And the influence of Spags on US Westerns is a tricky topic …

Audiard is a very interesting director, but The Sisters Brothers is not amongst his best. But it is an unusual film though, and maybe it will get better on a second view.

Whenever I talk about American westerns, its generally about all post-spaghetti period ones, of which I’ve seen a lot. If I’m referencing the old stuff, I usually say so with the clarification that I haven’t watched much of it yet because I generally haven’t cared for what I’ve seen. Although still haven’t gotten around to watching ones like Tall T yet

US westerns that came out in the mid to late 1960s I do find similarities with Spags (occasionally) but I admit I find the question of who influenced who confusing. Due to the different release dates etc.
Again probably coincidence.

The main Hollywood westerns are defined by these directors:
John Ford
Budd Boetticher
Howard Hawks
Anthony Mann

In general I find some of classic period westerns hard to sit through especially the Ford ones.
The Tall T being Boetticher’s crowning achievement.
Hawks Rio Bravo, El Dorado and Rio Lobo are practically the same story but are fresh each time.
Anthony Mann’s essential viewing is The Man From Laramie. Winchester 73 I found good and aparantly The Naked Spur is good too.
C

I’m not very knowledgeable about westerns from the mid 90s to the present. Especially the last 10 years.

I liked De Battre mon coeur s’est arrêté, but some of his other movies (like Le Prophète, that was very populair among critics and cinephiles) not so much. I saw The Sisters Brothers only once and thought it was meandering too much and also went on a bit too long. But, as said, I enjoyed it. Will be interesting to see how it feels like on a second view

First time I saw any footage of The Sisters Brothers was in Almería. It was playing on a tv in a shop, as some sort of advertising, because it was (partially) shot there.

Recently bought the dvd of the movie. Quite an original film, in terms of pace and mood. But definitely not your standard payer. Quality actors involved as well. One to watch again, for sure. To get something more out of it, perhaps.

I’m trying to figure out exactly what I didn’t like about Sisters Brothers overall, and I’m having a lot of trouble placing it into words. The more I reflect on it, the more I think it was a better western than my initial impression. I think it does warrant a rewatch in the future.

The intro scene really grabbed me but lost its grip a bit as the film proceeded with a bit too much meandering as scherp put it.

I did enjoy the shootouts and the different characters. I like all the actors in this quite a bit, they’re all favorites actually. So perhaps it was a bit a disappointment that it didn’t turn out better.

1 Like

Slow West. Wow, gorgeous scenery. Lately I’ve been thinking about westerns with colorful scenery instead of the more usual dusty and plains tones because I often get in the mood to watch Outlaw Josey Wales this time of year. Slow West fits the bill perfectly. Can’t believe I waited so long to watch this

The Outlaw Josey Wales is my favourite Western.

Josey Wales could be better but it’s a favorite simply because of its scenery. Being from Missouri, it reminds me a lot of home in the forested areas, even tho it wasn’t shot here. It’s one aspect I feel is often lacking in westerns, as usually everything is more dried out and desert or plains looking

I like diverse locations in westerns too. It breathes life in to it. I believe that the location is a character its self in these films. I from the North of England and Green Hills and valleys surround the city I live in.

The Ballad of Lefty Brown (Moshe / 2017)

Enjoyed this one quite a bit. A nice twist to follow the sidekick character as the lead which Bill Pullman plays well. A flawed character with a strength rather than a strong character with a flaw. Definitely worth a viewing if you are interested in recent westerns. @autephex

2 Likes

Sounds interesting! New perspectives in old, old genre are always welcome viewing!

Thanks for reminding me of this one. Another I’ve had in my different queues and forgotten about. I’ll give it a watch soon & report back.